Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:46 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times

Advertisements

Because of early admittance and being bumped up later I turned 16 during my freshman year of college. It was fine in elementary school, don't remember it being a problem in middle, some issues started showing up in high school, and during college the crap hit the fan. Never academically, not at all, that was a breeze. But on a social front, it eventually created major problems that wouldn't have happened had I been older and wiser (not smarter, wiser). To this day I really, really wish my parents considered more than just academics when they made educational choices for me. When we were broached about pushing ours up we wouldn't even consider it.

In an 70-90 year lifespan there is no need to accelerate development a year or two.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:15 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I sent my July birthday boy to school on time and I often thought he would have done better had we held him back 14 years ago (he's 19). It all worked out for him since he is currently a college student and doing fine but the public school years were bumpy.
Hindsight, I wish we would have held back our July boy. Academically he was fine, maturity, not so much. He was fine in the early elementary years but about 4th-5th grade, it started to show, moreso because the town we moved to had a pretty high rate of redshirting so he was a year younger than a lot of his classmates, and more than a 1 1/2 years younger than some (December birthdays being held back with a Sept 1st cut off date). He was younger than about 1/2 the class behind him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
This is an older post, but I just saw it. I'm confused why someone with a December birthdate would even consider that anything borderline. That's middle of the year. The kid should go to K and turn 6 in December. Should would be the same age as everyone else. Anything else would be very strange and very young for K in most states. More years of preschool never hurt anyone.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
As someone who started college at 17, I know she will thank you later for waiting.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because of early admittance and being bumped up later I turned 16 during my freshman year of college. It was fine in elementary school, don't remember it being a problem in middle, some issues started showing up in high school, and during college the crap hit the fan. Never academically, not at all, that was a breeze. But on a social front, it eventually created major problems that wouldn't have happened had I been older and wiser (not smarter, wiser). To this day I really, really wish my parents considered more than just academics when they made educational choices for me. When we were broached about pushing ours up we wouldn't even consider it.

In an 70-90 year lifespan there is no need to accelerate development a year or two.
Exactly, this. The younger grades are fine. It was junior high and high school that were the issue for me.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
My one daughter was a December baby. She was sent to school in the September before she was 5. Although she is a successful woman today, she always said going to school was a struggle, she was always that little bit behind and had to work harder. She was a senior in high school and didn't get her driver's license until February, a couple of months before graduating. All her friends drove, but she wasn't old enough. College and beyond weren't an issue, but she always said she wished she was older when she started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education