Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Hahaha. You don't really expect this to happen, do you?

Quote:
Michigan pays for lifetime health care for employees who, in some instances, work as few as five years in public schools. That health insurance is considered to be a premier plan with excellent benefits and low co-pays, according to a health care insurance analyst.

From The Detroit News: Michigan's education time bomb: Costly, loophole-ridden retirement system threatens public schools | The Detroit News

From the article, it appears that only at 10 years of service does this benefit become universal, but there must be some exceptions written into the contract that make it possible after only 5 years of service. This article is from 2007. I am not in Michigan and have not followed the story, but presumably they had to make adjustments since then in order to avoid fiscal meltdown.

This is what you get with public sector unions. It is in essence a kickback scheme. The primary function of any union is to negotiate a contract for its members. With a private sector union, negotiations will have the union on one side of the table, and company management on the other. With the public sector unions, the union sits on one side, and the politicos whom the union helped elect sit on the other side.

For those who are pro-union (like me), a voucher system like the one in Nevada could actually make it possible to have unionized schools without the ruinous effects of public sector unionization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So they put their kids in the public school for one year and then take the money and run.... If I were paying for private school and I could get it for free just for sending my kids to a public school for 60% of a year, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Not free.

Private school runs 8K to about 22K per year.

And if you pull your kid it is quite possible you will not get them back in. The system is likely to load up with people who have kids in the public schools and move across. There is little excess capacitiy. And all these schools give priority to the inside students.

It will be the less well off who have to make this interesting and I would think that cannot happen even in a small way until 2016 and not seriously until 2017 or later.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not free.

Private school runs 8K to about 22K per year.

And if you pull your kid it is quite possible you will not get them back in. The system is likely to load up with people who have kids in the public schools and move across. There is little excess capacitiy. And all these schools give priority to the inside students.

It will be the less well off who have to make this interesting and I would think that cannot happen even in a small way until 2016 and not seriously until 2017 or later.

Around here there is no shortage of private schools (usually Catholic or Baptist) charging around $6000/year. I don't think they're that hard to get into either. The more expensive ones I know of take every student whose parents can pay. From what I've heard from others who use them you're more likely to get wait listed for a magnet charter school than a private school. I can think of several charter schools that do a lottery to allow students in and then give a preference to siblings but I can't think of any private schools that do that around here. They all seem to have a shortage of students.

I do know of a couple of private schools that converted to charter schools in order to get state money but Michigan doesn't have vouchers so that's the only way they can get state money.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Around here there is no shortage of private schools (usually Catholic or Baptist) charging around $6000/year. I don't think they're that hard to get into either. The more expensive ones I know of take every student whose parents can pay. From what I've heard from others who use them you're more likely to get wait listed for a magnet charter school than a private school. I can think of several charter schools that do a lottery to allow students in and then give a preference to siblings but I can't think of any private schools that do that around here. They all seem to have a shortage of students.

I do know of a couple of private schools that converted to charter schools in order to get state money but Michigan doesn't have vouchers so that's the only way they can get state money.
We developed late as a city and never had the development of the Catholic schools.

So the private schools are small and therefore have small available capacity. The fundamentalists have a number of schools but all relatively small. There is one Catholic High and One Lutheran High. The Catholic is reasonably large but also pretty well attended. The rest of Nevada is basically Reno and not much else. Most of the Rurals have trouble getting a public school to work.

Oh and in the middle of all this NV is going to deconsolidate the Las Vegas School System. CCSD is going to broken up into smaller pieces. That alone should just about shut the education community done in chaos.

Going to be a couple of interesting years in NV.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
We developed late as a city and never had the development of the Catholic schools.

So the private schools are small and therefore have small available capacity. The fundamentalists have a number of schools but all relatively small. There is one Catholic High and One Lutheran High. The Catholic is reasonably large but also pretty well attended. The rest of Nevada is basically Reno and not much else. Most of the Rurals have trouble getting a public school to work.

Oh and in the middle of all this NV is going to deconsolidate the Las Vegas School System. CCSD is going to broken up into smaller pieces. That alone should just about shut the education community done in chaos.

Going to be a couple of interesting years in NV.
Nevada ranks 48th in education so maybe breaking up the school district is a good thing.
They really can't get much worse then what they are currently.

State's ranking still abysmal in Kids Count report, but Nevada showing improvement - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 06-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nevada ranks 48th in education so maybe breaking up the school district is a good thing.
They really can't get much worse then what they are currently.

State's ranking still abysmal in Kids Count report, but Nevada showing improvement - Las Vegas Sun News
Actually very misleading. Nevada is for practical purposes one school system CCSD. If you compare CCSD to the 10 large school systems it is not bad. For instance better than NY, LA or DC.

I think breaking it up will be very interesting. What the suburbs are looking for is to cut the SE and West sides loose...which will give them quite good schools. What will happen though will be different as the inner cities fights to keep the suburbs from escaping.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Actually very misleading. Nevada is for practical purposes one school system CCSD. If you compare CCSD to the 10 large school systems it is not bad. For instance better than NY, LA or DC.

I think breaking it up will be very interesting. What the suburbs are looking for is to cut the SE and West sides loose...which will give them quite good schools. What will happen though will be different as the inner cities fights to keep the suburbs from escaping.
If that's the case then maybe those inner city schools can qualify for Title 1.
That would be extra money in funding to them.
Title 1 requires a certain percentage of a school be economically disadvantaged.
That extra money equates to extra services which can help those kids improve.

I do tutoring (Math/Reading) at Title 1 schools and my salary is paid for by Title 1 Funds, not local school funds. I work with failing students in small groups to help them catch up.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that's the case then maybe those inner city schools can qualify for Title 1.
That would be extra money in funding to them.
Title 1 requires a certain percentage of a school be economically disadvantaged.
That extra money equates to extra services which can help those kids improve.

I do tutoring (Math/Reading) at Title 1 schools and my salary is paid for by Title 1 Funds, not local school funds. I work with failing students in small groups to help them catch up.
Title 1 funds are all over the place in the inner city Las Vegas schools. However they stink. Many run with all new teachers and substitutes any one good bails to the suburbs.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Title 1 funds are all over the place in the inner city Las Vegas schools. However they stink. Many run with all new teachers and substitutes any one good bails to the suburbs.
That's also true in the schools I work in. Usually newly graduated teachers or teachers that have just moved to the area and are waiting for openings at the better schools. Some of them don't even last the full year.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Taco Bell is raising money for HS's... A bit offensive, since I am ONLY eating at Taco Bell ($2) because I pay $43 / day in Property Taxes (50% goes to 'failed' public schools). Been paying property taxes for over 40 yrs, home schooled my own, and volunteered in Public Schools (no / little tax benefit for my $xxx,xxx 'contribution' to 'failed' public schools)..
BTW... I have chosen NOT to participate in Taco Bell funding program of HS's,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education