Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, of course part of the problem is every district is different. So when someone says their kid is getting too much homework, rather than dismiss them as whining, it is very probably true for their community. Here's a couple of thoughts:

a. Repetition: Some say repetition reinforces learning. Only to a point. Once they get it, they get it and more repetition is just busy work. But if they don't get it, the more problems is just more time spent not getting it.

b. 10 Minutes per grade. Sounds ok huh? Well 10 minutes per grade times several teachers adds up to several hours per night. We had a school meeting once where at least 150 parents in the room said there was too much homework. Teachers gave the 10 minutes per grade. Since this was 9th grade, 10 minutes per grade is 90 minutes. Times four teachers is SIX HOURs. And the teachers response was, well they must be on their cell phone. Nope. I worked with them so I KNOW how much time it took.
I think that means 90 min. total. Teachers have to keep that in mind when making assignments. I have a cousin who taught high school, and he was only allowed to give tests on certain days, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:45 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I do not believe that children should have any homework at all, in any grade. Why? Because it can be done away with, and the kids will learn just as well. My grandparents were intelligent and contributing members of society; they never had homework. What they did have was disclipline (taught at home) and competent schools and teachers who followed a study course that was far more rigorous than anything I know of today. In the 1950s I did no homework in elementary school, and later went on to earn an MS with no difficulty. In high school I had an hour called "study hall", and got all my homework done there. I did not participate in sports until 10th grade.
My older relatives all had homework, going to school in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Some were assigned research papers already in the 6th grade. When you have term papers to research and write, and book reports in addition to keeping up with daily lessons, you can't get it all done in 1 hr. of study hall. Even without the special projects, 1 hr. of study hall isn't enough time to learn a list of vocabulary and go over grammar for foreign language class, plus read a chapter for history class or do algebra problems, keep up with reading for literature class, and read the biology or chemistry chapter and answer the questions at the end of the chapter. Homework in HS more typically takes about 3 hours, because you're covering a lot of material. And there's nothing wrong it that--it's preparation for university work.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Yes, practice makes perfect!
Perfect practice makes perfect. If the child does a series of problems incorrectly, then that doesn't do much good.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
My older relatives all had homework, going to school in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Some were assigned research papers already in the 6th grade. When you have term papers to research and write, and book reports in addition to keeping up with daily lessons, you can't get it all done in 1 hr. of study hall. Even without the special projects, 1 hr. of study hall isn't enough time to learn a list of vocabulary and go over grammar for foreign language class, plus read a chapter for history class or do algebra problems, keep up with reading for literature class, and read the biology or chemistry chapter and answer the questions at the end of the chapter. Homework in HS more typically takes about 3 hours, because you're covering a lot of material. And there's nothing wrong it that--it's preparation for university work.
But in university, students are in class only 15-20 hours a week.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The ten minutes per grade guidelines are for elementary school. I've never seen it be suggested that there should be 90 minutes every day for each subject for a 9th grader. That would be twice as long as the average daily classroom time!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The ten minutes per grade guidelines are for elementary school. I've never seen it be suggested that there should be 90 minutes every day for each subject for a 9th grader. That would be twice as long as the average daily classroom time!

^^^

That's exactly the case where I live. Homework recommendations up to 6th grade. 7th grade and up, kids are managing their assignments/homework.

I like to hear about the school district that recommends 90 minutes per subjects for 9th grader. There may be an assignment that takes 90 minutes to do over a course of a few days and the kid wait until last minute to do but expecting 90 minutes per subject each day? Ridiculous claims.

From our school district page. Sounds reasonable to me.
Quote:
Sample Homework Procedures

These guidelines for a homework policy are to help clarify general expectations for students, parents, and teachers.
Homework is an important part of each child's educational program. It provides a means of teaching necessary skills of independent study and learning outside the classroom. It helps to promote good study habits and encourages students to share classroom experiences with parents.
Other reasons for homework:
  • To build interest in reading and learning.
  • To increase learning.
  • To establish self-discipline and independent study skills.
  • To encourage parent awareness of student learning.
  • To make up work due to an absence.
  • To provide an opportunity to pursue special interest of ability areas.
  • To complete work started in class.
  • To expand and/or enrich regular class work.
The following time chart suggests a minimum amount of time children should spend on homework, daily, Monday-Thursday:
Kindergarten 10-15 minutes Grades 1-3 15-30 minutes Grades 4-6 40-60 minutes

Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I hear all the time from my students about why they "didn't have time" to do their homework...and they all sound exactly like their parents.

"baseball/basketball/football/soccer" game, went to my sister's/brother's XXX game, went to the store....and my favorite..."we were running around all afternoon".

No, homework is not preventing kids from having playtime...
Did you ask them what they were doing in the evening? There's nothing wrong with running around all afternoon. How does that explain why they didn't get their homework done? There's plenty of time after dinner.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The majority of the time I have had students with piles/hours of homework, this occurred because of poor use of time on the part of the student. An assignment becomes 90 minutes of work because the student did not do any work on it in designated class time, waited untill the last minute when given a series of days on an assignment, or otherwise had time management problems. If your child routinely has excessive, lengthy assignments, don't forget to check how long they've actually been given to complete them. You may be surprised.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The majority of the time I have had students with piles/hours of homework, this occurred because of poor use of time on the part of the student. An assignment becomes 90 minutes of work because the student did not do any work on it in designated class time, waited untill the last minute when given a series of days on an assignment, or otherwise had time management problems. If your child routinely has excessive, lengthy assignments, don't forget to check how long they've actually been given to complete them. You may be surprised.
Exactly! I know a kid who went to the guidance counselor about problems completing homework in middle school. She was asked to keep a log, and it turned out she wasn't spending nearly the amount of time actually doing the work that she thought. If you interrupt your hw every 10 minutes to call a friend, watch a half hour TV show, etc, it will take much longer. Not that I think taking a break is a bad idea, mind you.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Our parents told us that if we paid attention in school then we should have no problems being able to do the homework. If we didnt want to do homework then thats what summer vacation was for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education