Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,981,958 times

Advertisements

My daughter did half day (afternoon) private kindergarten last year (she has an August birthday and was 5 last year); now this year she is in public full day kindergarten and I believe it is closer to 7 hours. It was a difficult adjustment, and I still feel it is too long of a day, and starts much too early, but she's doing fine. Last year she was so well groomed; this year I just scoop her from bed to car while it's still dark outside. I figure if they want her this early, they can handle a few tangles

In any case, based on the description of your daughter, and her age, I think she would be fine in full day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:36 PM

268 posts, read 1,010,599 times
Full day--no doubt about it. I taught K for 6 years, and I can tell you that children can handle it. They are such sponges at that age!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 PM

841 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Full day all the way. I had my son in full day kindergarten (private school) the first half of the year. We moved just three weeks ago to a different state and the public school here offers just a half day. I believe it's such an outdated concept. He didn't want to go for a half day, so I enrolled him in another private full day kindergarten class. He needs that stimulation and learning experience for more than just a couple of hours per day. As one poster mentioned, a huge bulk of that half day kindergarten time is spent with snack time, putting coats and mittens on to go outside, tying shoes, etc. If the child has been in a preschool environment before kindergarten, a half day of school can be a let down.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM

137 posts, read 1,002,065 times
I teach K and I would say full day is a good decision for most kids. Where in NE do you live. I teach in the Boston area and Kindergarten is intense. No naps, reading, writing, math, science, social studies. Playing is not in the curriculum, I add it on my own. As a parent, I would encourage you to advocate for your child and ask the district if the k program is developmentally appropriate?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM

675 posts, read 2,676,400 times
Thank You everyone. We have given it a lot of thought and have decided to enroll her in full-day K tomorrow! I spoke to her pre-school teacher, and she felt it was the best option for my daughter as well. eslteacher-we live in Southborough (metrowest). I'll look into the K program-thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,569,741 times
Full day K is a good thing. We loved it for our Daughters in California and love it that they have it for my son in Arizona.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

675 posts, read 2,676,400 times
My DD is registered for full-day! Thanks everyone for your imput. I think it will be great for her, but I am going to miss her.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
My DD is registered for full-day! Thanks everyone for your imput. I think it will be great for her, but I am going to miss her.

After the first week of school you will wonder how the day went by so fast. It will seem like you have about 2 hours from the time they left for school until the time they get home.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,041,405 times
Since we are on the subject of kindergarten, does "towel time" or naps at school sound creepy to anyone? I just picture my son getting in trouble for not laying down the whole time. Can any teachers or parents who have gone through this give me a little run down. My first two only went 1/2 day, they didn't offer all day until this year. Now they don't offer 1/2 day anymore. I didn't have to do daycare so I am not familiar with this. My son hasn't taken a nap for years. Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Since we are on the subject of kindergarten, does "towel time" or naps at school sound creepy to anyone? I just picture my son getting in trouble for not laying down the whole time. Can any teachers or parents who have gone through this give me a little run down. My first two only went 1/2 day, they didn't offer all day until this year. Now they don't offer 1/2 day anymore. I didn't have to do daycare so I am not familiar with this. My son hasn't taken a nap for years. Thanks

At the beginning of the year kids are tired. Their brains are working hard and they need some down time. I know in our kids' school some kids slept and others just rested. Those that didn't need a nap were able to read books while sitting or laying quietly. Every once in a while you would walk by a kindergarten room an hour after rest time and see a kid still sleeping on the floor through all the commotion. The teachers felt that if they could sleep through that noise they really needed to sleep. By the middle of the year they pretty much did away with rest time and would have quiet reading or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education