Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:27 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

They can afford to. If I could afford a prestigious prep school for my kids I would do it. Poor people can't afford private school. Everyone wants their kid to have the best.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Teachers know how bad some of the schools are. They don't control the educational system. Of course they should send their kids to private school if that is what they think is best for their kids.

I mean….seriously? Who wouldn't do that?

Old 11-20-2015, 05:29 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.

Don't worry about other people's kids. Worry about your own. Can't figure out for the life of me why you would even care what she does with her paycheck.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:43 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Teachers know how bad some of the schools are. They don't control the educational system. Of course they should send their kids to private school if that is what they think is best for their kids.

I mean….seriously? Who wouldn't do that?
A lot of people wouldn't do that. How many kids who went ot private school put their own kids in public school. Just because the school is private doesn't mean it will be better or even good.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't understand underlying racism.
Perhaps you don't understand Catholicism. No, wait, not "perhaps". You don't understand why Catholic parents choose a Catholic education for their kids.

Quote:
Actually a good adminstrator does take ownership of her place just like any good boss does. It's her school, her staff, her students).
Yep. And they are her children. See how that works?

Quote:
There's a difference between burgers and kids. I think public schools are being destroyed by people who want private schools to be the way of the country. I believe in neighborhood schools because a good school enhances a good community and vice versa. So I do get upset when someone plays into the hands of people who want public schools to be a thing of the past.
That's a mighty big leap you're taking there, coupled with an unhealthy dose of paranoia. You're implying that one public school teacher sending her kids to a Catholic school is contributing toward the demise of the public school system? Good one! LMAO ...

Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't understand underlying racism. People send their kids to catholic schools in this city because they fear their white children being a minority. When I told people that my son would be going to these schools (without them knowing his race), I was warned that he'd be chastised and singled out for being white. I think a lot of parents do worry about that and choose private schools instead. I remember friends who went to the very high school she sends her kids to and they joke they walked into school on the first day and said "Hey where did all the black kids go?"

Anyway, I think you protest too much about your snobbery. Why so offended that I pointed out my kid's race. I was accused of being a racist victim and in my experience has been that people who are quick to say "it's not racist" actually have some racist tendencies.
This goes both ways.

You see a white person who has a good reason to put her white kids in a majority black school (because she works in the system) instead put her kids in a majority white school. You immediately call racism, and you stanchly refute any claims otherwise.

But don't you realize that you have a black child, you had a good reason to put your black child in a majority white school (because that's where your other children go), but you didn't, you left your black child in a majority black school? But you claim it is NOT racism that made you do that, you had reasons to keep your child in that school, namely your child was thriving and succeeding in that school and it was a good school and a good fit for your child.

WHY on EARTH can you not fathom that it is the same the other way around? Why must principal be racist for doing the same thing you are doing, just inverse? If you aren't racist keeping your child in a school where his race is the majority, then neither is she!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
A lot of people wouldn't do that. How many kids who went ot private school put their own kids in public school. Just because the school is private doesn't mean it will be better or even good.
You are very defensive about this public school thing, including the city public school/suburban public school dichotomy.

I have told the story of my friend's experience with the Catholic school math curriculum in her community several times. Yes, the publics were ahead. I've told of people who've sent their kids to private, usually religious schools to get them away from a bad influence, only for the kids to find similar friends at their new school. You haven't even acknowledged those statements; you just keep posting about "private isn't always better", etc. In addition, you say, "suburban schools have crime, drugs, etc too" as if that's news to any of us! If I had the time/inclination, I'd do a search to find rates of crime in the various settings. I'd bet my cat (you get her if I'm wrong) that crime is higher in the city, period. That includes crime on school property.

Quote:
There's a difference between burgers and kids. I think public schools are being destroyed by people who want private schools to be the way of the country. I believe in neighborhood schools because a good school enhances a good community and vice versa. So I do get upset when someone plays into the hands of people who want public schools to be a thing of the past.
So you do have an agenda! You surely know that "neighborhood schools" was once a code word for segregated schools, no?

Private school enrollment in the US is about 10% and decreasing.
Proportion of U.S. Students in Private Schools is 10 Percent and Declining*|*Jack Jennings

Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
This goes both ways.

You see a white person who has a good reason to put her white kids in a majority black school (because she works in the system) instead put her kids in a majority white school. You immediately call racism, and you stanchly refute any claims otherwise.

