Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 PM

660 posts, read 658,456 times

Advertisements

As a senior in High School, I have been through many teachers year after year. I run for Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Track. With Indoor Track starting in a few days, we get to leave school early a lot. From the teachers, some are cool with it and other hate it. For example, one of my teachers complained that the girls field hockey team left school at 1:00 for their sectional game (school ends at 2:30). Also, the football, soccer, and other teams all get to leave school early. I am not against leaving school early and actually love leaving school 30 minutes-1 hour early to go to my race/meet, but I am biased. What do the posters here think about leaving school early for sports events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
It is a necessary evil.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM

166 posts, read 313,705 times
Just remember that the people you will be competing against for a spot in college or for a job probably didn't leave school early, and therefore might just take your place. As long as you're good with that, and don't complain, go for it.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
Just remember that the people you will be competing against for a spot in college or for a job probably didn't leave school early, and therefore might just take your place. As long as you're good with that, and don't complain, go for it.

How would a college know?
The athletes I know had to keep up with the work and made good grades.
Colleges care about the course work, not the attendance.

I don't get the job thing either...
if the athlete misses last period because of their sporting event, they don't have time for a job. They are at their event.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

166 posts, read 313,705 times
All I'm saying is that by leaving early all the time, there is a good chance that your grades may not be on the same level as someone who stayed in school all day every day. If you're good enough to get the same grades regardless of attendance, more power to you. But there will most likely come a point in time when it will make a difference, and someone else may get that spot that you want.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I think it's weird. I was a multisport high school athlete, and we never cut school to play. We would play in the evening or do our meets on the weekends.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Student athletes were among the highest in class rank at my kids' school.
If they did not keep up the grades, they were kicked off the team.

Missing ninth period Fridays during football season had little/no impact on band and football students' GPAs, in my experience.
etc.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
For some reason 2 of my 4 years in HS, they moved the school to a difference conference, We were the further school from all the other, all were 45-60 min away, for "Day Light" games we had to leave early (and our classes started at 7:10am-250pm) we would leave before end of the last period, or two periods back if it was the far/far away school.

It did effect our grades, i'm sure, on the flip side, we would not get back to school till 8p or so, getting caught in rush hour traffic. Night games were even worse, we would not get home to close to midnight, and have to be back @ school for 7:10 the next morning. No time to do any homework, could not do it on the bus, to dark, to tired, to much movement.

After 1st year in the new sport conference the school got us moved to a different one, but we still had to do the 2nd year in it, before we could move to a group of closer schools for my senior year. Then we did not have to leave "early" since we got out so early anyway.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
You're in school like 200 days a year. Leaving a handful early won't matter.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
With all the consolidation of schools over the last 30 years, schools are further apart. In our conference, we had to travel to schools up to two hours away. Night games meant the kids didn't get home until after midnight. Most took their books with them and worked homework on the bus ride.

If you're a good student, leaving early on some sports days won't hurt your learning. Rather than hurt your chances at college, it will probably help because as an athlete you can check more boxes for being well rounded. Like someone else mentioned, a lot of the kids on the teams are the better students. Most of DD's soccer team was also honor roll. Those who weren't wouldn't have been anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education