Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 PM

280 posts, read 350,736 times

Advertisements

This question is for the parents/teachers of kids born after school admission cut off date in GA its Sept 1st
We are having trouble to make a decision whether to send DD to school for preK 2 or preK 1. She is december born kid which means she misses the cuttoff date by 3 months. Our situation is little bit different in a sense that she has been going to church preschool for 2 years at least now. and because of her birthdate she qualifies for Prek1 and not Prek2.
I know for the fact that no public school would accept her due to age restriction. but I may have a chance in private school that means I will be shelling about 5K each year for at least 3 years. until she goes to grade 2 and then cutoff date restriction does not apply anymore. Thoughts? suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
This question is for the parents/teachers of kids born after school admission cut off date in GA its Sept 1st
We are having trouble to make a decision whether to send DD to school for preK 2 or preK 1. She is december born kid which means she misses the cuttoff date by 3 months.
Please give us more information. Is your daughter extremely advanced academically, socially, emotionally and physically and you are concerned that preK 1 may be too easy for her? Or what?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please give us more information. Is your daughter extremely advanced academically, socially, emotionally and physically and you are concerned that preK 1 may be too easy for her? Or what?
Well, Her current teacher says that she is ready for school. She knows all basic stuff like colors, shapes, counting till 20, alphabets(not all), recognizes them, potty trained. Knows spellings of her name.
so we think that Prek1 would be too easy for her.
She is very social, not shy. She is physically taller than kids of her her age.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I'm confused because different states use different terminology. Is your daughter currently 3 years old and misses the cut-off for 4-K (junior kindergarten or preK 2) so she would be in preK-1 now (or 3 year old pre-kindergarten)? Are these public school programs?

Is her current teacher actually a licensed teacher (with a four year college degree)? That is not always the case in preschools or day care centers so sometimes the "teachers" may not have the training and knowledge to give solid educational advice to parents.

Also, sometimes preschool teachers may not be familiar with the current expectations in the public school system. In many areas what used to be the standard curriculum in first grade, five to eight years ago, is now the kindergarten and even junior kindergarten curriculum & expectations.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-04-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Three months too young?? I would just put her in a different preschool so she'll have a different experience. I haven't met a teacher yet that would recommend early entry into school. There's a reason for cut-off dates.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:58 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
I'd wait until she meets the age requirements and if you are worried about the money, find a different preschool. That is not a good enough reason to send a child to school early and knowing your colors and shapes doesn't mean she is advanced. Yes, she may be on track to enter kindergarten when she is old enough, but that's not the same as being advanced.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
It's one more year. Let her play and be confident in what she does. I have two fall kids who were "ready" according to their preschool teachers, but I didn't care. I wasn't worried about kindergarten; I was worried about years down the road. I have yet to see a December kid who went early and didn't have some sort of anxiety. Your child may be bright, mature for her age, engaging, tall...whatever. That can always change. Do you want her to be five in first grade with some kids who just turned seven?

The only person against my decision was my own mother. She finally quieted down when her kindergarten teaching neighbor said "I've never seen it hurt to hold back, but I have seen it hurt to go early plenty of times"

Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Do absolutely nothing. Send her to another year of preschool.Like someone else said, there is a reason for cutoff dates.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
There is no advantage these days to starting your kids early. Super smart young kids are viewed as annoying. Super smart same age kids are just viewed as smart.

Save your money and send her to a nice private school that can differentiate her instruction when she's 5. Work with her on harder stuff after school.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education