Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Nothing whatsoever was said about "the majority pressuring the minority to embrace a particular viewpoint or lifestyle."

Where are you getting that?

I was responding to the following: "Why go to college at all if you only want to be exposed to viewpoints that match your own?" Go back and read the post I was replying to, for context.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees the irony in asking that question. The religious minority that refused to read the book are presumed to be the ones who are afraid of encountering an opposing viewpoint at college. Irony.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I assume the thread was titled as it was because the media feature that is linked contains apparently potentially inaccurate reporting.
OK, so the article in the OP's link has it wrong. It sounded weird to me so I looked it up elsewhere.

The thread title is still wrong. The book was "suggested", not "assigned". A lot of people are up in arms saying everyone should get an F or drop the course, when there is in fact no course to drop or get an "F" in.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK, so the article in the OP's link has it wrong. It sounded weird to me so I looked it up elsewhere.

The thread title is still wrong. The book was "suggested", not "assigned". A lot of people are up in arms saying everyone should get an F or drop the course, when there is in fact no course to drop or get an "F" in.
Yes, as quite a few of us have been pointing out, along the course of the thread.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
As a christian, I can understand being repulsed by certain material and a graphic novel (comic book) is a much less intellectual approach to delivering a topic than a text book or discussion. It will surely have a much more emotional effect on the students than intellectual impact.

The medium aside, the purpose of education is to expose yourself to new concepts, ideals and methods. It is easier in a non-evangelical environment to remain pure to motive by eliminating exposure to opposing concepts. If God wanted us to follow his teachings without deviation the world would have been setup without those opposing beliefs. God commanded his people to set themselves apart from the world and to follow his law. He did not say to blind ourselves or remove our ears, only to keep his word in our heart.

In an evangelical world, a Christian must understand their adversary and their audience. To go out to preach to a group with no concept of their state of mind or moral foundation is a recipe for failure. So I say to Christians who decry knowledge because it conflicts with their morality, shame on you for failing to preparing yourself for God's work.

As a practical approach, students should learn anything and everything presented to them whether they agree with it or not. Use your brain to reason out what is being fed to you and accept or reject as your logic dictates. If the professor cannot make a compelling argument against your existing knowledge, then the professor failed. If you fail to discern the truth of an argument it is your failing. An person must have as much knowledge as possible to spot lies and deception. Someone with only one side of an argument will necessarily make poor decisions.

I may disagree with the teaching approach, but I support the call to learn from it wholeheartedly. I would say to censor material if it was inappropriate to the learning capability of the student. No sexually explicit comics for 6 year olds, for example, but for someone of college age I have no reservations.

If the material is objectionable enough the professor will find they have done a disservice to their cause by using it to sway opinion in that direction if that was their intent. Emotional response is as powerful a denial device as it is a motivational tool.

If they refuse to read the book and learn the material, then fail them on the tests.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, as quite a few of us have been pointing out, along the course of the thread.
It can't be said often enough in my opinion, and I'm glad so many of you are with me on this.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You said you know the difference between teaching and indoctrination, but you have yet to explain the difference.
What??? You don't KNOW the difference?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
You said you have a firm grip on the difference between indoctrination and teaching...
And I stand by that statement.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What??? You don't KNOW the difference?
I do know the difference, but it appears that you do not.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
For those saying this is "indoctrination," I have to wonder why you think an 18 year old adult would be so easily swayed by a single book.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For those saying this is "indoctrination," I have to wonder why you think an 18 year old adult would be so easily swayed by a single book.
I used the word "indoctrination." However, I challenge you to find a post where I say anything about reading any book being indoctrination. I'm amazed at the inability of folks to comprehend what they read - it's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education