Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:09 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times

Advertisements

Nothing like doubling an investment portfolio on the backs of students

Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
The article was 2 years old. Any latest one?

Old 10-01-2015, 12:27 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The National Education Association commands far more power (albeit through political influence than the workings of the markets), than any possible lobbying effort in favor of charter schools. And millions of American parents hold a skeptical attitude toward the motives of the NEA.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:56 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Nothing like doubling an investment portfolio on the backs of students

Forbes Welcome
Yea there is something like it in fact. Massive free-family healthcare till death and tax-free pension with the continual contributory and investment shortfalls paid for by taxpayers to teacher's union members. Charter schools generally don't have union teachers btw. Its cost us billions and billions so far.

So if someone is benefiting in addition to the kids it must be fraud on the kids - am I right?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea there is something like it in fact. Massive free-family healthcare till death and tax-free pension with the continual contributory and investment shortfalls paid for by taxpayers to teacher's union members. Charter schools generally don't have union teachers btw. Its cost us billions and billions so far.

So if someone is benefiting in addition to the kids it must be fraud on the kids - am I right?
Being married to a teacher, I can tell you that you are completely wrong on the insurance. And the pensions are contributed to by the teacher...who is not allowed to collect social security, btw. Good try.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The National Education Association commands far more power (albeit through political influence than the workings of the markets), than any possible lobbying effort in favor of charter schools. And millions of American parents hold a skeptical attitude toward the motives of the NEA.
You do realize the NEA is for teachers in schools that are completely transparent to the taxpayer, correct? Charters are not nor do they have to take into account what the taxpayers want. Around here, charter proponents have been bypassing local boards of ed to get the state to mandate a charter school the municipalilty has to pay for. Why do you support such slimy people?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
While the NEA is a powerful lobby, it pales in comparison to the billionaires that are backing charter school expansion. Here in Michigan Dick DeVos, the son of the founder of Amway, controls many many MANY legislators and singlehandedly pushed a right-to-work bill through.

Meet the New Kochs: The DeVos Clan's Plan to Defund the Left | Mother Jones

Old 10-04-2015, 12:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Being married to a teacher, I can tell you that you are completely wrong on the insurance. And the pensions are contributed to by the teacher...who is not allowed to collect social security, btw. Good try.
This is bull****. Teachers get social security and pensions in retirement. Federal employees because they work for the federal government do not get social security (they just get pensions). But state employees pay into social security so they get social security along with their pensions once they reach the proper age.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
The article was 2 years old. Any latest one?
2 years is not old for an article. When you're researching the rule of thumb is not to go back more than 10 years.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is bull****. Teachers get social security and pensions in retirement. Federal employees because they work for the federal government do not get social security (they just get pensions). But state employees pay into social security so they get social security along with their pensions once they reach the proper age.
Whether you can or cannot draw SS depends on the state. In some states the teacher pension replaces SS. Sometimes it reduces it. I'm in Michigan and if I'd never worked another day when I left engineering I would have gotten about $25k/year in SS. Because I became a teacher they are now estimating that I'll get around $18k/year. My SS benefit is reduced because I'll get a government pension of about $12K/year.

I'm going to fight this on the grounds that I was 100% vested for SS before becoming a teacher. In Michigan you still get SS but it's not as much as you'd get if you made the same salary in the private sector. I'm guessing the difference is the employer contribution to SS because I still contribute to SS.

This is changing for Michigan for new teachers. Now there is no pension. There's just a contribution to a 403b account. With no pension I'd assume newer teacher will get full SS if SS still exists when they get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education