Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:55 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,207,090 times

Advertisements

I heard that school was cancelled because the A/C was on the fritz. Huh?

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Guess I'm behind the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM

22,286 posts, read 47,230,980 times
I would think they went in gradually over time.
It's not like they all got AC the same year!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM

44,979 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

When did A/C start in schools? Shux, I went to a high falutin' Catholic high school whose tuition my parents couldn't afford -- but they sacrificed and managed somehow -- and it didn't have A/C. Same with my college even in summer session.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my edification began in 1949 (kindergarten) to June 1966 ) college graduation) when even most middle class residences didn't have A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would think they went in gradually over time.
It's not like they all got AC the same year!

And many schools in MD, where the OP lives, still don't have A/C. This in an era when school is starting earlier in August and ending later in June across the State.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,209,080 times
The only time I went to an air-conditioned school was '71-'72 school year when I went to the newly-opened Lindale Junior High School (now North County High School) in Ferndale for 9th grade.

The air-conditioning was nice, but the really great thing about going to a new school was that all of the gym and lab equipment hadn't had a chance to get broken or stolen.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,838,167 times
Quote:

Yep, these durn schools are getting high falutin these days. My kids' school growing up even had central heat.

Seriously, I doubt you could find a school built in the last 25 years that didn't have central A/C.

A small school my son taught at several years ago has been working at putting in A/C. Their school was built in the 60's & 70's. This is actually a really big deal for them as they're pretty strapped for money.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 7,297,355 times
I went to an elite prep school in the 70's and we didn't have A/C then. My kids' small Catholic high school that was built in 2004 has it, though.

I guess buildings that are built with windows that can't open have to close in hot weather when the A/C breaks.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:33 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,377,925 times
I think it's worse actually with newer buildings when their HVAC is broken because they were built without any intentions of cross ventilation and some windows only open in emergencies. We have a newish building in our school district that had a whole interior hall with no windows in the rooms. It seems very claustrophobic. Our schools got a/c over time and the last one to get it was done about five years ago.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:06 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,209,080 times
The bad part about going to a new school was that for the first month we couldn't use the shops because they workers were still in the process of wrapping all of the pipes with asbestos. That area wasn't sealed off or anything like that, we just weren't allowed to walk down that hall.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,301,023 times
Quote:

Y'think?

It's like anything else.

Newer construction typically has AC. Vintage construction doesn't, necessarily (depending on the particular vintage, obviously), but may or may not have been retrofitted at some point, depending on the financials of the district.

I went to elementary and high school in the 80s and 90s, and attended mostly in early 1900s construction brick buildings that had radiator heat and no AC ductwork. They never got retrofitted. So even though some new construction at the time was outfitted with AC, we didn't have it. In the early 2000s, my HS was torn down and a new one built, and the new one was designed with AC. My elementary school had an addition put on in the same era, the newer part of the building has AC.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,523,324 times
Stores, churches and cars didn't used to have it either. I don't hear anyone complaining that they do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education