Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times

Advertisements

Usually the parent can write a note or something in order to make it an "excused" absence/tardy. I mean, there is no punishment for getting sick and missing school or having to go to a doctor's appt during school hours. It's only when they just show up late for no apparent reason that it's unexcused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
The student does have a choice as said. If their parent or friend is consistently late then their choice is to ride the bus or if in walking distance, walk
Blaming others for being late isn't the way to grow up. If you were consistently late for your job and said the reason was your spouse had to drop you off and always sleep late, would your boss understand?

Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,114,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Buses around here run late all the time, and it's rarely for a "good reason." If the weather is terrible and mom is running late because of it, her kid gets punished. If the weather is terrible and the bus is running late, every kid on that bus gets a pass.

There is no logic to it.
I've lived a lot of places and I have never lived anywhere that school buses ran late "all the time". I think you are just trying to find excuses for not being on time.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
This has bothered me since my oldest was in high school, and now my youngest is in high school too.

In high school, students who get a ride from their parents to school get a warning and then eventual detention if they are late to school. Students who ride the school bus NEVER get a warning or detention for being late, because they ride the bus. So students who are dependent on a ride to get to school get punished for someone else's behavior, but students who are dependent on a bus ride to school do not get punished, no matter how late the bus is.

How is this fair???

I do not understand the logic. If it is intended to punish students who drive themselves to school and discourage them from being late, fine, but then it should be limited to students who actually drive themselves to school- not kids who catch a ride from their parents or friends. Just as the bus riders have no control over when the bus arrives and drops them off, a kid has no control over whether or not mom or Johnny get out of the house on time. It is not their responsibility.

I don't know if this is a standard policy in other schools, but I believe it is standard policy in Illinois high schools. Can someone explain the logic to me?
This reminds me of one of my favorite clueless parent stories. It comes from a friend of mine who teaches middle school math. My friend would frequently complain to fellow teachers about a student who came late every day. First hour math class was 50 minutes long and the student normally arrived 30 to 40 minutes late to class and would miss class completely about once every two weeks. The teacher would attempt to get the student caught up but that was basically impossible to do while continuing to teach the lesson to the rest of the class.

When the student failed the first math test Mom was furious-------at the teacher!

Clueless Mom demanded that the teacher "reteach" each days lesson for her daughter after school every night. The teacher countered with the suggestion that her daughter arrive at school on time for first hour math class to learn the material with her classmates. Mom said, "That is crazy! Who could possibly get up early enough to get to school by 7:45 AM?" Well, Clueless Mom, the other 600 students in the middle school get there on time.

BTW The girl continued to come 30 to 40 minutes late to the 50 minute class the rest of the semester. Mom continued to demand that the teacher "reteach" the information that her daughter missed each day after the regular school day. Thankfully, the principal supported the teacher and also told the parent to start getting her child to school on time

The girl squeaked by with a D- for the semester. Mom was very mad at the math teacher and the school and now "home schools" her daughter.

OP, instead of being mad at the school because all of the other 900 or 1,500 or 2,000 students arrive on time (or get on the school bus on time) and are not marked tardy, perhaps you should leave home five minutes earlier so that your child is on time, too.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
The student also has no control over when mom leaves the house if she's running late, or when his friend finally gets there - s/he can't "leave earlier" if s/he's not in charge.
Your family doesn't get a pass.
A bus run by the school gave the student and family no choice but to be late.
Mommy can't do it doesn't count as circumstances outside student control.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Couple of interesting things to add. First, don't assume that students have choices. For example, our school district has no buses. Every student is supposed to get their on their own (walk, parent, whatever). Why no buses? Well the district decided that almost all students lived within walking distance of the schools. Yep, maybe in 1959 when the school locations were chosen. Which has no relation to where students actually live in 2015. Just to make things more interesting, there are no sidewalks or bike lanes outside the immediate area around the schools. The only place for the kids to walk is IN THE STREET until they get to the school area. So the result is parents have to drive and pick up every day.

As for forgiveness, well you have to remember what attendance is about -- butts in seats. The schools get Federal dollars based on attendance days. If they are on the bus, they are counted as present so the school gets credit for their butt in seat. But if they are in your car, they get no money for that. And you know of course that the school's standard reaction to any parent who doesn't fall into line is to punish the child.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
If a parent driving their kids to school, are bringing them there late, it shows the irresponsibility of the parent. It is their fault the kids get detention and punished, not the students.

It is time the parent shapes up, does their job as they should and takes the responsibility of getting their children to school on time. I know we did, and with 5 children with the fifth an OOPS baby it was over quite a period of time. Be a responsible parent, and get your children to school on time. If it is bad weather leave early enough to solve the problem.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
The student also has no control over when mom leaves the house if she's running late, or when his friend finally gets there - s/he can't "leave earlier" if s/he's not in charge.
Then take the bus and quit using mom/friend as an excuse.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
This has bothered me since my oldest was in high school, and now my youngest is in high school too.

In high school, students who get a ride from their parents to school get a warning and then eventual detention if they are late to school. Students who ride the school bus NEVER get a warning or detention for being late, because they ride the bus. So students who are dependent on a ride to get to school get punished for someone else's behavior, but students who are dependent on a bus ride to school do not get punished, no matter how late the bus is.

How is this fair???

I do not understand the logic. If it is intended to punish students who drive themselves to school and discourage them from being late, fine, but then it should be limited to students who actually drive themselves to school- not kids who catch a ride from their parents or friends. Just as the bus riders have no control over when the bus arrives and drops them off, a kid has no control over whether or not mom or Johnny get out of the house on time. It is not their responsibility.

I don't know if this is a standard policy in other schools, but I believe it is standard policy in Illinois high schools. Can someone explain the logic to me?
Let's please try to answer the OP's question ^^ without insulting her. Rude posts will be deleted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:

How is this fair???

The logic is glaringly simple:

Don't be late.

You'll never have a problem when you're where you're supposed to be a couple of minutes early.

You'll always have a problem when you're late.

Set the example for your kids.

It's a tough unforgiving world we live in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education