Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I used to hate whole class detentions. I had a few of them in high school -- I can't remember how many. Maybe about 10, so not that many. I didn't really mind getting individual detentions that I deserved, and sometimes I got them on purpose. But I hated being punished for something somebody else did, that I had no control over. Still, I got a lot more individual detentions than whole class detentions. That's the way it should be.
I don't think I ever had the whole class get the detention when I was in school. I don't think that was the case for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I don't think I ever had the whole class get the detention when I was in school. I don't think that was the case for me.
You were lucky.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You were lucky.
Very lucky. I've had the entire class get in trouble but not detention. Has that happened when you were in school when you had the entire class get detention?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Very lucky. I've had the entire class get in trouble but not detention. Has that happened when you were in school when you had the entire class get detention?
I don't understand your question. The entire class got detention on occasion because the whole class got in trouble when the teacher couldn't identify who had done something disruptive, and nobody confessed.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't understand your question. The entire class got detention on occasion because the whole class got in trouble when the teacher couldn't identify who had done something disruptive, and nobody confessed.
That's what I'm asking whether if the entire class got into detention at all. That's what I'm getting at and now you will understand what I'm talking about.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
That's why schools should bring back corporal punishment.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I don't agree with physical punishment at all. It's much easier to "teach a lesson" by taking away privileges.

However, I really wish we could send kids home who refuse to behave. Make it a parent problem. If your kid misbehaves in a store, he/she will be asked to leave. Same thing should apply in school.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't agree with physical punishment at all. It's much easier to "teach a lesson" by taking away privileges.

However, I really wish we could send kids home who refuse to behave. Make it a parent problem. If your kid misbehaves in a store, he/she will be asked to leave. Same thing should apply in school.
Yeah I don't agree with corporal punishment either because it can cause assault or child abuse.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm asking whether if the entire class got into detention at all. That's what I'm getting at and now you will understand what I'm talking about.
The answer is yes, sometimes the entire class was kept after school. Sometimes, it was just for a short period, but a couple of times, it was for a very long detention session, stretching until late into the afternoon or early evening.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

While I don't agree with corporal punishment in schools either but at least it is something that kids realize that they need to start behaving better.

I do agree that schools should send kids home when they refuse to behave especially when their behaviors are so deliberate, blatant, and flagrant. For example, I remember at a basketball game, I got into a really a fight in the stands with a guy and a couple girls and the day after that, as after I issued apology letters to those people I was given a one day out of school suspension for my acts. One of the girls that I was setting next to, I asked her to accept my apology but she didn't know but we did reconcile a couple years later even though we both graduated then. I try to forget the incident but again I was suspended, out of school, for one day. In fact that was the only time I ever got suspended from school ever. The reason why I got into that fight because I was so upset that I didn't get to play, since I was on the JV basketball team at the time. Not only was I suspended, I was also removed from the basketball team. I've learned my learned my lesson and I felt better about it when I needed punishment.

Besides in my school those who refuse to behave not only get removed from the classroom but they may get detention or suspension. And also I wish schools would have some of the Zero Tolerance Policy for certain types of behaviors, especially with those who blatantly and deliberately break school rules.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 08-22-2016 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education