Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:40 PM

282 posts, read 219,323 times

Advertisements

Okay. I am Asian. We were taught about proper way to use A and an, in my country.

As far as I know you use a for words beginning with consonants and an for words beginning with vowels. It's THAT simple.

Fast forward to today I am dumb founded that TV reporters, or any reporter for that matter and even some people here, use AN for ANY word not considering the A, an rule I grew up to know. I mean what gives.

The most common used sentence now that boggles me is - An history.

It has always been - A history, to me, coz well I know how to follow rules.

LOL.

I really just wonder if they change the rules on how to use An, most particularly?

This is the thread that made me do this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-proposal.html

I mean really, isn't it supposed to be A not an???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirlygirl View Post
Okay. I am Asian. We were taught about proper way to use A and an, in my country.

As far as I know you use a for words beginning with consonants and an for words beginning with vowels. It's THAT simple.

Fast forward to today I am dumb founded that TV reporters, or any reporter for that matter and even some people here, use AN for ANY word not considering the A, an rule I grew up to know. I mean what gives.

The most common used sentence now that boggles me is - An history.

It has always been - A history, to me, coz well I know how to follow rules.

LOL.

I really just wonder if they change the rules on how to use An, most particularly?

This is the thread that made me do this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-proposal.html

I mean really, isn't it supposed to be A not an???
Isn't English a fun language? lol

It would be 'a' history, but it would be 'an' historical.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
As a native English speaker.... yet a college level English taught speaker... I concur. It seems that there is a clear cut writing style rule that says before a consonant it should be "a" and with a vowel it should be "an." However there are also exceptions! (The norm in the English language are exceptions!) For example....
  • An hour or a hour... I would say an hour is correct because the sound is similar to "our" which starts with a vowel.
  • An herb or a herb... depends on how your pronounce herb. If you vowelize (not even a word but serves it's purpose) the h then it counts as a vowel verbally... however, technically you should write it as "a herb" due to the rules.
  • An honor or a honor... You get the point.
Speech rules and writing rules seem to contradict each other. I would say "an honor" but might write "a honor" so I understand your confusion.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

I disagree... I would say "a history" and "a historical" because the H is vocalized whereas the H in hour or honor are not vocalized thus the "an honor."

Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
As a native English speaker.... yet a college level English taught speaker... I concur. It seems that there is a clear cut writing style rule that says before a consonant it should be "a" and with a vowel it should be "an." However there are also exceptions! (The norm in the English language are exceptions!) For example....
  • An hour or a hour... I would say an hour is correct because the sound is similar to "our" which starts with a vowel.
  • An herb or a herb... depends on how your pronounce herb. If you vowelize (not even a word but serves it's purpose) the h then it counts as a vowel verbally... however, technically you should write it as "a herb" due to the rules.
  • An honor or a honor... You get the point.
Speech rules and writing rules seem to contradict each other. I would say "an honor" but might write "a honor" so I understand your confusion.

Concur 1000% I was gonna give those exception to the rules but thanks for doing it for me. Oh I am not confused at all. I always write it as:

An honor
An herb
An hour

Actually those reporters might be the ones confused with these exception to the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

Ok... yes why is that? For me, following my rules and the exception to the rules in the above quoted post, it should be:

'a' historical

Since it's not a silent h. But I really would like to know the explanation why it should be 'an' historical?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I disagree... I would say "a history" and "a historical" because the H is vocalized whereas the H in hour or honor are not vocalized thus the "an honor."
Yep. That's why I said. They MUST be confused. And now I really thought they change the rule or something. Glad to know, I am not the only one who knows the A, an rule.

I know my A, an rule VERY well. Thanks to my High School Teachers.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
A is for words beginning with a consonant sound, an for words that begin with a vowel sound. Hour begins with a vowel sound, even though the first letter is a vowel.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirlygirl View Post
Yep. That's why I said. They MUST be confused. And now I really thought they change the rule or something. Glad to know, I am not the only one who knows the A, an rule.

I know my A, an rule VERY well. Thanks to my High School Teachers.
Yes! But the controversy extends to words like "user." Is it "an user" (because it is actually a vowel) or is it "a user" (because verbally it is a Y sound)?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
A is for words beginning with a consonant sound, an for words that begin with a vowel sound. Hour begins with a vowel sound, even though the first letter is a vowel.
So an historical is wrong then? Do you concur? And that poster that used An really when it should be A really?

Okay then someone should tell those people to go back to elementary or something? Especially the TV reporters. Like really? MY grammar nazi is at boiling point whenever I hear an historical over and over on TV news.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:12 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
There are also the words that begin with a "u" but have an initial "y" sound like "union" and "university". Typically people use "a" before those words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education