Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Except this isn't some odd anomaly. Hell my uncle has a successful business and not a single piece of paper, pretty sure he's a millionaire or if not very close to it.
It IS an anomaly. You are only noticing the few who did it and failing to notice the millions who didnt. Observation bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Wow, really? If you have a $1/2 million house and you owe $1/2 million that's a zero-dollar asset. Also, there's a difference between net worth and liquid assets.
If the guy owns a business with a lot of assets, and a home, that goes on the positive side of the ledger. His liabilities, yes, on the negative side. "Millionaire" is not what it used to be.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
It depends on what you mean by educated. People in college are more INTELLIGENT but they might not be FIT or able to CONVERSE with people outside there fields of studies. Yes many stupid people are making over $60-$100 dollars and they hide behind there education.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
It IS an anomaly. You are only noticing the few who did it and failing to notice the millions who didnt. Observation bias.
We all suffer from it. It's human nature to see what you're looking for and disregard what you're not looking for. The series Brain Games has done some interesting shows on this. I recall one where you were asked to watch basketball players and count the times the blue ball was passed. When the segment was done they asked if you noticed the clown, the jugglers and the elephant (might be different things as but the point is the same). Then they show the clip again and there they are. I completely missed them because I was watching that blue ball.

We see what we expect to see and do not notice what we do not expect to see. We definitely have observation bias.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We all suffer from it. It's human nature to see what you're looking for and disregard what you're not looking for. The series Brain Games has done some interesting shows on this. I recall one where you were asked to watch basketball players and count the times the blue ball was passed. When the segment was done they asked if you noticed the clown, the jugglers and the elephant (might be different things as but the point is the same). Then they show the clip again and there they are. I completely missed them because I was watching that blue ball.

We see what we expect to see and do not notice what we do not expect to see. We definitely have observation bias.
I believe this to be confirmation bias. Essentially finding information that backs up your belief while ignoring information that contradicts what you already believe.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It is not hard to be a millionaire today. With houses costing $1/2 mil or more, there's a good chunk of it right there.
I think a million dollars IS a lot of money even today. People who say it's not either live in a region where money is grossly inflated (Bay Area, I'm looking at you) or they are just so well-off they are out of touch with the norm.

As someone who probably doesn't even make $10K a year, I consider a million dollars a fortune. Hell, even $100,000 is a fortune to me. If I had that kind of bank, I could do amazing things with it.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I have a vast variety of knowledge in many fields yet I don't have a college degree (though I have dabbled in community college), and it annoys me when people assume I'm uneducated or lack skills.
They mean that you are not formally educated.

Just cause I read Dr. Seuss, doesn't make me educated. It's really not a big deal. There are some brilliant and successful people who never finished college.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 11,881 times
I think that's changing, at least a little bit. There was this notion that a college diploma is the new version of "did you graduate high school?" I don't that applies as much, especially in certain industries--tech for sure. It's more about whether you can do the job or not. That's not to say that formal education isn't necessary for many fields--it is--but it's less of a requirement to get a legit job now. If people want to look down their educated nose, then so be it. That's just one path to fulfillment, happiness and all that good stuff.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I dont have time to care about what people think of my education or intelligence all the same that I don't have time to finish a degree.

Everyone has their own lifepath, and some people want to go into careers which require a degree - medicine, engineering, etc. Not everyone wants to, or can be, an engineer or doctor or lawyer. Not only that, but not every degree leads to a career, as most of my friends who are on their second or third social justice degrees could tell you.

I'm doing great. I've had plenty of people look down on me or warn me that I doomed myself to a life of mediocrity for not racking up a hundred-thousand-plus in debt and instead just working my way up the ladder, but that was after lots of careful consideration and pragmatism about what I considered to be my best options. I later found myself managing lots of people with degrees and fielding employment requests from some of the same friends who had earlier warned me I had sold my future short, hearing them lament the $600/mo dead weight of debt they'd taken on that hadn't actually helped them get any closer to their dream. Of course, I also have friends who are now doctors, lawyers, work in business and finance and all make great livings that they wouldn't have if they hadn't gone to university, but even most of them have discovered that gone are the days where a degree was an almost-automatic guarantee for stability. Was it ever?

I've also discovered that the older you get, the less you'll encounter people who harbor an automatic disdain for people who don't, or do, have a degree. Over time, most people encounter enough other people that whatever sweeping platitudes they have about others start to wane. People who work in any field and hold any level of education will encounter people of similar achievement who don't embody whatever virtues they apply to them, and people of "lesser" stature who do.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
The biggest mistake people can make is to be prejudiced either way, to "profile." Whether we think people with degrees act or do one way or another, or that people without degrees act or do a certain way, careful to suggest either group "all acts or does the same." I agree with some of the comments that work to make this point. I like to say, "don't let school get in the way of your education," but I also understand how and why education is so very important in so very many cases. Clearly the statistics show, for example, there is a very strong correlation between education and income; the higher the education, so too the income on average. There are, however, always exceptions to the rule! In short, we might want to consider what importance it is to have a smart doctor vs an educated doctor vs a degreed doctor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education