But don't you realize that you have a black child, you had a good reason to put your black child in a majority white school (because that's where your other children go), but you didn't, you left your black child in a majority black school? But you claim it is NOT racism that made you do that, you had reasons to keep your child in that school, namely your child was thriving and succeeding in that school and it was a good school and a good fit for your child.

WHY on EARTH can you not fathom that it is the same the other way around? Why must principal be racist for doing the same thing you are doing, just inverse? If you aren't racist keeping your child in a school where his race is the majority, then neither is she!
Ok, I have to run out but will quickly answer these things. My child had to go this school since he started elementary because he was in foster care. The state felt it best that he go to the schools his biomother (and grandparents mostly) resided in because they figured he would end up there. We did a LOT Of driving, but that's what you do when you love your child. By the time he was officially our's to adopt, it was the middle of his freshman year and hit was his decision. We were perfectly happy to keep up everything. Would he have been fine in the suburban school? Likely, yes. But we were ok with it because even though it's labeled "failing" with a high drop out rate, we think his education is just as strong as the other kids' educations and the opportunities for extracurriculars and AP classes are actually better. But many people though I was crazy to allow this because of they're prejudices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are very defensive about this public school thing, including the city public school/suburban public school dichotomy.

I have told the story of my friend's experience with the Catholic school math curriculum in her community several times. Yes, the publics were ahead. I've told of people who've sent their kids to private, usually religious schools to get them away from a bad influence, only for the kids to find similar friends at their new school. You haven't even acknowledged those statements; you just keep posting about "private isn't always better", etc. In addition, you say, "suburban schools have crime, drugs, etc too" as if that's news to any of us! If I had the time/inclination, I'd do a search to find rates of crime in the various settings. I'd bet my cat (you get her if I'm wrong) that crime is higher in the city, period. That includes crime on school property.

So you do have an agenda! You surely know that "neighborhood schools" was once a code word for segregated schools, no?

Private school enrollment in the US is about 10% and decreasing.
Proportion of U.S. Students in Private Schools is 10 Percent and Declining*|*Jack Jennings
Yes, I am defensive of public schools.
I actually did acknowledge your friend's saga (at least quietly, I did), but I don't recall you acknowledging my points either.
Duh. Of course a city has higher crime. There are usually more people and more people in poverty. I'm not sure what would come of comparing school crime in cities to suburbs. But I can tell you that a lot of kids in suburbs don't get in trouble for things kids in urban schools get into because the pushback from parents (even if kids are flat out wrong) in suburbs is more prevalent and many administrators don't want to deal with it.
My agenda is to defend public schools - are you really accusing me of wanting racially segretated schools? I believe in neighborhood schools not because I want kids segregated (hello, look at my family), but because I think a school is a center of the community - that's how it is in successful systems . Every parent that was a student during Boston's late 70s bussing situation (and yes the behavior of many parents there was embarrassing) said they want their kid to be able to walk down the street and go to school. My son has parents with the desire and resources to drive him into the city for everything - and believe me we put him tons of activities in the city. I've seen parents who tuitioned their kids into a school closer to their work place or one they work at and it rarely works because the kid isn't involved in activities outside school thus doesn't have school friends and they don't keep up with friends back home anymore because they don't see them in school. Many in his school system don't so bussing them farther away from home isn't a good idea. What's ironic is that many of the neighborhoods that feed into his school actually are integrated. But when it comes to schools, half the white kids go to private.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps you don't understand Catholicism. No, wait, not "perhaps". You don't understand why Catholic parents choose a Catholic education for their kids.

Yep. And they are her children. See how that works?

That's a mighty big leap you're taking there, coupled with an unhealthy dose of paranoia. You're implying that one public school teacher sending her kids to a Catholic school is contributing toward the demise of the public school system? Good one! LMAO ...
It doesn't help. And yes if you read about the public school system and who is trying to run it. Usually people who don't have kids in public schools - Bill Gates, David Coleman, Eli Broad, etc. Something tells me you don't think outside yourself though.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:37 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Some. You are very naive if you think all catholic school parents do it for religious reasons. You're naive if you think 70% of them do.

It's none of your business why they do it. And you're naive if you don't think lots of black kids aren't going to private schools too, including Catholic ones. Quit worrying about other people's business. That way you won't find yourself assuming that 100 percent of the people who don't do things your way, are doing it because they're racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education