Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 08:29 AM

4,353 posts, read 4,192,811 times

Advertisements

I worked for a Huntington Learning Center a long time ago, but I'm assuming that their model hasn't changed much. It was very expensive, but I saw kids who really hated school and the struggle they had with it grow into kids who were much more confident because they saw their progress in the program transfer to their school experience and grades. Some of the kids had some serious issues, including with dysgraphia. One poor boy could not trace a circle for weeks, but he kept at it and eventually he was able to transfer that skill to his handwriting. Another was about to fail 8th grade for the second time, but I helped him get his math skills up, mostly by appealing to his love of baseball.

What I really liked about working at the Center was the one-on-one with the students. All the teachers walked on tiptoes, and talking was just above a whisper. Each assignment was short and focused on one skill where success was almost guaranteed. When kids constantly fail, they give up, because it is easier on the ego to fail without trying than to give it your best every time and still fail. The Center's focus was on building through small increments so that students were always succeeding. You could only see the progress once the program had been followed for a few months.

I would take the advice of those who found success in the program and try it out over the summer. Starting school with stronger skills will help assuage some of the anxiety that is associated with starting a new school year after a bad one. What would you rather regret? Spending some money on a program that didn't work? Or waiting until after your child is once again drowning in schoolwork that is over his head?

I would rather give it a try and be out some money than wish I had done it sooner. Your child won't like the idea of having to do schoolwork over the summer, but I would bet that making honor roll for the first time in a long time would make it worthwhile. That's not guaranteed, but I've seen it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 12:20 AM

20 posts, read 15,969 times
Huntington learning center is good but there are also shortcomings. One of the main cons of Huntington learning center is its price. The services can be quite expensive, and the cost may vary depending on the location and the specific program. This can make inaccessible or unaffordable for some families. For this reason, I would recommend checking out Beestar.org. Beestar is an online platform, which means students can access it from anywhere with an internet connection. This flexibility allows students to study and practice at their own pace and convenience, fitting the learning into their schedule. It emphasizes skill development through interactive practice. The platform offers a variety of exercises, quizzes, and challenges that helps students enhance their critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. I also have a 10 year old kid in Beestar. It is amazing that he is becoming a better student at school since he joined Beestar.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokha View Post
My son used to join Mathnasium. However, we have to pay hundreds per month for the basic service. Then, we did sign up online Beestar last year and found the amount of weekly work reasonable. The questions are interesting and not repetitive so my son likes them. Math and Science practice are what we signed him up so far at Beestar. Moreover, he is becoming a better student at school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kha View Post
We did sign up online at Beestar.org last year and found the amount of weekly work reasonable. The questions are interesting and not repetitive so my son likes them. Math and Science practice are what we signed him up for so far at Beestar. Moreover, he is becoming a better student at school.
An amazing consistency through all posts by these posters. Very good job at the wording and placing of ads within discussions.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:17 PM

20 posts, read 15,969 times
There is an online program called Beestar.org which offers online resources and materials for students. It covers a wide range of subjects, including math, English, science, social studies, and more. This comprehensive coverage allows students to access resources and practice materials for multiple subjects in one place. It also provides weekly exercises and quizzes that encourage students to engage in regular practice. Consistent practice is crucial for reinforcing learning and improving retention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education