Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

At any rate, it serves to highlight the point that blanket statements about whether or not small ratios are advantageous can't really be made and deemed accurate. There are LOTS of different settings than the limited ones the OP is likely considering, and they aren't all equally served by the same protocols. In a variety of high-risk settings, smaller ratios are not only more academically advantageous, they are also safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How does a smaller class help you learn better?

More 1 on 1 time with the teacher? You can get that after class if you bother to take the time.

More teacher/student interaction? I find that in classes of 40 to 50 I'm still get a lot of interaction with asking and answering questions from the teacher because most students just stay silent when a teacher asks a question to the class. In fact I've had several that were too small where I was the only one who would respond. It was like a dialogue between me and my philosophy teacher because no one else would ever chime up or say anything, even after I gave almost uncomfortably long periods of time for others to answer.

Closer space? Sit in the front.

I don't get how having a few more people in my classroom detracts from my education. Grant it, I wouldn't want 400 people in a lecture hall, but I think 40-50 people per class in college and 30-40 people per class in HS and middle school would be fine, actually the ideal number for me, unless the class was heavily discussion based, where that might be a few too many.

Plus about 15% of the class isn't even there at any given time.

Having small class sizes is a very expensive goal, and I'm not seeing where the benefits are.
1) The teacher is more likely to notice struggling learners who don't ask for help after class in a small class.
2) There are fewer classroom disruptions. The bigger a class is the harder the class is to manage from a student behavior point of view.
3) It is easier to conduct alternate learning activities in smaller classes
4) The teacher has more prep time because they have less grading to do so, theoretically, their lessons should be better. When I'm not overwhelmed with grading I do a lot of research into how other teachers teach the topics I do and work on improving my lesson plans.

If the class is full of students who are there to learn and want to learn, class size doesn't matter. It matters when it's full of students who are there because they have to be and they don't want to learn the content. I would gladly take classes of 30 with students who want to learn over classes of 20 where the students don't want to learn.

And don't underestimate sitting up front. In my larger classes I cannot accommodate all of the students who want to sit up front.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
When I got my real estate license, I specifically picked a school with small classes instead of the machine that turn out 150 students a week.

I passed the classroom and state on the first try.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,078 times
Sadly in the real world, there are "no small classes". Everyone out there is competing for the same jobs you are. No one will be there to babysit you one-on-one or spoon feed you with a golden spoon fitted with diamonds.

If you can't compete in a large classroom, you can't complete in the real world.

How many Asians attend public school? A lot. How many of them end up at Harvard, Stanford, UCLA and other IVY league colleges? a lot. Pretty amazing feat considering a lot of them are now discriminating against Asians.

I guess they rather handpick spoiled rich kids who attended private schools because their parents are willing to "pay" to get their kids in.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Sure there are. I taught for years in a school that was 1:1. Worked PHENOMENALLY for that particular population.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I think pre-k and elementary learn better one on one.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How does a smaller class help you learn better?

More 1 on 1 time with the teacher? You can get that after class if you bother to take the time.

More teacher/student interaction? I find that in classes of 40 to 50 I'm still get a lot of interaction with asking and answering questions from the teacher because most students just stay silent when a teacher asks a question to the class. In fact I've had several that were too small where I was the only one who would respond. It was like a dialogue between me and my philosophy teacher because no one else would ever chime up or say anything, even after I gave almost uncomfortably long periods of time for others to answer.

Closer space? Sit in the front.

I don't get how having a few more people in my classroom detracts from my education. Grant it, I wouldn't want 400 people in a lecture hall, but I think 40-50 people per class in college and 30-40 people per class in HS and middle school would be fine, actually the ideal number for me, unless the class was heavily discussion based, where that might be a few too many.

Plus about 15% of the class isn't even there at any given time.

Having small class sizes is a very expensive goal, and I'm not seeing where the benefits are.
Sounds like you're talking college classes where there is time between classes or you can choose to be late to your next class, NOT an elementary or jr. high school situation. And kids in high school and younger typically have to follow a seating chart - I know I never got to choose where I would sit..."bad kids" were forced to sit up front - not the good kids!

Obviously in college you are responsible for seeking out the help you need and you have many more personal resources than a child. Hell - when I was in college I rarely went to class because I could master all the material on my own! So whether the class was 20 or 200 made no difference, at least not in the required classes out of my major.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I went to a private school while having an undiagnosed learning disability. I benefited immensely from it just because of the small class sizes. We all had regular one-on-one meetings with our teachers and developed close relationships with them. They were available for tutoring any time during our "free" periods too.

My cousins in public school had a very different experience.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Then there would be no "dicussions". It would just be everyone reading google links and such. At least with a discussion the OP will get a couple of different views, with hopefully some research, so that he can make an informed decision or conculsion.

Not everything is solved with google, sometimes collaboration with children..I mean other posters can lead to learning too.
Meh.

The way the OP was written made it clear he did not a lick of research on the topic. Googling is usually a good place to start when one knows nothing about a topic.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think pre-k and elementary learn better one on one.
So do students served by IEPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education