Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, OP here. Just wanted to say a quick "THANK YOU" for all of your responses. Really getting some quality feedback/comments here.

Just wanted to give a quick example of education being "fun" to her: she has to read 20 minutes every night. As I've said upthread, she always enjoyed reading from when she first learned how, but lately when it is in the form of a mandated, daily homework assignment, it's a chore. However, she is now reading to her younger sister. Her words: 'I would like to read to my sister and help her appreciate reading and learn how to read'. When she does this, she reads beyond the assigned twenty minutes. In fact, she was reading to her little sister all the way up until it was time for bed.

Tabula's comment about kids and teaching styles is also spot on. She really is one of those kids who learns by actually doing something or connecting with something. As far as math is concerned, she enjoyed math when it was more interactive vs. now where she is sitting and having to listen for extended periods. She's programmed herself to think that math is a tedious, boring subject and our aim to undo all of that.

BTW, Ruth4Truth, you wouldn't believe what's on a third grade state assessment exam these days. (Definitely harder then the tests given in our generation). The things covered on her end-of-year exam (in addition to the basics we remember):

Geometry (congruence, perimeter)
Number line work and graphs
Metric work

I really don't remember doing geometry in the third grade.

Everdeen, the games idea is great too.

REally, I appreciate all of the responses y'all are giving me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was that kid in middle and high school. I didn't need to do homework because I knew I could skate by with getting 80's/90's on tests and I would regularly get them. Even in college in many courses I would actually land great grades on tests that the average would be an entire letter grade below mine. I wasn't challenged in many courses so it hurt me early on in college because the end game wasn't drilled into me. I was first generation college and the first in my immediate family to earn a BA and only one of three/four grandchildren on both sides with a BA (at least three (including myself) have an associates.)

Yep, I was that kid. HATED reading comprehension due to my delayed speech. I HATED English because I sucked at spelling due to my speech issues. However, put a state test in front of me where I needed to brain dump on book themes or questions based on a passage (written or hear orally) and BOOM, B's if not A's on the test. Students like your daughter and myself are students that teachers hate, we maybe engaged but slack-off or can't be bothered to be engaged but still get ideas and concepts.
Haha, I was kind of that student too. I did exasperate my teachers at several periods of my life. If I pretty much mastered a subject or knew it very well, I put the gears on neutral in class. I remember blowing off an end of year project in American History. I took the state exam and got a 95, though. The teacher failed me despite this to send a message. I did the project and received a better grade. I am glad that I had tough teachers who expected more from me.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey guys, OP here. Just wanted to say a quick "THANK YOU" for all of your responses. Really getting some quality feedback/comments here.

Just wanted to give a quick example of education being "fun" to her: she has to read 20 minutes every night. As I've said upthread, she always enjoyed reading from when she first learned how, but lately when it is in the form of a mandated, daily homework assignment, it's a chore. However, she is now reading to her younger sister. Her words: 'I would like to read to my sister and help her appreciate reading and learn how to read'. When she does this, she reads beyond the assigned twenty minutes. In fact, she was reading to her little sister all the way up until it was time for bed.
Yeah, there's no reason why the assignment can't be embedded in a preferred activity.

Quote:
Tabula's comment about kids and teaching styles is also spot on. She really is one of those kids who learns by actually doing something or connecting with something. As far as math is concerned, she enjoyed math when it was more interactive vs. now where she is sitting and having to listen for extended periods. She's programmed herself to think that math is a tedious, boring subject and our aim to undo all of that.

BTW, Ruth4Truth, you wouldn't believe what's on a third grade state assessment exam these days. (Definitely harder then the tests given in our generation). The things covered on her end-of-year exam (in addition to the basics we remember):

Geometry (congruence, perimeter)
Number line work and graphs
Metric work

I really don't remember doing geometry in the third grade.
Functional math activities that are hands on at home may help her to adjust her attitude about math and build positive associations (as well as possibly helping spur a light bulb coming on when she then is presented with a concept in class that rings a bell because she's used that concept doing something fun at home.

Geometry? Metrics? Have her help build or make something at home that requires her to measure perimeter etc. Do a project where she'll have to deal with shapes. Functional activities like cooking/baking/building models/putting something together can introduce all kinds of math concepts. Graphing could be something as simple as having her help put together the grocery list, and categorize what food groups/types of food you need for certain meals, and show it on a simple graph...ike, how many pieces of fruit do you need to buy if you're having x, y, z for breakfast how many days, etc. she could put stickers on a chart showing how many pieces of fruit she ATE this week and on what days (or whatever), and, voila, she's graphing. Just get creative and make it fun. Introducing the concepts in a way that maintains interest is great, and having them be embedded in just day-to-day stuff is better, because it shows her WHY it's useful to learn how to ______.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 AM

7 posts, read 3,802 times
Many kids go through this phase after starting school. As they start moving towards higher grades, they start feeling the pressure of education on their shoulder and they start missing the joy of learning. You should start to make learning fun for her by using various learning tools.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:00 AM

386 posts, read 327,102 times
memorizing worthless crap is not an education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education