Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
My school does not have detentions because it's located in an unincorparated town. They have lunch detentions.
Lunch detention is a joke. I can't see it being effective after about 5th grade.

Just once, I was able to work off a detention during lunch in high school. The Dean needed some furniture moved and chairs set up, so he rounded up a small group of us scheduled for detention after school that day, and had us do the work in exchange for not having to stay after school. It was a good trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
My school does not have detentions because it's located in an unincorparated town. They have lunch detentions.

What does unincorporated town have to do with it?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:51 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Just one detention? You got off easy, man. How long did your detention last?
Just that day but that wasn't the only detention I had that year.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Just that day but that wasn't the only detention I had that year.
Was it a lunch detention?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What does unincorporated town have to do with it?
Well I probably should have said is it's a small school since unincorporated doesn't have anything to do with Saturday detention and they never had it at all. Most of the students there behave pretty well.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Lunch detention is a joke. I can't see it being effective after about 5th grade.

Just once, I was able to work off a detention during lunch in high school. The Dean needed some furniture moved and chairs set up, so he rounded up a small group of us scheduled for detention after school that day, and had us do the work in exchange for not having to stay after school. It was a good trade.
It's not a joke for me as lunch detentions don't bother me as I never had one that I'm aware of.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Definitely, throwing at a teacher is pretty bad, IMO. We didn't have ISS when I was in school. What's your opinion of it?

It's a good place to hide a fraternity brother who needs a job.

I don't know, with the frequent flyers it has no impact, they try to get it so they don't have to go to class. With good kids who get it for, say, too many tardies they're mortified and never have it again.

It all depends on the monitor, it can be party time or so miserable a kid doesn't ever want to have it again.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Was it a lunch detention?
No. It was a class detention where I had to sit in a room in the elementary office.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
My Son actually liked ISS, He got alot of work done, Does well in small class supervised time.

He got a few OSS, Total waste of effort, Punishment is you don't have to go to school. (Wow that hurts a kid).

I work full time, I can not be home to stop him from sleeping all day.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Wow, I never did anything that bad. How did you manage to shatter the glass in the door? I can't imagine how much trouble i'd have been in if I'd done that. It would have gone way beyond detention. I never threw anything at a teacher either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, that throwing thing would have been 10 days where I taught, Up until a couple years ago. Now it's a couple days in ISS.

I could see a window shattering, cold enough with enough bend on the frame.
I could have been suspended for throwing a pencil at someone and I would have been suspended or expelled from school grounds for shattering the door glass with my forehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education