Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:21 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,098 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how Common Core has anything to do with urban/rural. It's establishing common standards across states; states already had the same standards for their rural and urban schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 02:52 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

More emphasis on learning concepts, less on memorizing nonsense. How do you feel the pre-CCSS standards were closer to the Finnish standard?
I think the CCSS does a poor job at developing concepts. Specifically in mathematics. And whether anyone likes it or not, memorization is required for some mathematics concepts. Memorization of multiplication facts in the lower grades were always taught after the development of the concept ("Circle three groups of four apples." " How many is that?" or whatever) There was no more memorization after the implementation of the CCSS than before. At least in math. In fact before the CCSS and NCLB, I was allowed to choose my pace so I could do more developmental activities.

The Finnish have a very good model, when you look at it in its entirety. But it costs a lot of money and they are better with money than our government, imo.

If our federal government said they would implement the Finnish model here, we could expect the biggest boondoggle of government spending ever. Just look at the CCSS boondoggle and the billions spent so far.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
.... Because while CC is a nationwide curriculum..
Common Core is a set of standards.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It would be nice if schools would go back to the basics, teaching kids spelling and grammar, and what homonyms and synonyms are; teaching them how to correctly comprehend the things they read; and basic math- addition, subtraction, multiplication and division...so that maybe I can get the correct change and the correct order at Mickey D's.

Reading C-D makes me wonder just what people *have* been doing in school all day, instead of learning these things.
They do teach all of that. Some kids don't store the learning in their long term memories, and some kids never learn those things. The majority of kids do learn all of that and store it in their long term memories.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Its hard to show your work when there are billions of combinations. Each of the 18 stamps is obviously a unique object so any given page of three stamps could have:

Stamps A, B and C
Stamps A, B and D
Stamps A, B and E ....

I believe there are 4896 arrangements (assuming order matters - A,B,C is a unique arrangement from B,A,C) on the first page of 3 stamps. A page of 9 has approx. 1.76 billion combinations. There will be less on subsequent pages since some of the stamps have already been used. Then you throw in the matter of differing numbers of stamps on each page. This is a high school level discrete math problem.
Finding the _optimal_ algorithm is discrete math. Finding an algorithm is much lower level. Since this is third grade math, you know it is a grouping problem (meant for identical interchangeable objects). If this was 8-12 grade, you would expect permutations and combinations. College? O() order analysis.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Common Core is a set of standards.
Try telling engage ny and other state sites that. It's considered a curriculum.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:02 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Disagree. The countries who focus on rote memorization of math facts in early grades do poorly in international rankings. The countries who top the rankings virtually ignore rote memorization in early grades.

Box clever: Singapore's magic formula for maths success | Schools | News | The Independent

Good god I wouldn't have gotten past algebra if it weren't for rote memorization. Not to say that understanding how and why of a solution isn't important, it just takes to long as math gets harder. Because of memorization, I can easily multiply and divide large numbers in my head.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:06 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
This new system is not going to solve the real issue, which is socio economic. CC is not going to help inner city children any better. It's not going to level the playing field.

And I don't see those two Americans as exceptions to the old system at all. Hundreds of millions didn't fail. This is about our government wanting us to compete with other nations.
This. All education, not just math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education