Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:02 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,277 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand, is he wouldn't have been allowed to smoke cigs at school anyway, so why the need for the e.cig there? If he had a 10 a day habit, he wasn't doing it school and was waiting till he was off school grounds anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 419,640 times
Yeah, he's under 18 and it should have been confiscated.

He should be happy that he wasn't charged with possession lol

Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You've GOT to be kidding.

I quit 12 years ago cold turkey but it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Countless studies have compared it to trying to quit heroin and other hard drugs. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug.

I doubt seriously your family coughed a couple of times and moved on.

To belittle the struggles of millions of smokers is insulting especially since you are relying on hearsay.

No, I'm not kidding.
And, no---I am not relying on hearsay, as I lived with the people in question, and was able to both observe them and speak to them on a daily basis while they conquered their nicotine addiction over a period of a few days. You can doubt whatever you wish to doubt, but because you weren't there, you really can't validly judge the situation that I observed with three family members.

I am aware of the studies that have compared nicotine addiction to heroin addiction, and all I can conclude is that for some (perhaps, most) people it is very difficult to quit smoking, and for other people it is relatively easy. Whether the difference comes down to differing body chemistry or to differences in strength of character, I can't say, but clearly it is a difficult process for many, and a relatively easy one for others.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh give us a break.

E-cigs have no place in a school, and a 14 has no business using them. Momma is not a mother. I don't even get the cell phone thing in school... wouldn't happen if I was the principal. Need to phone mommy or daddy? Fine, there is a phone in the office for that use. Bring a cell to school, it gets confiscated the first time, and you can pick it up with a parent. Bring it a second time, it's gone, forever.
Cell phones in school got their parental boost after the Columbine Massecre No, as principal you would have been sunk on that issue.

But vapor devices are not the only answer to a nicotine addiction, and should not be allowed in school any more than smoking cigarettes is allowed in school. Offhand, I'd say patches, if a doctor prescribes them.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Cell phones in school got their parental boost after the Columbine Massecre No, as principal you would have been sunk on that issue.

But vapor devices are not the only answer to a nicotine addiction, and should not be allowed in school any more than smoking cigarettes is allowed in school. Offhand, I'd say patches, if a doctor prescribes them.
Smoking and e-cigs should be reserved for adults. They have no place in a school either.

Cell phones annoy me. They can have educational value, but I have yet to see any classrooms using them in such a way. My school allows students to have them out, but not in class.

I think it's just easier to have a no tolerance policy towards phones. I tell my students that if I see a phone out, I will take it away and it will end up with the office assistant. They can pick it up after school. I took one phone away and haven't seen any phones out since.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
I remember when I was 14, me and my friends thought we we were cool, smoking on top of the roof at our HS. Lol...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Smoking and e-cigs should be reserved for adults. They have no place in a school either.

Cell phones annoy me. They can have educational value, but I have yet to see any classrooms using them in such a way. My school allows students to have them out, but not in class.

I think it's just easier to have a no tolerance policy towards phones. I tell my students that if I see a phone out, I will take it away and it will end up with the office assistant. They can pick it up after school. I took one phone away and haven't seen any phones out since.
"There is an app for that."

I've got an app called "Locale" that can reset the phone depending on location. When I'm at work, it sets all notifications to 20% sound. When I'm at church or one of our regular movie theaters, it turns off all notifications.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"There is an app for that."

I've got an app called "Locale" that can reset the phone depending on location. When I'm at work, it sets all notifications to 20% sound. When I'm at church or one of our regular movie theaters, it turns off all notifications.
I do something similar. However, the problem with phones in the classroom isn't the sound, but the inability for adolescents to keep them put away.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I do something similar. However, the problem with phones in the classroom isn't the sound, but the inability for adolescents to keep them put away.

We need a bigger market for limited-capability cell phones for adolescents.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No. IMO, they should have told the kid that using his vaporizer (electronic pacifier) was not allowed during the school day, and told Mum she could come get the vape gadget.
As for "needing it to quit a 10 per day cigarette habit", oh, poor baby! I quit a 30 per day habit by just stopping when the taxes became onerous to me. I chewed up a lot of toothpicks and hard candy, but I didn't use any "nicotine replacement therapy".
The kid needs to just suck it up and QUIT!
The kid knew it wasn't allowed. No type of cigarette is allowed at school. It is BS to pretend he didn't know. The school made the right call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education