Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:16 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

I don't know that a teacher has to feel that the school he/she teaches at is the best school in the district in order to effectively teach her students. Their job is to teach the students, not to send their own children to the same school.

If I got a job in the local school district, I would not send my kids there. We've opted out for a reason. If I were in the position to be looking for a job and I got one there, though, I'd still take it.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I actually think it is if she is a leading administrator in the public school system. If the school isn't the "right fit" for her kids, then what's wrong with it? And does she have an interest in running it well if she doesn't believe in it?
I personally would take note if a large number of teachers in a particular school did not send their children there.

In this case, though, it sounds like you're feeling defensive about YOUR decision to send your kids to the school. If it works for you, then great! If it doesn't, then you are free to send them elsewhere. It's good for parents (even parents who work at schools) to have choices.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I personally would take note if a large number of teachers in a particular school did not send their children there.

In this case, though, it sounds like you're feeling defensive about YOUR decision to send your kids to the school. If it works for you, then great! If it doesn't, then you are free to send them elsewhere. It's good for parents (even parents who work at schools) to have choices.
I don't know if they do. Many live outside the system and use public schools which is normal while some who live in the city have kids in different zones because of where they live. My youngest kids are in a suburban school with a handful of kids who go to the school their parents teach in. I do consider it a different situation, if you live in the city and/or don't send your kids to public schools. Yes, I've know public school teachers who sent their kids to private schools and I had little respect for them. I remember my own middle school science teacher who would brag about her kid in a private school while dissing public schools.

My child who is in that system is adopted through foster care. By the time we made him official and could put him in the suburban schools my other kids are in, he and hubby and I were great with him staying there. I've dealt with people in my own town looking at me like they are sorry that my poor child had to go to this school. I'd love to take them to the school so they could actually see it. Sure there are some kids who are rough, but it's not difficult to stay away from that. And honestly, my kid is extremely well adjusted and I think being in a city school is why.

Either way, I still don't like that his former teacher (now principal) of that school made the choice to segregate her kids from the ones she teaches. Around here, many private school parents have to slam public schools to justify their decisions and I believe this woman is sending the wrong message. She may not realize it, but she is.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:33 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Of course some would love to. It's much easier to teach in a private school. But there are also teachers and parents who believe in public schools and have no need to segregate their kids. I, for one, have enough faith in my parenting then to believe my kid will be worse off because he knows kids who aren't "desirable" to others.
It's not about "segregating" your kids from "undesirables". It's about finding the best fit for your kids. Sometimes public school is the best place for them, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it wouldn't matter one way or another.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's not about "segregating" your kids from "undesirables". It's about finding the best fit for your kids. Sometimes public school is the best place for them, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it wouldn't matter one way or another.
That's the thing. I think type of schooling wouldn't matter one way or another for her kids. Yet she sends the message that minority children and poor to middle class children are not for her kids.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM

Schooling shouldn't matter one way or another for my kids. We are of middle-income SES, married, very involved parents, literate, lots of books in the home, etc, etc. Still, we chose the best educational option for us, which is not the public school. People want to do the best by their kids, regardless of whether the outcome would be similar somewhere that isn't quite best.

While I don't know about your particular Catholic school, the one here has quite a few minority children and middle-class families. They offer a lot of financial aid to families who otherwise could not afford private school. So I wouldn't make the assumption that your principal is choosing a school based on racial/socio-economic variables by choosing a Catholic school.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I'd think that be a difficult situation no matter where the mom or daughter worked or went to high school. And if she thinks merely going to a catholic school would prevent teen sex, well ha ha.
It was worse with mom and daughter at the same small, rural high school. You are conflating my two stories, which involve two different friends.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
That's the thing. I think type of schooling wouldn't matter one way or another for her kids. Yet she sends the message that minority children and poor to middle class children are not for her kids.
Your agenda is showing again.

You are INFERRING that she is trying to avoid minority kids by having her kids in Catholic school-- when, in reality there's a multitude of reasons, that many posters have listed, that she might have to enroll her kids elsewhere: she might prefer to have her kids out of the spotlight, she might prefer a religious education, the location or hours might work better for her family's schedule, there might be programming (sports, band, etc) that her children are interested in that aren't offered by public schools, and on and on and on. Yet, you insist that there's only ONE possible reason (racism).

In any case, as I stated before, it's NONE of your business. This "concern" of yours says a LOT more about you than it does about her.

I suggest that you mind your own business and keep your concerns to yourself in the workplace, if she's your boss and catches wind of this, don't be surprised if she tries to find ways to make your life less pleasant for throwing shade on her character.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I don't know if they do. Many live outside the system and use public schools which is normal while some who live in the city have kids in different zones because of where they live. My youngest kids are in a suburban school with a handful of kids who go to the school their parents teach in. I do consider it a different situation, if you live in the city and/or don't send your kids to public schools. Yes, I've know public school teachers who sent their kids to private schools and I had little respect for them. I remember my own middle school science teacher who would brag about her kid in a private school while dissing public schools.

My child who is in that system is adopted through foster care. By the time we made him official and could put him in the suburban schools my other kids are in, he and hubby and I were great with him staying there. I've dealt with people in my own town looking at me like they are sorry that my poor child had to go to this school. I'd love to take them to the school so they could actually see it. Sure there are some kids who are rough, but it's not difficult to stay away from that. And honestly, my kid is extremely well adjusted and I think being in a city school is why.

Either way, I still don't like that his former teacher (now principal) of that school made the choice to segregate her kids from the ones she teaches. Around here, many private school parents have to slam public schools to justify their decisions and I believe this woman is sending the wrong message. She may not realize it, but she is.
Ah, the old "that's different" when it comes to oneself!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Schooling shouldn't matter one way or another for my kids. We are of middle-income SES, married, very involved parents, literate, lots of books in the home, etc, etc. Still, we chose the best educational option for us, which is not the public school. People want to do the best by their kids, regardless of whether the outcome would be similar somewhere that isn't quite best.

While I don't know about your particular Catholic school, the one here has quite a few minority children and middle-class families. They offer a lot of financial aid to families who otherwise could not afford private school. So I wouldn't make the assumption that your principal is choosing a school based on racial/socio-economic variables by choosing a Catholic school.
Ok. Can I ask YOU why you chose a private school? I'm not being standoffish, I genuinely am curious. Is it because the public schools are bad? That seems to be a reason for most private school parents (parochial parent mostly) I know but they are totally wrong about the public school. Mostly they heard "bad" things that weren't true, they just assume private schools are bad, or just have snobby reasons. So yes, I can be defensive I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education