Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 9,626 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am moving to Dallas and will be living and working in the downtown area. The school that my children are zoned for is under preforming school. I fear I will not be able to move into a more affluent area (better school district) until I finish nursing school. What can I do to keep my children challenged and interested in learning while sending them to an under preforming school? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,398,910 times
Why would you do that to your kids?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynew4u View Post
Hello
I am moving to Dallas and will be living and working in the downtown area. The school that my children are zoned for is under preforming school. I fear I will not be able to move into a more affluent area (better school district) until I finish nursing school. What can I do to keep my children challenged and interested in learning while sending them to an under preforming school? Thanks in advance.
Look into the public charter schools in the Dallas area.
You will not be able to make up for a low performing school at home.

Dallas Public Charter Schools - Dallas, TX | GreatSchools

Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 9,626 times
I have been looking and applied for a few but since we are so late the better charter schools have wait list. I don't WANT to send my children to an under preforming school. But, I am living on a limited income and the place were we are staying is near my new job and the college I will attend. This will not be forever. A year at most.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:06 PM

361 posts, read 383,704 times
Quote:
Hello

I've stated in many past posts I have made many, many mistakes in raising children.

With my first one I had this theory that it would be educationally enriching to attend a school with a majority non-English speaking student body. The school was definitely under-performing, not the students fault though.

In a lot of ways it was enriching for my child.....just not so much in the areas of reading, writing and arithmetic. During my child's fourth grade I looked at a math test which had a 100% written on it with a big smiley face. The problem was that I looked at the math problems and every single one of them where WRONG! We were able to get the oldest back on track but it took some time. I think that teachers at "under-performing" schools have their collective hands full with not much left for academic learning.

Having said that, if I had paid better attention to what my child was doing in school we could have supplemented the academics at home and my child would have gotten the "well-rounded" education I sought.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,867,130 times
I wouldn't worry too much if it's truly just for a year. Make certain your kids read, every single day. Review their homework with them. They can make up a lousy elementary year far easier than later on.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,639,746 times
If they're in elementary school and it's just for a year, try to supplement as best you can with reading, writing and math at home.

Also, befriend the teacher and the staff. I know you're pressed for time, but talk to the teacher at the first of the year and make sure she knows you're interested in your children's education and want to help them out and also help the teacher out where possible. So much of low-performing schools is lack of parent participation, which goes hand-in-hand with poverty. Be the opposite of that and you increase your children's chances of having a good year.

Good luck with your nursing program.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
What grades are we talking about?

Honestly, I would worry more about what the quality of life would be like on a daily basis for my child. The underperforming elementary schools in our area have problems with discipline (fighting etc) and theft of other students' property.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,402,868 times
Quote:
What can I do to keep my children challenged and interested in learning while sending them to an under preforming school? Thanks in advance.
How old are they?

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...28Bookshelf%29

I suspect most of the good schools won't figure out how to implement technology well.

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
[scribd]104611461[/scribd]
http://librivox.org/thinking-as-a-sc...henry-hazlitt/

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8

The Montessori Method, (1912) by Maria Montessori
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39863...-h/39863-h.htm
http://www.archive.org/download/mont...x_64kb_mp3.zip
http://www.archive.org/download/mont...x_64kb_mp3.zip

A Short History of the World (1922) by H. G. Wells (not sci-fi but an SF writer's perspective)
Wells, H.G. 1922. A Short History of the World

Montessori Elementary Materials, (1917) by Maria Montessori
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42869...-h/42869-h.htm

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 05-21-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM

30,530 posts, read 18,004,555 times
Remember that "underperforming" school districts do not necessarily mean that the school districts do not have quality instruction available, etc. Rather, in my experience, when a school district is said to be underperforming, this generally refers to student performance on test scores, which is often an extension of what takes place in the home (i.e. parents not invested in their children's education, parents who can't read or write themselves, etc.). If your children are already up to standard, attending an "underperforming" school district won't doom them. Just stay on them like white on rice to make sure that they are doing well/understanding concepts and give them extra work/supervision as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education