Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
There is no sense of entitlement .

Are you the type of person just to pay a bill without checking for errors? I always check. In this case there is no reason for the inflated cost.
Yeah, I check for errors. I also pay for costs legitimately encurred by MY errors. Reasonable overhead and a new book are legit.

Did my first post list ANY illegitimate added costs?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
But poster after poster have stated possible reasons for those extra costs. You have just refused to take them as valid reasons.

1. Processing

2. Late Fees

3. Subsidizing the cost for others, etc.

Have you actually talked to anyone at the school about this? Or are you just going off of what the school sent you?

The school isn't out to get you. If you approach the situation and the possibly lone overworked person working there, with a calm logical demeanor, more than likely they'll accept another book. Go in not understanding their side, and you're likely not going to get anywhere.
She found the book. She just needs to return it now. The library will refund the money of its done in a timely manner. I would email the librarian ASAP.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
It's because you are dealing with little tin bureaucrats! Wasteful, lazy, OVERPAID, gorging on your property taxes yet delivering worthless "educations."
Thanks for the laugh. I appreciate that.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM

206 posts, read 382,614 times
Quote:
This is the replacement cost without added fees. I know this because when we were notified that it was missing a few months ago (and started looking for it) the notice had the same amount as now. I was going to pay it but then we found the book with the price right on it. This is why I am questioning this added $10. If it were a few dollars, then I wouldn't have questioned it.

My daughter lost a book and was irresponsible with her lock. That I will deal with separately regardless of the cost involved. However, this isn't a parenting issue... I am questioning the process of over-charging for a book that has a retail price right on it and according to the web, can be purchased brand new for that same retail price.
This book was so overdue a few months ago that your daughter had topped out on daily overdue fees, and the library very generously waived those in lieu of a flat fee including replacement cost. Would you PREFER that they continue to increase the bill every day?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
This is the replacement cost without added fees. I know this because when we were notified that it was missing a few months ago (and started looking for it) the notice had the same amount as now. I was going to pay it but then we found the book with the price right on it. This is why I am questioning this added $10. If it were a few dollars, then I wouldn't have questioned it.

My daughter lost a book and was irresponsible with her lock. That I will deal with separately regardless of the cost involved. However, this isn't a parenting issue... I am questioning the process of over-charging for a book that has a retail price right on it and according to the web, can be purchased brand new for that same retail price.
1) The school library is not a book store. They can charge whatever they want for missing books. If you don't want to pay it, then don't lose books. Sometimes life just isn't "fair".

2) Of course this is a parenting issue. You stated that YOU are paying the bill. The bill should be paid by your daughter. You are taking over her responsibilities that she is capable of handling, and making excuses as to why. That is a parenting issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
Just return the one you have. It's either deliberate overcharging in order to "punish" people for losing books, or it really does cost that. They buy from whoever the district has a contract with, or whatever service is approved, and it's usually not the cheapest one (and it's not Amazon). Also, libraries usually purchase something called "library bound" books, which are bound in a way that is sturdier than normal. Your average paperback from Amazon will fall apart completely after a few months of school library use. So possibly the library-bound edition, from the approved vendor, costs exactly what they are asking you for. It might not be unethical at all.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:26 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
We pay taxes and yet the teachers are underpaid and overworked.... Then they charge nearly double the cost of a book if lost... where does that money go?

School overhead is not my problem. This is about a lost book. I have the book in my hand. I can return it for no fee at all. However, the book is worn, obviously used (probably worth $1 at the used book store) and yet they want to charge me $16.95 to replace it? That makes absolutely no sense.
What makes you think this? The idea is not you replace the book, the idea is you make them whole as they were when your daughter took the book out. That includes the cost of putting the new book in the system.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:28 PM

813 posts, read 600,628 times
Does it seem odd that the majority of the posts (with the exception of the odd outliers) disagree with you? When a prudent person asks for advice, they consider it, not argue against it.

Good luck, and remind your little darling that books do indeed cost $, Rg

Old 06-30-2015, 03:32 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
I don't have to pay "overhead" as that is their problem not mine. If it were a regular library (not at a school), they have the same overhead (if not more) but I would only be responsible for the cost of the replacement.

How is it okay (and legal) to tack on $10 and hold her transcripts, etc.

It's not about the cost... I can afford to pay that, but the principle of overcharging pisses me off.

Yes, it IS your problem, because YOUR daughter is the one who was careless and lost the book. Library editiions are more expensive, plus there is the cost to process a new book into the system. What you casually dismiss as "a few stickers" represents some time and effort that would not have had to have been expended if your daughter had only kept up with the book she had borrowed.

You're lucky it's only replacement, and not replacement AND overdue fees. That starts to get to be serious money. And it's okay and legal, because it's the only way they have to "encourage" you to fulfill your obligations. It got your attention, didn't it? The other notices they probably have been sending home or giving your daughter probably were ignored. No book, no transcript. Seems easy enough to understand. Give them back what belongs to them, or pay to replace it. Why is that such a difficult concept?

And, oh, by the way -- why are YOU paying it? It's your DAUGHTER who should be paying it -- she's the one whose carelessness was the cause of it all. Daughter needs to be paying that bill, not you, or else repaying you out of her allowance, birthday money, etc. Bet she'll remember to turn in the next book.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Does it seem odd that the majority of the posts (with the exception of the odd outliers) disagree with you? When a prudent person asks for advice, they consider it, not argue against it.

Good luck, and remind your little darling that books do indeed cost $, Rg
I wonder if the OP will remember this thread if his/her child leaves her locker open and someone steals her expensive textbooks. The poop will really hit the fan then, after she gets a bill for 50-200$ depending on the number lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education