Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That depends on the book. Rabbit Run was one of the required readings for an English class I dropped because of the content of the book (quite erotic). Our first assignment was to write something from real life similar to the book. Dh said I should just copy a letter from penthouse and turn it in. The prof was a jerk anyway. On the first day of class he asked the women to raise their right hand if they had kids and their left if they were full time students and then said to those of us holding up two hands "Congratulations, you just crucified yourself.".

I switched into a class that read The Grapes of Wrath instead. I never did finish reading Rabbit Run and never will. That kind of writing makes my stomach churn.
A by far better reason to not read Rabbit Run is because Updike is boring and it's a terrible book. The "erotic" content of the book was anything but, to me. Just an opinion.

At any rate, if you don't like the content, and can afford to do so (i.e. it's not a requirement), drop the class. Or, you know, boycott the assignment and suck it up and take the docked grade. Do th e work assigned, don't take the class, or grow up and do the work. Those are basically your options as a college student.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
What do you think Duke should to in this instance? Simply give Fs to those who did not participate?
Of course. If you don't do the assignment, you receive an F for the same.

These kids are acting childish. If they disagree with anything about the reading, they can voice/write the same when they discuss/write about the book.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I object to the conventional wisdom afoot nowadays that a book, movie, etc. is considered artistically worthy of awards and plaudits for no other reason than that it is "about important issues" (read "politically fashionable issues"), irrespective of the merit of the work of art. I'm not familiar with this particular book, but I strongly suspect that it would not even have been published, much less awarded prizes, if it were not about homosexuality.

I would object, if I were a student, to having literature shoved down my throat not because it is good, but because it is about currently fashionable politically correct topics. I'm quite honestly, getting sick of it myself.
I agree with these sentiments. Nonetheless, if the prof assigns the book for reading, the students are required to do so.

I wonder if the students knew when they registered for this class what the reading assignments were going to be?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I object to the conventional wisdom afoot nowadays that a book, movie, etc. is considered artistically worthy of awards and plaudits for no other reason than that it is "about important issues" (read "politically fashionable issues"), irrespective of the merit of the work of art. I'm not familiar with this particular book, but I strongly suspect that it would not even have been published, much less awarded prizes, if it were not about homosexuality.

I would object, if I were a student, to having literature shoved down my throat not because it is good, but because it is about currently fashionable politically correct topics. I'm quite honestly, getting sick of it myself.
You're not the only one against higher education. But what I don't understand is why people enroll in something they are in disagreement with.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM

The article is actually very unclear about whether the book was an assignment, or simply suggested on a "summer reading list." Neither my undergraduate nor my graduate institutions institutes "assigned summer reading," unless you are enrolled in a summer class. "Summer reading lists" were not a part of my college experience. So I don't know how Duke operates. Is the book optional? Don't read it if you don't feel like it, if that's the case. Is it an actual assignment? Read it or don't. You always have that option. Don't do the assignment, and there are consequences. That's just life. Any student who feels strongly enough to take a hard line on whether or not they choose to follow the curriculum is certainly strong enough to take the "F," no? In what classes, exactly, are students routinely given a say in the selection of curriculum?

If a nonsectarian education offends your religious sensibilities, you're certainly not required to enroll there. Duke is no longer affiliated with any particular church other than historically. A plethora of actively religious schools exist. Anyone who highly prizes an education that conforms to their religious beliefs could easily choose a school other than Duke.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
But what I don't understand is why people enroll in something they are in disagreement with.
Exactly.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That depends on the book. Rabbit Run was one of the required readings for an English class I dropped because of the content of the book (quite erotic). Our first assignment was to write something from real life similar to the book. Dh said I should just copy a letter from penthouse and turn it in. The prof was a jerk anyway. On the first day of class he asked the women to raise their right hand if they had kids and their left if they were full time students and then said to those of us holding up two hands "Congratulations, you just crucified yourself.".

I switched into a class that read The Grapes of Wrath instead. I never did finish reading Rabbit Run and never will. That kind of writing makes my stomach churn.
Rabbit, Run is about a man-child with an alcoholic wife, who destroys his family and abandons all responsibility. There was very little in it that would be considered "erotic."

Lolita, on the other hand, is a beautifully written trash book that is basically a primer for pedophiles on how to groom young girls. Assigned all the time. I read it and was truly nauseated. But I still read it.

See, differing opinions are ok!

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 08-24-2015 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: I kept spelling differing wrong.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
What are your thoughts? Religious arguments aside, I thought a key purpose of attending university, especially one with the prestige of Duke, was to open your mind to new perspectives.

What do you think Duke should to in this instance? Simply give Fs to those who did not participate?

Duke University students refuse to read award-winning novel, calling it anti-Christian | WGN-TV
Who get's a summer reading list in college?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Rabbit, Run is about a man-child with an alcoholic wife, who destroys his family and abandons all responsibility. There was very little in it that would be considered "erotic."
This is my recollection, as well, when it was assigned reading in my "American Novel" course (at a church-affiliated undergraduate institution, FWIW).

Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who get's a summer reading list in college?
Apparently the students at Duke My daughter had one at UW-Madison, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education