Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No, you should write more carefully. You implied the punishment was what was potential and the rules to use "se" already the certainty. You cut and pasted the last sentence and ignored the three before.
You're not reading carefully either. I included the relevant sentence that uses the word "expulsion" that the other guy was complaining about and demanding proof of.

But we're getting off topic. I'm proposing that you people just start using the word "ze" and not force anyone else to. If it catches on, it catches on. If not, let it go and don't go running to the PC police at your university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM

211 posts, read 211,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think these things are all ridiculous. I get it that you may want to be a transgender person, ok fine...
This part of your post made me pause and angered me, and I was ready to be annoying toward you...("people don't 'want to be' transgender...they just are")...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
...but now with like 80+ gender options on Facebook, you have lunatics doing stuff a la "I want to identify has part human, part asexual butterfly, part cyborg. Refer to me as zerglbhhhsht."
BUT...this ^^^part of your post made me laugh so hard that I have become a fan of yours!!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You're not reading carefully either. I included the relevant sentence that uses the word "expulsion" that the other guy was complaining about and demanding proof of.

But we're getting off topic. I'm proposing that you people just start using the word "ze" and not force anyone else to. If it catches on, it catches on. If not, let it go and don't go running to the PC police at your university.
You haven't shown that anyone forced anyone to do anything. You're the one making he positive claim that universities are already requiring this of their students. Evidence?

And no one here is forcing anyone to do anything.

As for usage, behold the power of societal pressure. It's only by talking about the emotional effect of words that we have made it unacceptable to use words like "retarded" and encouraged the proper use of terms like "Asian" as opposed to oriental. Whining about is the truly selfish act not mentioning that it is more inclusive to be sensitive as opposed to an indignant twit.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Oh brother. This is just the English language. Most languages have a pronoun for "he", "she", and "it". Pick one for yourself and be happy.

You have to have a gender. There is no such thing as a neuter/neutral person.
Yes there is. Just not in English nor in most other languages. But there are a few languages that lack gender, and everyone is neuter.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
"It" is not a word that humans use for other humans. You have already made your disdain for transgender people very clear, not sure why you need to keep reiterating.
"When your baby is born, are you going to breast-feed it?"

If that still rings badly, try "When the fetus is removed, what do they do with it?"

Or will you insist on "I dropped the egg and he or she broke".
."

Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
There is no such institution, but there are a lot of universities that collectively can carry a lot of weight by threatening students with disciplinary action if they use the wrong pronoun. Remember, failure to say "ze" under circumstances decided by the university equates with "hate speech". Punishment presumably could include expulsion for chronic cases.
This is what you wrote (emphasis mine).

Do you have any evidence that any public university in the United States is punishing, threatening, or expelling students for not using specific pronouns? Yes or No?

I'm guessing it's no.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You haven't shown that anyone forced anyone to do anything. You're the one making he positive claim that universities are already requiring this of their students. Evidence?
Quote:
This is what you wrote (emphasis mine).

Do you have any evidence that any public university in the United States is punishing, threatening, or expelling students for not using specific pronouns? Yes or No?

I'm guessing it's no.

You hall monitors are way too into this "gotcha" game. It's well known that college campuses are hotbeds of speech codes and I see no reason that alternative pronouns, which are very new, shouldn't be included in speech codes at some point if they aren't already.

Again, just start using made-up pronouns on your own, if you haven't already, and let it catch on naturally. That's my main point.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
You hall monitors are way too into this "gotcha" game. It's well known that college campuses are hotbeds of speech codes and I see no reason that alternative pronouns, which are very new, shouldn't be included in speech codes at some point if they aren't already.

Again, just start using made-up pronouns on your own, if you haven't already, and let it catch on naturally. That's my main point.
So, no, you have no evidence.

You think it's "gotcha," I call it intellectual dishonesty. I don't go around making "factual" claims I can't back up, and I suggest you do the same.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM

123 posts, read 82,428 times
Quote:
"Ze" is a new word, and new words serve new functions. "It" is a pronoun that is NOT used in reference to people unless the intention is to be offensive or to determine something, ie "Who is it?" "It's me."

If you call a person "it" YOU are choosing to be demeaning to that person. It's not particularly difficult to understand.

Not everyone accepts gender identity as a real thing though.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 PM

123 posts, read 82,428 times
Quote:
And I addressed it. If someone refuses to use a person's preferred pronoun - which might even be "ze" rather than"he" or "she" - that person has already made their stance clear.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to demand me to call you by a specific pronoun, you can keep walking and find someone else to talk to.

And then I'm sure said person will have an emotional breakdown because I refused to talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education