Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 PM

269 posts, read 480,629 times

Advertisements

I have only heard this on RHONJ. Teresa, the one who when to jail speaks like this. Why won't she pronounce her Ts. It's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Here's a personal admission about off-putting (at least to my ears) regional dialects. I've been trying for at least two decades to rid myself of yer and fir in place of your and for. I've made great progress, but it still creeps in occasionally and gives me away as a southern Ohioan.
Oh my gosh, me too!! I hate hearing yer and fer come out of my mouth! I lived most of my life in central Indiana. I'm sure there are other Midwest pronunciations I've tried to get rid of, but I can't think of them now.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
I don't hear it where I live in Colorado. But dialects evolve, yes. We muddle our ts in words like little and I'm sure someone somewhere in the past would have cringed at that, and certain British accents turn that into a glottal stop. So, nothing new under the sun..... one trend I hear on TV that really annoys me is vocal fry in young women in particular. A little bit of it I don't notice, but when pop singers even sing that way, just ugh! I can't stand the sound....

Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Just found a YouTube clip that talks about the pronunciation of t's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zITpVgb7pe8

Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
When I first moved from England to the US I ordered water with my meal, the waitress bought me vodka }:\ I've since learned to ask for wadder.
We were taught elocution at school, my grandmother wouldn't entertain us if we didn't speak properly.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:15 PM

211 posts, read 211,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
People with an education and in a professional role speak properly. 'Nuff said.
Linguistic snobs are hilariously dumb (and clueless).

Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 PM

211 posts, read 211,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
People without training in linguistics often think the way they talk is different from the way they actually talk.

If all the people who say they "pronounce" intervocalic "t" listened to a recording of themselves they would likely understand the difference. For example, the consonant sound in the middle of the words "latter" and "ladder" is pronounced the same. It's called a flap d. The only way you can tell the difference is that the length of the preceding vowel (I'm not talking about the so-called Long A or Short A here) is longer before the voiced consonant in "ladder".

If you pronounce all the "t"s in a word the same way, with an aspiration the way you would at the beginning of a word, you're doing it wrong.

Glottalization of t's, especially after back vowels or consonants (as in "bottle" or "mountain"), has been going on for centuries and isn't going away.
A smart post! Thank God!
I am always amused by non-linguists and their "OMG...that's so annoying! Speak proper English!" diatribes. They have no clue how language works and they truly believe the myth of the "Standard American English"...

Old 01-14-2016, 08:49 PM

505 posts, read 501,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Linguistic snobs are hilariously dumb (and clueless).
It almost seems the linguistic snobs have never taken even a basic linguistics class, otherwise they'd know that speaking with a certain dialect doesn't make the things you're saying "wrong."

Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
The video posted above explained it well.

Do you lis-Ten to music or do you "lissen" to music?

Do you have a DahTer, or do you have a dauder? (daughter)

Regional speak/accents are what they are.

I'm more concerned about those kids whose parents don't get them speech therapy for their inability to pronounce the letter "r" correctly no matter where they live.

Not all grow out of it and it's really NOT cute to hear a 17 year old say, "Awe you coming to my pawty?"

And even worse when it's a 20-something +.

My 8 year old was playing with a 5th grader today at ASP (parents of 5th grader are good friends of ours, he's a sweet kid - the boys know each other well but haven't seen each other in a while) and my 8 year old said to me, after giving me the run-down on how much fun he had playing with "Joe" after so long, "Where does his accent come from?".

No accent…the "r" issue.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It has nothing to do with being a snob. There is a proper way to proununce words, and there is an improper way to pronunce words. Being wrong is not an "evolution" -- it is ignorance.
Really, Joe from Day-in?

Many Americans do not pronounce a "t" in the middle of the word.

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cobicdw98o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education