Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I believe Cherry Creek was the last hold out, and we've finally shifted forward for the 2015-16 school year. It has less to do with athletics than the exam schedule. Now the semester ends before winter break, which means no more holidays spent studying for finals and finishing major projects. Hooray!
Yes, that was the impetus for the earlier August start in Boulder Valley as well. Nevertheless, the whole school culture is built around an August start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, over a period of days to weeks. I don't know what link you're quoting from, but really, it doesn't matter. You make it sound as if this is accomplished with no discomfort whatsoever.
Probably not? But what's the big deal? It would mean any time not outside would feel more comfortable, especially later.

Quote:
It does seem like learning would be decreased over these "days to weeks".
Maybe, if it was more than moderately hot. Mostly I remember some people complaining about the heat, and myself enjoying some fresh air and didn't really mind the warmth and didn't see any need for it to be all air conditioned away. Knew it would colder than I liked if there was A/C.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I believe Cherry Creek was the last hold out, and we've finally shifted forward for the 2015-16 school year. It has less to do with athletics than the exam schedule. Now the semester ends before winter break, which means no more holidays spent studying for finals and finishing major projects. Hooray!
Our midterms were in high school were in the last week of January. It may have been a state-wide thing.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Probably not? But what's the big deal? It would mean any time not outside would feel more comfortable, especially later.

Maybe, if it was more than moderately hot. Mostly I remember some people complaining about the heat, and myself enjoying some fresh air and didn't really mind the warmth and didn't see any need for it to be all air conditioned away. Knew it would colder than I liked if there was A/C.
But you grew up on Long Island! There's a whole lot of country south of there.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I don't understand why this is a big deal. Schools that were built from the '70s onward in my experience have a/c. They were designed and built for central air, the same as my house. For five years, I suffered through hot Augusts and Septembers (2008 was particularly brutal) with a non-functional air conditioner. I used ceiling fans, box fans, drapes, cold afternoon showers...everything I could think of to cope with the heat. It sucked. I finally gave in and replaced the unit, and you know what? It's fantastic! I don't need it all year. I don't even need it all summer. But August can be miserably hot here in the flatlands of Colorado, and sometimes the first couple of weeks of September are, too. I won't begrudge the students and teachers some relief from the heat. Bring on the a/c, I say!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Yes, over a period of days to weeks. I don't know what link you're quoting from, but really, it doesn't matter. You make it sound as if this is accomplished with no discomfort whatsoever. It does seem like learning would be decreased over these "days to weeks".
It's from the one and only link I've posted on this thread.

Quote:
You are not going to get most school districts to agree with you. Parents have been surveyed, and surveyed, and surveyed again. They like the current schedule. The athletic calendar is built around an August start to school. The first scrimmages are in mid-August, and the first contests are in late August. This is statewide.
Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA)
http://www2.chsaa.org/sports/gymnast...letin_2014.pdf
You might find this interesting as well: http://www2.chsaa.org/sports/footbal...nd%20Early.pdf
People have also been surveyed up here and most of them aren't in favor of the 50 million price tag for retrofitting the remaining non-air conditioned schools. And you lose me whenever you mention prioritizing athletics - there's way too much of that in all aspects of American life. I'll say it again, if heat in the schools in August is a problem, try changing the calendar so kids don't go to school in August. Cut a week off Christmas vacation, shave some other vacation days, and shorten the school calendar accordingly. Ask the southern California school district where my sister-in-law lives (and many others) how they manage with a school calendar that ends in mid-June and starts after Labor Day. I know we like to throw money at problems in this country but there just may be a simpler and cheaper way to deal with this particular issue (at least in school districts that don't have extreme summers).

Oh and by the way, I love your skating!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
It's from the one and only link I've posted on this thread.

