Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Are you serious? There are lots of stories about drinking parties, etc in some sports groups.
Sports? In my high school, the drama kids were the biggest pot smokers on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Are you serious? There are lots of stories about drinking parties, etc in some sports groups.
Is what I meant is that if no extra curricular activities were available. Most students who would be part of a club or sport wouldn't get in that much trouble. I think football may be the exception here.

All of my band kids, soccer kids, tennis kids, and golf kids are great. The football players are the ones with laziness issues.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is what I meant is that if no extra curricular activities were available. Most students who would be part of a club or sport wouldn't get in that much trouble. I think football may be the exception here.

All of my band kids, soccer kids, tennis kids, and golf kids are great. The football players are the ones with laziness issues.
Hmmm. So we should end all sports? Anyway, I'm no football fan but I think they get the bum rap as people immediately assume they are trouble. Ask an athletic director which teams are trouble. I bet most would put boys wrestling and boys soccer before football.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Hmmm. So we should end all sports? Anyway, I'm no football fan but I think they get the bum rap as people immediately assume they are trouble. Ask an athletic director which teams are trouble. I bet most would put boys wrestling and boys soccer before football.
I don't think we should end any sports. I just think that they should have no involvement with school and should be done through private clubs or cities outside of school.

It has been my experience that wrestling kids are okay, probably a step above football. Every football player I've had was a goofball (not necessarily a bad kid, just hyper and/or immature).

Old 11-17-2015, 02:15 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
Just remember that the people you will be competing against for a spot in college or for a job probably didn't leave school early, and therefore might just take your place. As long as you're good with that, and don't complain, go for it.
That's a little melodramatic, dontcha think? Most student-athletes would be leaving early maybe once a week, twice tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And it's just not athletes, many activities like Band and Chorus have various events for which they have to leave early as do extra curriculars such as Moot Court, FBLA, etc.
I had to leave early for debate matches if we traveled to another school.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't think we should end any sports. I just think that they should have no involvement with school and should be done through private clubs or cities outside of school.
I've heard that over and over again many times. It's not going to happen. Now, IMO, HS sports should not be a farm system for the colleges, which in turn should not be a farm system for the pros. The biggest offenders in that regard are football and both men's and women's basketball. I can assure you, having two kids who went through HS gymnastics, it's not the way to the Olympic gymnastics team, or even a college scholarship in gymnastics. That's all through club. My friend whose son did HS tennis said that's true of tennis as well.

Quote:
It has been my experience that wrestling kids are okay, probably a step above football. Every football player I've had was a goofball (not necessarily a bad kid, just hyper and/or immature).
Isn't that maybe a bit of an exaggeration? My husband did HS football at the same HS as Gale Sayers, and went on to Caltech and a PhD in physics from Illinois.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I've heard that over and over again many times. It's not going to happen. Now, IMO, HS sports should not be a farm system for the colleges, which in turn should not be a farm system for the pros. The biggest offenders in that regard are football and both men's and women's basketball. I can assure you, having two kids who went through HS gymnastics, it's not the way to the Olympic gymnastics team, or even a college scholarship in gymnastics. That's all through club. My friend whose son did HS tennis said that's true of tennis as well.

Isn't that maybe a bit of an exaggeration? My husband did HS football at the same HS as Gale Sayers, and went on to Caltech and a PhD in physics from Illinois.
Oh my I have found common ground with you. High school gymnastics is awesome. I've seen so many burnt out girls who left club gymnastics dejectedly who found the high school team to be a BLAST. I'd hate to see that taken away.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Oh my I have found common ground with you. High school gymnastics is awesome. I've seen so many burnt out girls who left club gymnastics dejectedly who found the high school team to be a BLAST. I'd hate to see that taken away.
LOL, there's always common ground! It was great for my kids to do HS gymnastics. They were both captains their senior year. They went to such a big school that getting elected to any student council office was practically an impossibility, but in a small group like a gymnastics team, their leadership skills came out. Being part of a team was pretty cool, too.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
I don't see a problem with it. And if you're a talented athlete hoping for a D1 scholarship you sure as heck better be able to juggle academics and Athletics.

Education is more than just academic classes. There is a much bigger focus on producing well rounded individuals involved with various things above and beyond school classes.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM

174 posts, read 124,410 times
Quote:
LOL, there's always common ground! It was great for my kids to do HS gymnastics. They were both captains their senior year. They went to such a big school that getting elected to any student council office was practically an impossibility, but in a small group like a gymnastics team, their leadership skills came out. Being part of a team was pretty cool, too.
I officiate here and just love it. Even though I prefer large schools, I know you have to pretty freaking awesome to make most sports teams. Very cool they did so well with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education