Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times

Advertisements

Definitely take again, as well as ACT. Both tests score differently and people sometimes do better on one than the other. Also a big part of the score is test taking strategy. A lot of schools spend a bit of time on test prep just teaching the techniques..

I suggest a test prep course and then take it again. Also, if you are in a learning disability class, you might see if the SAT has alternatives that match your LD. My wife has dyslexia and needed extra time on tests because she could not read the questions fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
There are some basic grammar and punctuation errors in your writing. This suggests to me that you have not had the rigorous English and writing classes required to score well on the SAT. Are you enrolled in college prep classes or the basic classes?

Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
All one needs to do is read the OP's post to realize why our society needs to maintain standardized testing. Grades are almost useless anymore.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
All one needs to do is read the OP's post to realize why our society needs to maintain standardized testing. Grades are almost useless anymore.
Be fair. This is a special education student on an IEP. S/he has a reading disability. S/he probably cannot do well on the SATs, but s/he should take them over since the scores are pretty awful. Most students take the SATs more than once anyway.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:20 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightward97 View Post
so.. hmm.. I'm a junior and I took my SAT on May 2nd. My bf told me about that the scores are here! "I was oh crap!". So as I look ,it says (math 290, reading 270, writing 280)... I mean I understand the reading part was bad because I have a bad reading skill, and I have ARDS meetings , but I'm passing all my classes with A's and B's my GPA is 2.77. My monitor said I'm doing good as an regular average student, even though I'm struggling with reading, but I'm getting up there for my skill level. I'm taking English AP, because even though my reading level is low, I still love reading books (chapter books with no pictures.. humor) I still want to challenge myself so my record looks good for a scholarship. Since I'm in ROTC program and that I'm on the varsity team, and that I'm enlisted for Marines branch. Do you think I should worry about my scores and just take ?(again because this is my first time taking a SAT test).....Help me please!!

Best advice - Raise your GPA. You are misinformed if you think that "As and Bs" equate to a 2.77. That would be more like a mixture of "Bs and Cs". GET THAT AVERAGE UP!!!

Take a tutorial in SAT prep.

Try the ACT - but prepare first.

The armed forces require the ASVAP - another standardized test. The armed forces should be a calling - not something that one does when college does not work out.

Look into Test Optional Schools. Think is, most of them are very competitive. However, a few are not.

You really do need professional tutorial services. Ask your parents if they will help.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:53 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Hon, you definitely need to take the SAT again, and maybe try the ACT. Those scores are very, very low. There are lots of online helps and study guides for both tests, many which are listed in above posts. I am concerned that your school is not truly preparing you for the next steps in education. The A & B average grades do not match up with your SAT score. It is a bit perplexing that you can keep up (with an A or B) in AP English with those scores.

I am glad to hear you are trying to challenge yourself with a difficult class even though you struggle with reading. I truly wish you every good thing in your future :-)
I second possibly trying the ACT, which seems to be less about strategy and tricks than the SAT, and more about what you learned in high school. I did significantly better on the ACT then the SAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education