Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,801,504 times

Advertisements

Always except a few classes where the instructors spoke an English language I never knew existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,437,327 times
It's necessary, completely and totally. I'm glad I put some effort into it. Not sure where'd I'd be without it.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM

646 posts, read 462,957 times
Yes, I did even at times it seemed a bit useless and "too slow."

Still, I loved learning and still do.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 PM

23,934 posts, read 32,265,309 times
Loved elementary school. Liked HS - but thought of it as college prep. LOVED COLLEGE.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,807,296 times
In high-school, I attended an academic hell-hole where students were harassed for doing well. However, I did enjoy college and my frat days.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,403,844 times
Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. I guess mostly did.

But decades later I must say I did not know how bad it was at the time.

I think double-entry accounting should be mandatory n high school, though not taught from the perspective of getting a job as an accountant. Most people don't need to know corporate accounting versus sole proprietorship, but a household is mostly like the latter. I don't even know if my high school had accounting when I was there.

I have checked their website. There are two elective accounting courses and the tuition is now $10,000 per year.

If I was 13 years old today I would think $2,000 worth of THE RIGHT BOOKS could do more good than their $40,000 "education". It is so curious that educators don't suggest a National Recommended Reading List.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Buccan...rds=james+bach

The son of the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

psik

Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM

416 posts, read 629,100 times
It was hell. I'm most likely autistic, was never diagnosed or given help, I'd say the worst thing was my inability to socialize so I was heavily bullied. Didn't mind some of the school work, but hated teachers that loaded me with rote homework. I needed that time to recharge.

Wish I was home schooled.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,749,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
LOVED school! I still love learning. Spending a day in the library is my idea of heaven.
Funny, this is the post that inspired me to participate in this thread, because my idea of heaven is also spending the day at the library. But. . . I hated school with a passion. I believe I had some good reasons.

First of all, I got the world's worst kindergarten teacher--she was a miserably unhappy woman who was probably in her 50's and had never married and she hated small children, or at least had no patience for them. She was abusive--her favorite form of punishment was to grab your hand and yank your pinky finger back really hard--I think she did that b/c she knew it wouldn't show bruises but at some point in my life it's obvious that I had broken my pinky so I'm wondering if it's from that. I was absolutely terrified of this woman and I remember going to my mother one day and asking her how long I had to go to school--when was graduation. She said 18 so I pressed further and discovered that the legal age to drop out was 16, so I counted the years and set my sights on that date. At five!

As I went thru school I developed a love for reading, which I had taught myself how to do, but was always annoyed when the teacher would take my book away for reading when I wasn't supposed to. Found out later I had a raging case of inattentive ADD which added to my school misery and then I got bullied later in 6-8th grade, so I developed a lot of anger and in fact ended up dropping out at 15. I swore I'd never set foot in a school again but I did get my GED and then went to college at 18 with my class. It took 12 years to graduate, but I did. B/c of my early experiences I chose to homeschool my girls and they did well with it but went back to school in high school and did well with that also.

Skip ahead a few years--I'd been feeling this call to be a teacher for awhile but I ignored it b/c of all my bad experiences but things like that don't let you go and I did a stint as a sub and decided that's where I belong--in a classroom with special ed kids. Ended up teaching high school special ed and while I would not yet call myself a good teacher, there are some things I do really well and one of them is bonding with the students--had a mom tell me last night that her son is thriving in my classroom and she is just thrilled--several parents have told me this. Those comments make me happy and I believe that my early experiences have helped develop my empathy for these kids. Our favorite joke in the classroom is, "What is the sum of. . . Oh look, a squirrel!"

Anyway, despite all of my antipathy towards school in general I have never stopped learning, even during my darkest times, and I read voraciously no matter how busy I may be. And sometimes, just sometimes, I'm even in the mood to do a little math just for the fun of it!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And sometimes, just sometimes, I'm even in the mood to do a little math just for the fun of it!
I'm a little weird like that, too. I have more points on Khan Academy than my kids!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,287,100 times
I loved 'school' from preschool through postdoctoral work. I still look forward to going to school every day, but now I'm on the professorial side of things. The academic life is very much like school. I read (scientific) literature, write papers, I do lab work, I prepare presentations, and I meet with students. Honestly the only part of my job that isn't incredibly enjoyable is the administrative work, patent filing meetings, and grading introductory level course exams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education