Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Our school district doesn't teach a class called Algebra 2 anymore. There's Math 1, Math 2, Math 3, and then pre-calc. The Math 1-3 sequence is a more integrated series of algebra and geometry, rather than having it (geometry) separated out into one year's worth of class.

About 45% take Math 1 in 8th grade and 45% in 9th grade. The rest are the outliers, taking it 1-2 years earlier or later than the majority.
They started doing the general math classes in my high school in the late 90s. It has continued since then.

Regular track kids took Integrated Math I, II, III, and IV was optional (only needed 3 math credits then.)
Advance track kids took Geometry, Algebra II, Trignometry, and Pre-Calc. (Pre-Algebra in 7th, Algebra I in 8th)
Honors kids took Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calc, AP Calc. (Pre-Algebra in 6th, Algebra I in 7th, Geometry in 8th)

Before the "Integrated Math", it was the traditional Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and rarely did anyone take a fourth year, but it was Trig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeefun View Post
I want to be a student-teacher for an Algebra 2 class. However, on the application, I have to check a box next to the grade that I want to student-teach for. I know that Algebra 2 is typically taken in 9th or 10th grade, but I'm only allowed to select one grade. Which grade should I choose?
It is neither. The more appropriate questions (1) where does Algebra 2 sit in your school's college prep sequencing? (2) whether you want to teach 9th graders or 10th graders? and (3) what experience you seek?

(1) If your school tops out at Calc BC, and that population is substantial enough, then Algebra 2 will be taken by a good number of freshman.

(2) Teaching Algebra 2 to freshman on schedule to take Calc BC their senior year than teaching Algebra 2 in a school that tops out with Pre-Calc, in which case it would be a sophomore year class. On average, the former will be more compliant, quick, and self-disciplined than the latter.

(3) Are you looking for an easy experience to work on techniques that will be gobbled up by more gifted kids or are you looking to repair students from years of a weak curriculum, to give hope to students who are behind the frontier without knowing it; to unlock the depths of Algebra 2 to students who might not have ever had a teacher who challenged them? I think no student teacher is complete without a full range of teaching experiences.

Good luck!

S.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:27 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Wheen I went to school, the 160's, it was:

9th Algebra I
10th Geometry
11th Algebra II
12th Trigonometry

For science it was:

9th General
10th Biology
11th Chemistry
12th Physics
For me (1989-1993), NYS Regents track, it was

Course I - Algebra
Course II - Geometry
Course III - Trig

Biology
Chemistry
Physics

We didn't have to take a 4th year of math or science. In the Regents track, you could actually get away with just taking 2 years of either one, unless you were using the subject for one of two (required) 3-year "sequences," as English, Social Studies, and Foreign Language could not be used for sequences, because you HAD to take 4 years of English and SS, and the language you usually started in 8th grade, so most people took the language Regent Junior year, and then they were done with that.

I didn't get my Regents diploma because I bombed both math and science, so I couldn't use either one for a sequence (music was the one sequence I did complete). I barely squeaked through with the 2 years of each (Biology & Earth Science, and Course I & II). I also failed Regents Economics because the class was just too fast-paced for me (it was a half-year course, paired with Participation in Goverment), so I retook it at the non-Regents level. I just got the regular high school diploma without the Regents endorsement.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
My boys both had Algebra II in 9th grade (advanced track). My daughter will take it in 10th (standard track here).

Quote:
So I'm in 9th grade is it good im taking alegrba II already?
As long as you're ready for it and can do well in it, sure it's good. Spelling "algebra" correctly and using punctuation will help you go a long way in ELA

Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
In our high school...

Son's honors/AP math track sequence:

9th - Honors Geometry
10th - Honors Algebra 2 w/Trig
11th - Honors Pre-Calc
12th - AP Calc AB

Daughter's accelerated/AP math track sequence:

9th - Accelerated Algebra 2 w/Trig
10th - Accelerated Pre-Calc
11th - AP Calc BC
12th- Multivariable Calculus

Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
In our high school...

Son's honors/AP math track sequence:

9th - Honors Geometry
10th - Honors Algebra 2 w/Trig
11th - Honors Pre-Calc
12th - AP Calc AB

Daughter's accelerated/AP math track sequence:

9th - Accelerated Algebra 2 w/Trig
10th - Accelerated Pre-Calc
11th - AP Calc BC
12th- Multivariable Calculus
Take linear algebra before MVC!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
In my old high school, and I wasnt good at math, I did:
9 pre algebra
10 Algebra 1 ( failed)
11 algebra 1
12 we weren't required to take math and I gladly took that opportunity.

Normal smart people did calculus, geometry, etc. I don't know what order.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Take linear algebra before MVC!
Good catch! Actually the course name is "Advanced Math Topics" and the description says it includes Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, and an independent project. We haven't gotten to this course yet.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ah, thank you. The "regular sequence" is what I'm familiar with. It's great that some kids really love math, though, and can jump ahead! Why don't those kids ever factor into those international academic rankings?
Ruth, I read a study once that our top HS math students are every bit as competitive internationally as students from other countries. However, it is our lower academic levels that bring down our overall rankings.

My daughter spent a few days last June attending high school classes in Germany and she was surprised (and reassured) to find out that her U.S. math curriculum was one year ahead of the German school math curriculum. And this was a college-prep/advanced track German school... Her German hosts were actually math teachers and they were also surprised at how advanced her HS math was.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:46 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Ruth, I read a study once that our top HS math students are every bit as competitive internationally as students from other countries. However, it is our lower academic levels that bring down our overall rankings.

My daughter spent a few days last June attending high school classes in Germany and she was surprised (and reassured) to find out that her U.S. math curriculum was one year ahead of the German school math curriculum. And this was a college-prep/advanced track German school... Her German hosts were actually math teachers and they were also surprised at how advanced her HS math was.
Shhhh, you're going to make heads explode telling the truth. Don't you know you're not allowed to point out that other countries assemble their statistics using different metrics than the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education