Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Most districts have a late bus to make sure kids who have after school activities or detention get home safe.

Most that don't give lunch detention.
My school never had late buses for afterschool detentions. You had to get your own ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 02:33 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Do they have cameras in the hallways?
I wish they did...the classrooms especially.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wish they did...the classrooms especially.
Yeah some of these bigger schools do have them in hallways, classrooms, libraries, locker rooms, weightrooms, bathrooms, lunchrooms, etc. I like the idea of having security cameras in schools so staff, especially either the principle or administrator would keep an eye on the students to make sure they are following school rules.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Yeah some of these bigger schools do have them in hallways, classrooms, libraries, locker rooms, weightrooms, bathrooms, lunchrooms, etc. I like the idea of having security cameras in schools so staff, especially either the principle or administrator would keep an eye on the students to make sure they are following school rules.
Your school has cameras in the classrooms and bathrooms ?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your school has cameras in the classrooms and bathrooms ?
No, it's a pretty small school because it's located in a small unincorperated town where I live so it doesn't have cameras anywhere on school grounds but I wish it would. However they do have two entrance cameras when you push the button so a secretary, both elementary and high school, sees who is standing outside. I think around the 8:05 bell the doors automatically lock which is when school days begin.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 11-25-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 11-26-2015, 09:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
I am really ashamed at society today. Why were students allowed to come and go from the building in previous decades, but this is no longer allowed? Why are cameras being installed all over the place in schools, but we did okay without them in former decades?

Seems like no one trusts anyone anymore.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:46 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I am really ashamed at society today. Why were students allowed to come and go from the building in previous decades, but this is no longer allowed? Why are cameras being installed all over the place in schools, but we did okay without them in former decades?

Seems like no one trusts anyone anymore.

The "coming and going" off campus was a regional or even local thing. We weren't able to and I graduated from high school in PA in 1972.

The reason why that has pretty much gone away is litigation. Schools are responsible for students from bus pick up until bus discharge. There were just enough lawsuits, which school systems lost, concerning car accidents, sexual assaults and even murders by students during open lunch that it's been pretty much shut down.

As far as cameras go it's much the same, litigation. You've taught so you know about how "he said, she said" stuff is almost impossible to untangle.

You have a fight and most school system suspend both kids, it's just too hard to untangle the mess and you can't be accused of favoritism.

Cameras take away a bit of uncertainty. Some systems in the South even have classrooms cameraed, something several C-D posters are highly in favor of (for the record, I'm not. In fact I didn't even like them in the hallways. For a number of reasons, one of which they make lazy administrators even lazier, if that's possible).

Old 11-27-2015, 03:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
The off campus thing must be regional. My school does not allow kid to leave at all, or even eat outside. The high school I attended let juniors and seniors with good grades leave school for lunch or eat outside in the courtyard. However, a girl was approached by some creepy guy before school. So my high school stopped letting people hang out in the parking lot before school. I'm really surprised they didn't suspend all privileges.

A colleague works in Chicago and his school has cameras in every classroom. I really don't like that idea. It makes it easy for lazy admins to listen in. Little things could be taken out of context. On the bright side, it could eliminate any student or parent complaints. I'm just not a fan of this "don't trust anyone" mentality that requires cameras all over the place. It's very 1984esque.

I walked into the admin's office one time and he was sitting there eating lunch while watching the cameras. I guess they do that during passing time.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Meh. At our local high school, kids can get detention for going to the bathroom more than four times per semester (total, not with one particular teacher/class). I remember getting detentions for things like having a ratty book cover (those paper bag covers, I mean). I'm thinking that parents are not the problem in these situations.... (We homeschool, so going to the bathroom is not a disciplinary issue for my kids.) For stupid things like that, it's ineffective. What's the lesson, here? Go potty less often?
I never understood the fact that you would get detention for using the restrooms more than 4 times per semester. Because, as I said earlier, if you show up late for class unexcused a lot in most schools, you are assigned detention.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Does anyone know of schools that don't use detention? Mine doesn't, as most students would have no way home because most parents either are working or don't have cars. We have very few consequences for minor misconduct. It's in-school or out-of-school suspension and that is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education