Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM

17 posts, read 15,563 times

Advertisements

Honestly I can't think of a single life skill I learned by graduating HS and i grew up in NY NJ MD IL Nothing applicable like a basic finance course, basic course on nutrition. It's no wonder our most lucrative industries have to compete with people from the third world like India routinely. Our education system is HORRIBLE. It doesn't engender any practical or theoretical skills, critical thinking, rhetoric.z

I can't htink of how much better our country would be off we if taught hard or technical skills in high school and put as much emphasis on them as the humanities.

Last edited by manimgoindowndown; 04-25-2015 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
The purpose of college is not to teach "life skills." If you didn't learn any critical thinking or theoretical skills, perhaps you should have gone to a better college. Perhaps you should have posted this is the Education forum.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 PM

17 posts, read 15,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The purpose of college is not to teach "life skills." If you didn't learn any critical thinking or theoretical skills, perhaps you should have gone to a better college. Perhaps you should have posted this is the Education forum.
Changed it meant before college (so mandatory level education)

Old 04-25-2015, 09:46 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Good question. You would be surprised how many young people I have worked with who cannot do addition or subtraction without the use of a calculator. Forget about multiplication. It really does cause problems when people have to go running for a calculator for everything. Better than causing screw ups I guess, but they still manage to cause problems.

And what happens when they cause a screw up? Aw darn, I'll get er done right next time! That ain't the work world though. They get the boot, then pout about life being unfair, and the impending need to socialize everything in the name of fairness. Basically, the world is a very competitive place. It doesn't stoop down to their level. They must find a way to propel themselves towards the top. Everyone does not get a trophy in this exercise...

The educational system in place today does not ready the majority of young people for the modern workforce. It does not produce job ready candidates capable of competing on the global scale. Our failing scores in every subject are proof of this. Instead of fixing the broken K-12 system, we expected colleges to pick up the slack, at great cost to students themselves. Ask young people if they have benefited from this shift of burden... If anything, the debt is crushing any entrepreneurial ambitions they may have had.

I don't know how such a powerful nation screws up such simple institutions.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Keep in mind that most of these "teachers" don't have significant "life skills" themselves, so no wonder they can't teach them. Why do you think that got stuck teaching grade school?

If grade schools started paying well, they could probably get some pretty talented teachers that could actually prepare kids for actual careers.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Because the government wants it that way.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Because parents should have taught "life" skills? Schools only teach "material". Skills have to be learned else where...
I blame parents more than the teachers for any failures of the education system. A kid is stuck with the parents for 18+ years, the teacher only has a student for 8 months unless you get the same teacher the next year, then 16 months.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Hs is basically glorified day care for adolescents. Tons of busy work to keep you occupied that you will never use in real life.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
It's too easy to blame the teachers and education system. What it really comes down to is that the vast majority of people are of average to below average intelligence with many being just chronically lazy. You can shove all the education you want down someones throat, but if one is too lazy to learn or simply can't learn there is little that can be done about it.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 AM

495 posts, read 684,344 times
Schools are fine. In my neck of the woods we have parents that stress getting a good education and and are there to help and encourage their kids get the most out of their education. I think there are a lot of inner city and immigrant kids and parents that dont give two s"its about school and thats whats bringing down the average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education