Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,629,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I have a vast variety of knowledge in many fields yet I don't have a college degree (though I have dabbled in community college), and it annoys me when people assume I'm uneducated or lack skills.
In what setting?

In your career or just a general lack of acknowledgement of your "knowledge"?

Anyway, he reality is most PhDs don't have a variety of knowledge in many fields but are experts in very narrow fields. It is highly unlikely you have that level of knowledge without any formal education. For example there are some skills and knowledge you cannot learn in science just from a book or the Internet. One of the thing that a formal education teaches you is just how much you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
I have a vast variety of knowledge in many fields yet I don't have a college degree (though I have dabbled in community college), and it annoys me when people assume I'm uneducated or lack skills.

I have no degree but I'm all kinds of smartified.

Seriously though, I never assume anything anymore. I've known people with no degrees that are sharp people. I've known people with degrees that seriously make me wonder if they made the degree on a computer.
Normally people that have higher learning are considered smart. Most are. Some aren't.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,750,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have no degree but I'm all kinds of smartified.

Seriously though, I never assume anything anymore. I've known people with no degrees that are sharp people. I've known people with degrees that seriously make me wonder if they made the degree on a computer.
Normally people that have higher learning are considered smart. Most are. Some aren't.
I remember when I sold cars in my late teens and early 20's, one of my favorite tactics with difficult or condescending customers was to let slip that I was a 19-year old high school dropout (which is somewhat a misnomer - I "dropped out," and then got my high school diploma when I was 16. I'd started going to the Art Institute of Boston when I was 14, and took my English classes at Harvard Extension instead of the high school). They'd let their guard down, assume that I was a simpleton, talk down to me, and I'd just let them write themselves a bad deal and collect my commission at the end... I once sold a car to a young woman who was an aircraft engineer at Northrop-Grumman around the corner, and I had to show her how to calculate the payments of a 5-year finance contract at a 2.9% APR. It took about six or seven goes before she "got it," and yet she still treated me like I was an infant who was about to walk into a wall...

I also once overheard a guy telling his teenage son, "see? This is why you need to go to college. This guy we're buying the car from is getting beaten up and losing his pants over this deal and he can't do anything to stop it because he doesn't know what he's doing." Based on his credit report, I made considerably more than he did, his "invoice price" was incorrect and only a couple hundred below MSRP so I made close to two grand off him for two hours of work.

The flip side, of course, was that I had well-educated people asking me why I didn't go back to university and pursue a degree in finance, business, law, etc. Maybe if I would have, I would be making more money than I am now; maybe I would have just lost interest and left school with a debt, and no degree. Who knows?

As I said before, everyone has their own lifepath. A degree makes sense for some people, and less for others. It's a necessity for some people, and a waste of time and money for others. There's no one-size fits all for any of these life matters.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 AM

37,730 posts, read 40,772,892 times
I think "educated" implies formal schooling. It doesn't mean smart or intelligent. Look at all of the professors who can't apply their knowledge.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think "educated" implies formal schooling. It doesn't mean smart or intelligent. Look at all of the professors who can't apply their knowledge.
Or explain what they "know" in terms that anyone can understand.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I believe this to be confirmation bias. Essentially finding information that backs up your belief while ignoring information that contradicts what you already believe.
Yea its been a long time since my stats/psych classes but I wasnt thinking of confirmation bias. I cant remember the name but its basically "Seeing one piece of data and assuming the rest of the population is the same." Where as confirmation bias is where you go searching for data in order to confirm your beliefs.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM

659 posts, read 309,890 times
"We see what we expect to see and do not notice what we do not expect to see. We definitely have observation bias."

"I believe this to be confirmation bias. Essentially finding information that backs up your belief while ignoring information that contradicts what you already believe."

There is a little bit of difference between "observation bias" and "confirmation bias." What our eyes may allow us to see or not as we focus our vision is largely a matter of how our eyes work to provide us the best vision possible.

Any optometrists in the house? (Optometrists must complete a Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) degree program and obtain a license to practice in a particular state. Doctor of Optometry programs take 4 years to complete, and most students have a bachelor’s degree before entering an O.D. program. The median annual wage for optometrists was $97,820 in May 2012.)

Confirmation bias, on the other hand, has to do with our way of thinking. After we have established our long and strongly held beliefs (about politics, religion, etc.), we tend to dismiss facts and opinions not aligned with our beliefs and/or we tend to seek out facts and opinions that are aligned with our beliefs. This is called confirmation bias and something that anyone serious about critical thinking tries hard to avoid.

One need not look too far or wide in this crazy world of ours to see the work of confirmation bias all around us. We are all guilty and victims of this significant problem at the same time...

Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
Quote:
Consider it their loss...not yours.
Degrees mean ####all.. lots of times...

Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,266,145 times
Quote:
Quote:
As someone who probably doesn't even make $10K a year, I consider a million dollars a fortune. Hell, even $100,000 is a fortune to me. If I had that kind of bank, I could do amazing things with it.
Hello?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM

17,383 posts, read 11,888,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In addition, Steve Jobs died b/c he thought he knew more than his doctors. I'd call it pretty ignorant to not listen to someone who knows more than you about something.
No, actually, Jobs died because he had cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education