Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who get's a summer reading list in college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Apparently the students at Duke My daughter had one at UW-Madison, too...
So does UC Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard and many other schools. Generally schools that target those who are interested in education.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If the photos are in the book, they can skip over those. Also, in life, we are bombarded with stuff we deem offensive.

I'm quite offended by all the racists on C-D. I still hang around and post.

I'm okay that the students don't want to read the book. That's their choice. In life, our choices have consequences. I'm sure they'll gladly take the "F." I would if I felt that strongly about it.
Do you know what a graphic novel is? The pictures are integral to the text.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I agree with these sentiments. Nonetheless, if the prof assigns the book for reading, the students are required to do so.

I wonder if the students knew when they registered for this class what the reading assignments were going to be?
If they don't know when they registered, they would have found out the first day of class when they got the syllabus. A lot of professors even put the syllabus online well before classes even start. So more then likely they had time to research the required reading and decide whether they wanted to take the class. Usually you can easily switch classes the first week or two of the semester.

That is if Fun Home is actually required reading and not just a suggested book to read on the summer reading list.

If the students are so concerned about compromising their "personal Christian moral beliefs" then they should have gone to a Christian college. I doubt there is a shortage of Christian colleges in the South.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You're not the only one against higher education. But what I don't understand is why people enroll in something they are in disagreement with.
To learn something. Perhaps enrolling in courses where you disagree might give you stronger arguments for your own views.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
To learn something. Perhaps enrolling in courses where you disagree might give you stronger arguments for your own views.
You missed TexasLawyer2000's point. They disagree with learning and higher education. If you disagree with learning and higher education, it makes no sense to participate in it.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Take the course, read the book.
Choose not to read it? OK. Take the resulting grade.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Do you know what a graphic novel is? The pictures are integral to the text.
Look, I was offended by the boring ass crap I had to read throughout middle school, high school, and college.

But you read it bc it is part of the learning experience.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
Tough ****. University is about critical thinking and having beliefs challenged and questioned for the purpose of seeing how they hold up. If you refuse to read something based off of preconceived notions such as these, you're not really open to learning, and should be failed or given a zero on the corresponding assignment.

University isn't about learning within the confines of a bubble you chose in advance.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM

327 posts, read 398,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
What are your thoughts? Religious arguments aside, I thought a key purpose of attending university, especially one with the prestige of Duke, was to open your mind to new perspectives.

What do you think Duke should to in this instance? Simply give Fs to those who did not participate?

Duke University students refuse to read award-winning novel, calling it anti-Christian | WGN-TV
The students should drop the class and take another one. That is what they get for going to a secular school.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Rabbit, Run is about a man-child with an alcoholic wife, who destroys his family and abandons all responsibility. There was very little in it that would be considered "erotic."

Lolita, on the other hand, is a beautifully written trash book that is basically a primer for pedophiles on how to groom young girls. Assigned all the time. I read it and was truly nauseated. But I still read it.

See, differing opinions are ok!
Not to get O/T, but I believe there were several editions of Rabbit Run, the first where Updike was forced to cut some of the explicit stuff out and then he added them back in for subsequent editions. Probably the most explicit is an act which would have seemed shocking during the early 60s, but now is found commonly on prime time network TV shows, as well as mentioned on newscasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education