Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM

100 posts, read 297,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Good evening! Today, all students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade received the consent forms for Title I services. With our goal that all of our students will reading at or above grade level by 3rd grade, all students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade were included. This, by no means, indicates that your child is reading below expectations, rather it is a proactive initiative to help each child depending on his/her needs. Hope this clarifies any questions or concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact me or your child's teacher to better understand your child's needs. Thank you and have a great evening.
On the consent form it mentions how schools in our district recieve funding under No child left behind act, Title 1. It is checked off as a reading remedial program. Our daughter is on par, if not above her reading level. I don't understand the motivation behind this action. If it is to gather funds for the school, I find that unethical as state and federal funds are fixed and schools that actually NEED the funds could go without because of things like this. I also don't like the idea of being an accessory to a cash-grab and dragging my kid through the mud to do it.

What would you do about this? Is this common and I'm just overreacting? This doesn't seem right to me. This letter was sent to all parents of K-2 kids. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Because they get money for each child under Title 1.
Names are submitted on forms.

I've done Title 1 remedial Math and Reading in schools and had to fill out the forms.

Sure some kids may need the extra help that Title 1 brings but to submit all names is more of a money grab.
It's a formula and number of students is part of that formula.
And that money does NOT need to go directly to student needs.
It's pretty flexible and can be used for professional development, improve the curriculum, hire tutors (that's what I was) and any other activity if it's tied to "student achievement".

Old 10-13-2015, 05:58 PM

100 posts, read 297,285 times
I think I may opt her out of this on principle. I'm shocked they are so obvious about it. I don't want my child's name on some list just to rake in extra funding.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnmastr85 View Post
I think I may opt her out of this on principle. I'm shocked they are so obvious about it. I don't want my child's name on some list just to rake in extra funding.
If she is on or above reading level she definitely doesn't need to be in that program.
I was working with kids 2-3 levels below their reading level and the materials were at their current level with slow progression.

I did the same with Math. Students were failing and below grade and I was working with materials 2-3 grade levels below where they were in hopes to catch them up.

Now there is also enrichment which is not Title 1. That is at their grade level and or a bit above to challenge them.

Make sure of the program the school has signed her up for.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,114 times
Do you know the name of the program? Title I funds can be used for on and above grade level as well. No Child Left Behind means that schools/students must show progress each year, no matter what level they are on.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
I'm not sure that this is the same thing, but it might be. Our school became a Title 1 school last year - meaning a certain percentage of the students are at or below the poverty level. This is different than when there is a school with a small percentage of students who are labelled Title 1. In our case, and it sounds like in yours, the whole school is considered Title 1 even though every child is technically not Title 1. Being a Title 1 School means the school gets extra funding. As a Title 1 school, all of the parents at our school had to sign some form acknowleding that we were doing the best with our children, would limit television watching and some other stuff (can't remember). But I remember the teacher telling me the form was specifically because it was now a Title 1 school. In our case, the school got an extra teacher and maybe some other resources.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what the school is doing. Nothing. Little FYI on Title I:
Quote:
Title I" is the federal program that provides funding to local school districts to improve the academic achievement of disadvantaged students. It is part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act first passed in 1965. That Act is reauthorized by Congress from time to time, and often given a new name. It is currently known as the No Child Left Behind Act.

Section A of Title I provides grants to states to distribute directly to school districts. This is by far the largest source of federal money for local schools.

School districts do not have to apply for Title I funding as they would have to for a competitive grant. If a school district qualifies for Title I funding, it is entitled to the money. However, the district must submit to the state education agency a plan for how it will use the funds to improve academic achievement among disadvantaged students.

"Disadvantaged" students are those who come from low-income families, are in foster homes, or are neglected or delinquent, or who live in families receiving temporary assistance from state governments.

The districts have wide discretion in determining how the money is to be used. About 83% of Title I money is used for programs serving pre-K through 8th grade. These programs must specifically serve students who are failing to meet academic standards or at risk of failing because they are disadvantaged. However, if more than 40% of the students in a school qualify as disadvantaged, the school is allowed to run "schoolwide" programs that serve all students, not just the disadvantaged.
Schools with 15% or more of children in poverty may be selected as Title I schools. Those with 40% or more can operate schoolwide programs. Those with 75% or more must receive Title I funds.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because they get money for each child under Title 1.
Names are submitted on forms.

I've done Title 1 remedial Math and Reading in schools and had to fill out the forms.

Sure some kids may need the extra help that Title 1 brings but to submit all names is more of a money grab.
It's a formula and number of students is part of that formula.
And that money does NOT need to go directly to student needs.
It's pretty flexible and can be used for professional development, improve the curriculum, hire tutors (that's what I was) and any other activity if it's tied to "student achievement".
That was a result of either your school being below 40% free/reduced lunch or a requirement of your district. The district is sent the money to be disbursed to the school based on child family income status category, not programs provided. They could very well receive money for Little Bobby based on his familiy's income and Little Bobbie receive no services with that money.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM

This is not the same Title 1 money. These are separate Title 1 grants. There's a grant for Reading and a grant for Math.

This is over and above the normal Title 1 funds a school gets.
My pay was from grant money. I did pull out remedial work with small groups of students (4-6) during the course of the day.
One thing though is that we all had to be certified teachers as it was mandated on the Title 1 funds paperwork we had to sign.

Part B - Student Reading Skills Improvement Grants

Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is not the same Title 1 money. These are separate Title 1 grants. There's a grant for Reading and a grant for Math.

This is over and above the normal Title 1 funds a school gets.
My pay was from grant money. I did pull out remedial work with small groups of students (4-6) during the course of the day.
One thing though is that we all had to be certified teachers as it was mandated on the Title 1 funds paperwork we had to sign.

Part B - Student Reading Skills Improvement Grants
Could be, but the Title I funds the OP is discussing are most likely allowed to be used school wide. There is nothing unethical about how the school has chose to use those funds. Which is, of course, why they were so obvious about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education