Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours per month should teachers work for free?
0 - no one should be expected to work free hours for their employer 49 75.38%
1-10 5 7.69%
11-20 2 3.08%
21-30 1 1.54%
31-40 3 4.62%
A teachers should be committed enough to live at school 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
This thread and its complaints make me wish I was a teacher. Yeah I think I'd trade the hassles of most professions for 'having to buy your own turkey decorations'.. Think I could fit that in, sometime during my ~4 month paid vacation/year.
While you are on your 10 week break (not 4 months) you have the privilege of paying for your own summer school in order to keep your teaching certificate current.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No, what I am saying is that teachers normally work 12 to 14 hour days five days a week. Occasionally they will do some work on weekends.
Ridiculous. Not one single teacher I know, including the unbelievably committed ones, work 14 hours (from 7am -9pm)?. That's pure fiction, and if by chance it does occur it's certainly not "normal".

A good friend of mine who teaches at the high school and coaches senior basketball laughed out loud when I showed him this thread.

This overstating to make people feel sorry for teachers has become absurd. Do teachers work hard? Sure. But they are also (in most places) well paid for the work they do. Some put in more hours than others in support ting extra curricular activities and those are the only teachers that have a case for "unpaid hours".

Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 AM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Ridiculous. Not one single teacher I know, including the unbelievably committed ones, work 14 hours (from 7am -9pm)?. That's pure fiction, and if by chance it does occur it's certainly not "normal".
It is not pure fiction. At my school, the parking lot has 12-15 cars by an hour before school starts, and usually has the SAME 12-15 cars three hours after school ends (so they've been there eleven hours). Those same teachers walk out every day carrying a heavy bag of work to do at home.

The 12-15 cars that are there that long belong to the teachers of certain subjects, which require MUCH longer hours than do other subjects. The teachers of those subjects, especially the instructional leaders within those subjects, regularly put in twelve-hour days, and fourteen-hour days are not unusual. I spend twelve hours per day at my school, and always have a few hours of work to do at home, as well.

I'm not complaining, but am just supporting that the fourteen-hour day is not "pure fiction."

Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
I guess in some roundabout way, posting on this forum IS my way of speaking out. As I stated in another post, my goal here is not to complain about a job I love. It's to educate those who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of what goes on in schools about it. I feel that the general public should be more informed of these things (this classroom library issue just being one example). If more people knew what was going on, teachers and students might have more support to get the things they need in the classroom and the things they don't need out of it.
I agree with you.

I've stated numerous times that I support teachers. I know the issues they deal with and I try to help them when I can. That being said I do wish teachers could be more vocal but I also understand their hesitance to do so. Power in numbers.

I do appreciate the work you do

Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Maybe Taxpayers should also "Band Together" and put a stop to paying Teachers during the months they don't work. Its just not fair....
I was going to ignore your posts but since you directly quoted me...

Teachers are paid for the time they work. Some ELECT to have their pay spread out over 12 months instead of 9. Others do NOT get paid during the summer, instead ELECTING to have their pay due to them only during the school year. Either way they get paid the same. NO ONE is getting paid for not working.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I have three Teachers in the family....They also get paid more because they will only work about the same amount of days. You can play with the math and the terms as one pleases, but your still being paid, even if its more for the days you do work.

Maybe when the school system figures out you don't need three Administrators for every two students, and those Administrators don't need an Assistant Administrator each, Teachers may be able to be paid more if they get results. And fired if they don't perform. Schools waste money.
Three administrators every two students?

Assistant administrators?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The majority of principals expect that. It's just how it works in the younger grades.
Then the district should be paying for the books. Teachers shouldn't have to do it unless it was their choice to have a classroom library.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
This thread and its complaints make me wish I was a teacher. Yeah I think I'd trade the hassles of most professions for 'having to buy your own turkey decorations'.. Think I could fit that in, sometime during my ~4 month paid vacation/year.
What a ****ing dismissive post.

I'm not a teacher but I spend a lot of time in my children's schools. You have no idea what you are talking about. None.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Really? I get 10 pay checks. The first comes the last work day of September and the last on the last work day of June.
Someone gave me a rep point for this post and asked if we get a choice on how we receive our checks. We don't. The district used to withhold money from each check and then issue a check in July and August, but they stopped a few years ago. We get ten checks. My last one will be the last workday in June which is the 22nd. Now we set the money aside ourselves if we need to budget for the time between then and the end of September. I'm ok with that as at least it's in my bank earning a tiny bit.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, that's your city. Our library doesn't give away free books. All books are saved for the book sales which raise money for various things the library needs. Salvation Army nor Goodwill give books away either. I was actually surprised by how much the Salvation Army and Goodwill sell used books for! Some locations they sell the books for half the cover price. I would think garage sales with a large amount of children's items being sold would be a better way to find books for cheap than most retail outlets.
Yes, garage sales are a cheaper way to buy books.the best way to get them is a retiring teacher. They are usually in good condition and are the right ones. It's rare to get that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education