Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I still say warsh and the 1st president of the United States is pronounced Warshington.

I even knew a girl who would spell it that way.
I never did. But various people from my region do. It seems to be primarily older generations, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't hear it where I live in Colorado. But dialects evolve, yes. We muddle our ts in words like little and I'm sure someone somewhere in the past would have cringed at that, and certain British accents turn that into a glottal stop. So, nothing new under the sun..... one trend I hear on TV that really annoys me is vocal fry in young women in particular. A little bit of it I don't notice, but when pop singers even sing that way, just ugh! I can't stand the sound....
That is a real one that drives my mother nuts. I blame Kim Kardashian (seriously, listen to her for two minutes if you can stand it.) I don't notice it in speaking with people but I do notice it sometimes in entertainment.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Addendum: Just saw a commercial for RotoClipper where the narrator says " ... just push the buh-un ..." instead of "just push the but-un ..." There was no 't' in that word - not even close. I don't think it's regional.
I looked up the commercial, and the word button does sound awkward; however, I think the weirdness comes from a longer glottal stop than is typical for the pronunciation of the word here in America. When I say the word button aloud, I can clearly hear that I do not pronounce the T, but it's quite fast, so it sounds Midwestern American rather than working class British. Now that I know what you're hearing, I'll keep an ear out for it and try to report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And even at the time (watching the movie as an upper Midwestern high schooler myself), I was hard pressed to think of anybody where I was who talked that way. I think I just chalked it up to "probably a SoCal thing."

Where I grew up, (some) people might way "warsh" instead of wash, but they call Elton John "Elton," not "El-in."
I knew I had read something about this awhile ago, and I finally found it.

The Intrusive R

My gg-grandmother was a Scotch-Irish immigrant from Northern Ireland, and I'm beginning to wonder if my father's use of the intrusive R is a remnant of her speech patterns passed down through his grandmother, with whom my dad spent much time as a youngster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That is a real one that drives my mother nuts. I blame Kim Kardashian (seriously, listen to her for two minutes if you can stand it.) I don't notice it in speaking with people but I do notice it sometimes in entertainment.
Vocal fry combined with up talk, which is the term used for sentences that rise in pitch at the end (as if the speaker is asking a question) is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. It seems to be particularly prevalent among middle school girls in my part of the country.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-15-2016 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Combined two posts

Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I know a lady, born in the 50's, from a white working class part of New Jersey who says "New-in" instead of "Newton" (the name of a town nearby).

People have written scholarly books about socio-economic and regional pronunciations of different words.
I can recall hearing the glottal stop in the US only recently and only two examples. One was a newscaster in Dallas (traffic or weather, I don't recall), who did it constantly. She presumably was from somewhere else.

The other relates to New Jersey, like the example in the quoted passage, specifically the state university of New Jersey (Rutgers). Apparently, lots of people in New Jersey replace the "t" with a glottal stop, and "Rutgers" comes out as "Ruckers".

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Chicago got rid of the T long ago. Da bears! Da bulls!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:27 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In my region, you'll year "continennal," but "important" sounds like it looks.

Is your Irish background from Dublin? That's where I heard the most dropping of the "th." Not so much in other parts of the country.

I tend to overpronounce compared to others in my region, but it's from years of choral singing. Classical choral training requires the overemphasis of consonants, especially, because when singing with an 80-100 voice ensemble, all singers don't have very crisp consonants individually(overly crisp, actually), everything sounds muddy from the audience. So you go very much the other direction, and it sounds normal in the end, after reverb and everything.
My ancestors came from Northern Ireland.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That is more of a dialect. Like replacing these, them, those with deez, dem, doze. It is replacing the th sound with d.
The disappearing t seems to be a different situation.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That's an issue with the "th" digraph, not dropping the T in favor of a glottal stop, though. It's also increasingly less common outside of some older school white working class populations, and was never commonplace in Chicago's non-white populations.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
I was just being funny (SNL), sorry. Carry on.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Coincidentally, I just ran across this funny little video on CNN today, which addresses the Mid-Atlantic dialect I mentioned in an earlier post.

What's With Old-Timey Accents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education