Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Marriage, relationships, all human emotions that just get in the way of progress.
Upon hearing things like this, I feel all the much stronger for blowing things off like that continuously for so many years.
It's going to be a long road, but based on how the blue collar segment of society makes me feel, I'll be glad once I'm finally far away from this pack of cavemen.

Cut it any way you want, but unless you get some form of education completed in your lifetime, the upper throngs of society will still look down on you in some way.
Keep your eyes towards the top.
So you want to be alone because you think relationships get in the way of progress? That type of thinking is socially retarded. Despite what you tell yourself, and I've read some of your other posts, human beings are hard wired to be with other human beings. Sure, my life changed when I became a dad, but I wouldn't trade my son in for anything. I would rather struggle financially and have a good relationship with my son than make a million dollars a year and not have him in my life. Do you really want to be that person 60,70,80 years old with nobody in your life? There's nothing wrong with ambition and wanting to climb the ladder, but to want to be alone because you think any type of relationships get in the way is some f*cked up thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
So you want to be alone because you think relationships get in the way of progress? That type of thinking is socially retarded. Despite what you tell yourself, and I've read some of your other posts, human beings are hard wired to be with other human beings. Sure, my life changed when I became a dad, but I wouldn't trade my son in for anything. I would rather struggle financially and have a good relationship with my son than make a million dollars a year and not have him in my life. Do you really want to be that person 60,70,80 years old with nobody in your life? There's nothing wrong with ambition and wanting to climb the ladder, but to want to be alone because you think any type of relationships get in the way is some f*cked up thinking.
I know the evil I'm capable of, let's just keep it at that.

Much rather keep myself out of any unnecessary legal/crime trouble and focus that energy on something useful.
It's cool that you have that love for your son.
If that's what keeps you going all the time then hats off to you.

I don't ask women out, they don't ask me out.
So if none of us are making the effort, no harm, no foul.
But then again, I've got my standards and if they have more education than I do and a better job, then I'm more than alright with taking the Beta Back Seat.

Now, back to the original discussion and lets leave this one in the REL-FOR dust.

Last edited by bentstrider; 06-04-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 23,958 times
You should only go to college if you want an education and enlightenment. Do not go to college to make a lot of money. That's just foolish.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Please tell me who these successful people are with just an eighth grade or high school diploma.
What, you missed all the rich dudes working at Mickey Dee's or the local car wash?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I don't know how "they just happen".
I'm 31, going on 32, and women just "don't throw themselves out to people" like you're making it seem.
I think over the consequences based on the bad experiences I've seen people go through, and hear people complain about and decided just keep myself away from the whole thing.
But then again, I'm also a master at turning people down and also, more effectively, keeping myself completely unattractive.
Keep telling yourself that you do it deliberately.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
As for the above poster with the German plan for education, I too think that seems like a rather effective model.
But my only question about it is how they cater to persons that want to change careers later in life.
The German system doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I admire the European system. The students either move on to university or graduate with some marketable trade skill. It's not like here, where someone can go through 12 years of primary education just to end up at Walmart collecting food stamps.
Ignorance is bliss. Millions of Europeans get through mandatory schooling with no more skills than the average American students. The big difference in Europe is that many countries there have extensive social systems to make up for low wages. Furthermore, part of the reason that Europe appears to have a better educational system is because their native born populations are falling precipitously, so they have to import immigrant workers from poorer countries to do menial jobs ... and treat them accordingly.

Countries like Britain that have open immigration from former colonies that remained in the British Commonwealth have a lot of the same issues that the US has with educating people from diverse cultures.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I admire the European system. The students either move on to university or graduate with some marketable trade skill. It's not like here, where someone can go through 12 years of primary education just to end up at Walmart collecting food stamps.
There are many European systems, not "A" European system. Some are more flexible than others, and as Linda_d said, they have social support systems. Lots of Europeans on "the dole".

Old 06-10-2015, 05:51 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Germany

Story about the German dual vocational system.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:48 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The "trades" are not exactly easy to get into. It takes about as long as a 4 year college degree if not longer to establish yourself in something like carpentry, plumbing, electrician, etc... You don't get good at that stuff overnight.

Plumbing apprenticeships in particular are controlled by trade unions and tough to get into. If you don't know someone who knows someone you get in line and will wait a while. If you're 18 you could be waiting until you're 23 - then you have a 3-4 year apprenticeship - you're over 30 before you're really established, it's the same crap as going to college.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The "trades" are not exactly easy to get into. It takes about as long as a 4 year college degree if not longer to establish yourself in something like carpentry, plumbing, etc...
To work a trade properly, I agree. However, I've seen instances where someone gets about an hour of on-the-job training and is left alone to complete the job. One can't become proficient at a trade without a proper apprenticeship program; The trial-and-error approach doesn't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education