Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:01 PM

35 posts, read 71,005 times

Advertisements

For this to work please answer a simple question as honestly as you can. After a couple of responses I will post the idea behing it so you can actually understand your results. Here's one final important clarification before the question itself:

Intelligence - a simplistic definition for the purpose of this experiment: an individual's ability to recognise patterns in all things. More intelligence does not mean having more knowledge, it means better understanding and using whatever knowledge you do have.

the question itself:

Out of what percentage of all your friends and acquaintances (no matter the age or gender) are you more intelligent than?

If you'r not entirely sure write down a rough percentage. Please be honest - saying something less than what you think because you think claiming you are very intelligent is a sign of arrogance or something - ignore that feeling and be honest. Also saying something more than what you think to get attention to yourself is also pointless - this is the internet - everything is anonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
65%

Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
To op, what are you trying to do? data mining?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I figure it's more like we'll all rate ourselves above average. Which will then be used to show how everyone thinks it's the other guy or something like that. Without considering this is far from a normal distribution, and I suspect just the fact that the responses will be from poster on CD means we're not normal. (In however context you wan to take that.)

Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post
For this to work please answer a simple question as honestly as you can. After a couple of responses I will post the idea behing it so you can actually understand your results. Here's one final important clarification before the question itself:

Intelligence - a simplistic definition for the purpose of this experiment: an individual's ability to recognise patterns in all things. More intelligence does not mean having more knowledge, it means better understanding and using whatever knowledge you do have.

the question itself:

Out of what percentage of all your friends and acquaintances (no matter the age or gender) are you more intelligent than?

If you'r not entirely sure write down a rough percentage. Please be honest - saying something less than what you think because you think claiming you are very intelligent is a sign of arrogance or something - ignore that feeling and be honest. Also saying something more than what you think to get attention to yourself is also pointless - this is the internet - everything is anonymous.

Your question doesn't make sense. If you meant to ask, "What percentage of all your friends and acquaintances are you more intelligent than," I would have to say circa 95% of them.

I'd also like to say that nothing we do or say on the Internet is anonymous.

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
This really depends on what subject area you are talking about. If you want to have a chemistry discussion I'll go with 98% (remember this is my acquaintances and friends not the world). If you want to have a discussion on foreign policy, 1%. There are areas where I apply myself and areas where I don't. Almost every adult around my age I know is more intelligent than me in something. I don't know how to answer this question.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I'd say 50-60%. If you'd asked me 15 years ago, I'd have said 70-80%, but I've either gotten more humble (or realistic) or lost some brain cells since then (most likely both).

Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Do you mean iq? Hmm I am not sure. I work in two environments. In the research lab I am distinct middle to low middle of the road. So maybe 60% are smarter than me. But I also teach high school. Compared to the other teachers and staff, I am in the top 25%. Compared to the students (they are all above average since it's a magnet school), dead middle 50/50. But I know more than they do

In my family, again close to smartest on one side, average on the other.

Among friends, most of them are in the same field I am, so 50/50.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:42 AM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
I'm getting a division by zero error. 0 of my friends out of 0 total friends....

(I'm too busy with family to have friends right now.)

Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM

153 posts, read 305,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Do you mean iq? Hmm I am not sure. I work in two environments. In the research lab I am distinct middle to low middle of the road. So maybe 60% are smarter than me. But I also teach high school. Compared to the other teachers and staff, I am in the top 25%. Compared to the students (they are all above average since it's a magnet school), dead middle 50/50. But I know more than they do

In my family, again close to smartest on one side, average on the other.

Among friends, most of them are in the same field I am, so 50/50.
This is how I feel.

I'm used to being one of the smarter people in the room, in previous jobs. At my current company, though, I am strictly middle of the road. There are a lot of brilliant people in my industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education