People have also been surveyed up here and most of them aren't in favor of the 50 million price tag for retrofitting the remaining non-air conditioned schools. And you lose me whenever you mention prioritizing athletics - there's way too much of that in all aspects of American life. I'll say it again, if heat in the schools in August is a problem, try changing the calendar so kids don't go to school in August. Cut a week off Christmas vacation, shave some other vacation days, and shorten the school calendar accordingly. Ask the southern California school district where my sister-in-law lives (and many others) how they manage with a school calendar that ends in mid-June and starts after Labor Day. I know we like to throw money at problems in this country but there just may be a simpler and cheaper way to deal with this particular issue (at least in school districts that don't have extreme summers).

Oh and by the way, I love your skating!
Your link was upthread and I didn't feel like looking for it last night, after a long day at work. I think it's funny that you want to see a lot of red-faced sweating kids in school, though, that you think that's a good thing. My links said people should decrease activity when they show such signs of over-heating!

Did I prioritize athletics? No, I did not. I was just pointing out ONE problem with trying to change schedules. I don't think I'm going to use your cousin as an authority, either. Jefferson County, Colorado schools were on year-round schools for years. When they finally built enough schools to accommodate everyone in traditional schedule schools, the parents expressed a desire to keep some elements of the yr. round schedule, including a late-May end of school year. Kids and their parents want finals before Christmas. There's only so much you can do. Go run for school board up there in Ft. Fun on that platform and see what happens.

I wish I were as good a skater as the real Katarina!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Your link was upthread and I didn't feel like looking for it last night, after a long day at work. I think it's funny that you want to see a lot of red-faced sweating kids in school, though, that you think that's a good thing. My links said people should decrease activity when they show such signs of over-heating!

Did I prioritize athletics? No, I did not. I was just pointing out ONE problem with trying to change schedules. I don't think I'm going to use your cousin as an authority, either. Jefferson County, Colorado schools were on year-round schools for years. When they finally built enough schools to accommodate everyone in traditional schedule schools, the parents expressed a desire to keep some elements of the yr. round schedule, including a late-May end of school year. Kids and their parents want finals before Christmas. There's only so much you can do. Go run for school board up there in Ft. Fun on that platform and see what happens.

Hey, with the reduced urine flow we can save on bathroom cleaning. But most people I've seen who adapt to summer temperatures look pretty normal. The people who tend to look stressed are the ones who eventually have to go outside after spending most of the summer in overcooled buildings.

If I was running for school board against a "install AC everywhere" person I'd probably win. But more likely, the status quo will prevail in both scheduling and cooling.

You're not the real one? I just assumed you had moved to the German quarter of Louisville after retiring.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:

Douglas County was, too. My kids did year-round until we moved north into another district. I know it's not the point of the thread, but I actually liked the year-round schedule; however, it's a nightmare for families whose kids are placed on different tracks. And once a child is in middle school, the schedule reverts to its traditional form, so there are at least a couple of years of overlap for multi-children families where it's all school all the time. In general, though, it does allow for more efficient use of the infrastructure.

Another point I've read about the earlier start is that it benefits the ski industry when students have a fall break. Just as other states lobby for late starts to protect summer tourism, we have ski season. That week in late October when the kids are out of school provides a boost to mountain tourism.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-07-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM

Yes, I'm aware of Douglas County's year round schools. I remember going to a meeting where someone from DougCo talked to a group of us in BVSD when our schools were getting overcrowded. I've also talked to other parents in DougCo who actually liked the yr round schedule. IIRC, they had a long-ish (4-6 wk?) break in June-July and then the school year started in late July. I thought they put all kids from the same family in the same track? Also, IIRC, there were some common breaks for all tracks plus the traditional schedule kids in MS/HS. I actually studied year-round at some length "back then".

BVSD is incredibly traditional, would never go for anything other than a schedule with a long summer break and the same spring break as CU's, even though most kids' families are not associated with CU.

Most ski areas other than A-Basin are not open in October, and they only "depending on conditions".
Resort Season Dates | Colorado Ski Country USA
Jefferson Co. nor the northern area districts have a fall break.

(Sorry for the CO highjack which I have participated in! We have several CO people on the thread right now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education