Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No, of course not.
LOL! If you tell a health care provider you're not planning to sue, it's interpreted as "I'm planning to sue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
The school's not liable and how ridiculous of you to think it is. Kids get hurt...especially athletic kids. Go ahead and sue the school so that there won't be any sports for the kids to play eventually.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:39 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacci View Post
My daughter is on the school volleyball team. While she was in a play during a school game she fell backwards and hurt her wrist. The coach put ice on it and said it's probably just sprained. I took her to the doctor immediately after and it turns out she fractured her wrist. How liable is the school for her injury? I'm not looking to sue the school or anything, I just want to make sure she is protected. Thanks!

Where did you get the idea that the school would be liable?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Where did you get the idea that the school would be liable?
My guess is that the OP's daughter never gets hurt, it's a possible payday or she doesn't go by the theory that sometimes stuff just happens. I'm guessing she doesn't have a son either because those lovable idiots constantly put themselves in physical danger without thinking. Raising boys makes you immune to fretting over injuries. Then again, I'm a nurse and I minimize a lot.

Anyway, four active kids under eighteen in this house and had I thought about it, I could sue: the school, the YMCA, the opposing school one was playing, the woods, the neighbors, the park, the rockwall along my driveway, the coach, ourselves, and plenty more I can't think about right now.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
My daughter is on the school volleyball team. While she was in a play during a school game she fell backwards and hurt her wrist. The coach put ice on it and said it's probably just sprained. I took her to the doctor immediately after and it turns out she fractured her wrist. How liable is the school for her injury? I'm not looking to sue the school or anything, I just want to make sure she is protected. Thanks!
The minute you use the phrase "liable for the injury," then you are thinking in terms of legal action whether you want to admit it or not.

Unless you can prove abusive conduct outside of the normal rigors of athletics, you'd have a seriously hard time making this stick. She voluntarily signed up for volleyball and you likely signed a sheaf of releases and forms. This means that you voluntarily shouldered the manifest risks of a daughter playing competitive volleyball.

Jeez.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:

Pretty sure you signed a permission slip absolving the school of injuries when she signed up for sports.

If you aren't thinking of suing, why is this even a question?

If you want her to be protected, get medical insurance.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Both of my kids have been to the ER multiple times, from Little League right up through high school sports. Diving for the basketball, hit with a line drive, poor tackling technique, you name it. It happens. Be thankful your kid has the desire to test herself physically.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
You use the word liable and then say you aren't planning to sue. If you aren't planning to sue why use that word?

You mention you want her protected. In what way?

It sounds to me like you are looking for a payday.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Life happens. It's why you have health insurance.

Over the years, one kid broke his leg on playground at school; another broke his finger at school; another had to wear a boot for 6 weeks due to a sports injury. Same on who broke his leg also injured his knee a few years later during a school activity. Two needed stitches for various injuries.

For each incident, I took them to the doctor and/or hospital, depending on the severity of the injury, got a treatment plan, and followed through. Injuries are a part of participating in activities. Sure, they might have been safer sitting at home on the couch, but then they would not have gotten to LIVE their lives as kids.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:45 PM

639 posts, read 579,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Protected from what?
Exactly, Are we getting an answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education