Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving out of Michigan to find a job that pays decent. Michigan does a lot of tongue wagging about a shortage of STEM teachers but reality is there will be a dozen applicants for every job and new teachers, including STEM teachers are treated as disposable. With wages frozen here I really have to find something else. So my question is are there any states that really have a STEM shortage that would negotiate a starting salary for a STEM teacher? I'm not going to move to start at step 0 again and get stuck there again. BTDT and I'm not making the same mistake twice. I figure if there really is a shortage...somewhere...they'd be willing to negotiate starting salaries. Do any of you know of any areas that will negotiate starting salaries for STEM teachers?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-09-2016 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I don't think my district would negotiate the salary, but they would give you credit for previous years taught. The maximum entry step is 15.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:19 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Mississippi has a perennial shortage of teachers. Our district has a chemistry position posted in what used to be our top-rated high school. I don't know how much credit they would give you for your years of experience.

The best thing about living in Mississippi is No Snow! (Although it will be 25 degrees tonight.)

Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
The top education states are always looking for good, highly qualified STEM teachers, at least in the better districts. But no there is not a shortage of regular STEM teachers.

My district is a STEM district and we have high turn over of untenured teachers since many of our new STEM teachers don't fit the programs they were hired for very well. And yes, as a district they always negotiate salaries, I only had two years of teaching when I was hired but they hired me at step 7 because of my years of research experience. For most of the STEM positions at our school we don't get dozens of applicants, and certainly not dozens of qualified applicants.

Maybe you should do something to set yourself apart from the pack. Get nationally certified, win some national level awards or recognition, etc. Otherwise why should they treat/pay you any differently than any other teacher?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM

My district is always hiring, but they are holding a specific job fair to recruit teachers in the following critical needs areas:

Audiologist
English as a Second Language
General Ed. Grades 4-6
Immersion (Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Spanish)
Latin
Librarian
Mathematics
Occupational Therapy
Physical Therapy
Physics
Reading
School Counseling
Spanish
Special Education
Speech-language Pathologist
Technology Education

Ivory, Are you near Allendale, Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti, MI?

Edit: I sent you a PM

Last edited by tgbwc; 01-10-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My district is always hiring, but they are holding a specific job fair to recruit teachers in the following critical needs areas:

Audiologist
English as a Second Language
General Ed. Grades 4-6
Immersion (Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Spanish)
Latin
Librarian
Mathematics
Occupational Therapy
Physical Therapy
Physics
Reading
School Counseling
Spanish
Special Education
Speech-language Pathologist
Technology Education

Ivory, Are you near Allendale, Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti, MI?

Edit: I sent you a PM
I'm think I'm in the same district. I agree it's a good job market. Also, the nearby districts. There is some negotiation possible as far as how many years credit they will give you, but it's usually that they try to give as many as possible.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'm think I'm in the same district. I agree it's a good job market. Also, the nearby districts. There is some negotiation possible as far as how many years credit they will give you, but it's usually that they try to give as many as possible.
Correct. You can somewhat negotiate the step, but not the dollar amount at that step.

My wife worked in a private school for ten years. When the county hired her they started her off on step 11. They didn't have to, but they wanted her and that was even on a provisional license.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm considering moving out of Michigan to find a job that pays decent. Michigan does a lot of tongue wagging about a shortage of STEM teachers but reality is there will be a dozen applicants for every job and new teachers, including STEM teachers are treated as disposable. With wages frozen here I really have to find something else. So my question is are there any states that really have a STEM shortage that would negotiate a starting salary for a STEM teacher? I'm not going to move to start at step 0 again and get stuck there again. BTDT and I'm not making the same mistake twice. I figure if there really is a shortage...somewhere...they'd be willing to negotiate starting salaries. Do any of you know of any areas that will negotiate starting salaries for STEM teachers?
Just keep in mind WEP.

FICA jobs vs non FICA jobs and what that will do to your Social Security when you file.

I have met so many teachers and paras here in Texas that didn't know about WEP.
I have my 30 qualifying FICA years so I'm exempt from WEP.

WEP stands for Windfall Elimination Provision.
You can read up on it on the SS site.

If you have a Masters you can also consider college teaching in some states.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
if you a stem teacher you can get a job anywhere, I over heard a prinicpal of a high last week tell someone, you a stem teacher, I will hire you monday.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:57 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If you are willing to work in rural Illinois, they are having issues getting teachers.

http://abc7chicago.com/education/ill...tions/1153694/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education