Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:39 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
Graduated from high school in late 70s. No AC in our south Texas school. Except for the auditorium. We loved it when we had assemblies. Of course we were young and thin. Don't remember it being too bad. Teachers probably hated it.

Did have AC in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I collected a bunch of states on A/C ownership in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-c-common.html

Interestingly, Hawaii has relatively low A/C use (I think it was about 50%). Partly due to expensive electricity and partly because many homes are built with little to no insulation.
And partly because it's beautiful most times of the year, and they have wonderful seabreezes and homes that open to the outdoors with Lanais.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education