Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,602,741 times

Advertisements

Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,247,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.
Oh boy, this is a huge can of worms. I generally agree with you, though it's easier for me because I don't have kids. In a similar light, I become irritated with some of my co-workers who put down the school in which we work and live in further away suburbs because our school is not "good enough" for their kids. As a general rule, I do think that there can be an advantage for schools that have teachers and staff living within the community.

The issue usually comes down to this, and it's related to the discussion we're having on another thread: It's usually not so much an indictment in the belief of their own work, but an a lack of confidence in the environment created by the other students and families that are using the schools.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,905,456 times
I'm Not a teacher (but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express once), I've worked for companies, where I honesty did not like there products, But my job was to work there, Server the needs of the company.

I don't have a problem with a teacher putting there kids in a Private school, The overall school and the education the district provides may not be good enough. but if you can not get good teachers it will never improve.

If you require the teacher to put there kids in that system, the Teachers will look what good for there family, not take the job in a struggling district, and get a job in a "Safe/Good" district. And overtime the struggling distinct will get worse, and worse since they can not get good teachers to teach there.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Teachers do not make the school, the students and their families do.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,963,132 times
Although I am sure that it varies, almost every teacher that I worked with over the last 35 years, sent their children to public schools. The few that did not, did it because they wanted a religious education for their children.

Among my co-workers and friends who were teachers probably less than 5% sent their children to private religious schools.

Some of the teachers lived and worked in the same district and that is where their children attended school and others lived in nearby districts and that is where their children attended public schools. BTW, these were mostly typical middle class school districts. Perhaps, my experience would have been very different if I lived or worked in a struggling, inner city, poverty ridden school district.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-15-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Oh boy, this is a huge can of worms. I generally agree with you, though it's easier for me because I don't have kids. In a similar light, I become irritated with some of my co-workers who put down the school in which we work and live in further away suburbs because our school is not "good enough" for their kids. As a general rule, I do think that there can be an advantage for schools that have teachers and staff living within the community.

The issue usually comes down to this, and it's related to the discussion we're having on another thread: It's usually not so much an indictment in the belief of their own work, but an a lack of confidence in the environment created by the other students and families that are using the schools.
I should have been clearer. This woman lives in the community but doesn't send her kids to the public schools. They go to a catholic school. I get public school teachers who live in a different town or public school district...my own parents couldn't afford the town they taught in. I guess my point is that if you believe in public education enough to work in it, you'd send your kids to public schools. Sure there are circumstances that could require a different setting for a student, but I don't think this is the case.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teachers do not make the school, the students and their families do.
Agreed. But this woman (to me at least) sends the message that the public school system she works in isn't good enough for her kids. The school she sends them to is actually known as "White Refuge" whereas the school she teaches in is predominately African American and Hispanic with white kids making up about one third of the school.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Agreed. But this woman (to me at least) sends the message that the public school system she works in isn't good enough for her kids. The school she sends them to is actually known as "White Refuge" whereas the school she teaches in is predominately African American and Hispanic with white kids making up about one third of the school.
You don't know that. I went to Catholic school 1-8 because my parents wanted us to have a religious education.

Complete different set of values as well as some additional curriculum in religious schools.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm Not a teacher (but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express once), I've worked for companies, where I honesty did not like there products, But my job was to work there, Server the needs of the company.

I don't have a problem with a teacher putting there kids in a Private school, The overall school and the education the district provides may not be good enough. but if you can not get good teachers it will never improve.

If you require the teacher to put there kids in that system, the Teachers will look what good for there family, not take the job in a struggling district, and get a job in a "Safe/Good" district. And overtime the struggling distinct will get worse, and worse since they can not get good teachers to teach there.
Except that much of the time, those stereotypes you listed aren't true. Those failing schools still have the same advanced classes as high performing ones and "safe"?? Last I checked these mass shootings took place in upper middle class districts.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't know that. I went to Catholic school 1-8 because my parents wanted us to have a religious education.

Complete different set of values and come curriculum in religious schools.
Her kids are now in high school and catholic schools don't teach the religious values the way they used to. And I'm sorry - I know probably a hundre of people that put their kids in catholic schools and I think three of them did it because of the religion, the rest did it to get away from the "riff raff"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education