Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I understand what you're saying. Again detention or in-school suspension might be the only ways that students might get their schoolwork done outside of class though.
The people you are describing are terrible students. If they're that bad, they probably lack the focus to get anything meaningful done in detention or ISS either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The people you are describing are terrible students. If they're that bad, they probably lack the focus to get anything meaningful done in detention or ISS either.
And the thing is I never had detention for goofing off in class that I know of because normally as the years went on in high school I started getting more mature.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
I had Saturday school one time. I forget what the offense was. So I walked there. Sat at the desk for about an hour. And then they wanted some of the kids to pick weeds from around the school and some of us to clean the desks with soap and water. I got up and left at that point.
I believe I got 3 days in-school for that.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,891 times
I believe it's no more different than a "time out." As teenagers though, clearly, it's pointless.

Only time i ever had detention was because of a few rude girls in my class being rude to a substitute, which cause the actual teacher to give the entire class detention. an hour of staring into space... so fun.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:03 PM

That probably makes sense that you could get detention for being rude. I don't think ever got detention for being rude to someone. Whenever I got rude I only was reprimanded.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Most of my friends and I got a reasonable number of detentions in high school, mostly for minor things. I used to get detention for talking or laughing in class, dress code violations, skipping class and lateness. I averaged about 8-10 detentions per year.
Around 7th or 8th grade I had an afterschool detention because I was tardy so many times for classes unexcused. I can see the majority of schools have different policies when it comes to tardiness. I know the policy at my school that I went to is that if you were late so many times for classes or school unexcused you are marked truant, period and truancy is bad; at least I never had it. Earlier in the thread as I said that whenever my classmates would goof off, especially talking or laughing when I am trying to do my schoolwork, it would just irritate me, especially some of the boys in my class.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yup!!!
Oldhag I can see this go either way and while purehuman is partially correct that if people were better teachers kids would not get detentions, as I said my logic is: maybe if people were better parents and teachers kids would not get detentions and that's my opinion. That is how I feel about it.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Does it really get THE message across? At least in my school the only messages it got across were:

a. Teacher is an idiot.
b. Boys get detention; girls get away with anything.
c. Individuals had the power to get the whole class in trouble. Yep, cut up enough and the whole class was punished for their actions. See Teacher is an idiot.
d. That's the worst they can do? Not so bad, just take the detention and total freedom to cut up because there's nothing more that they can do.

No where did any of the constant trouble makers get any message about not talking in class, or not cutting up, or any of the behaviors detention was supposed to stop. But a lot got the message that since the innocent would be punished alongside the guilty, there was no reason to follow the rules because the end result was the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It appears that you talking about schools sometime in the past. How much in the past?

In the school districts where I have worked detentions have changed significantly in the last 10 to 15 years, and especially the last 20 years. And, even before that many improvements and changes were made.

tnff, so are you talking about your school days? And, if so, how long ago was that?
Your school and your experience may not have been the norm even back then. You really can not "blame" schools in 2015 for things that happened in your school in 2005 or 1995 or 1985. And you can not just assume that those things are still happening in most schools in 2015.

Regarding #c. In the now 40 years (OMG) since I started teaching I have never seen a class in my building where the whole class got into trouble for the actions of an individual or a small group of students, except for the teacher doing something very minor such as holding the entire class for a minute or two at lunch lunch time or recess. And, even that was rare, because the teacher would attempt to provide an appropriate punishment to the individual student or students causing the trouble.

If a teacher gave an entire class detention she or he would be the one in serious trouble with administration because they were not using appropriate behavior management strategies. And, that was true in my schools even back when I started teaching in 1975. Your experience in your school back in 1975 may have been different but you can not assume that all or most schools did it the same way. And you certainly can not assume that the same thing is happening today.
Or maybe even back in 1975, 1965, 1955, 1945 or 1935 in my opinion.

Having the entire class getting detention is really bad. Very, very, bad. At least I never had detention with the ENTIRE CLASS.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Does it really get THE message across? At least in my school the only messages it got across were:

a. Teacher is an idiot.
b. Boys get detention; girls get away with anything.
c. Individuals had the power to get the whole class in trouble. Yep, cut up enough and the whole class was punished for their actions. See Teacher is an idiot.
d. That's the worst they can do? Not so bad, just take the detention and total freedom to cut up because there's nothing more that they can do.

No where did any of the constant trouble makers get any message about not talking in class, or not cutting up, or any of the behaviors detention was supposed to stop. But a lot got the message that since the innocent would be punished alongside the guilty, there was no reason to follow the rules because the end result was the same.
d. definitely applied to me. After the first few times, detention just didn't seem like that big of a deal. It was a minor inconvenience, as long as it wasn't for too many consecutive days. So the thought of getting it wasn't all that much of a deterrent.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Or maybe even back in 1975, 1965, 1955, 1945 or 1935 in my opinion.

Having the entire class getting detention is really bad. Very, very, bad. At least I never had detention with the ENTIRE CLASS.
I used to hate whole class detentions. I had a few of them in high school -- I can't remember how many. Maybe about 10, so not that many. I didn't really mind getting individual detentions that I deserved, and sometimes I got them on purpose. But I hated being punished for something somebody else did, that I had no control over. Still, I got a lot more individual detentions than whole class detentions. That's the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education