Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

About 17 years ago, I decided to actually go to one of my class reunions and spoke to a former classmate who was heading up the event. I had never been to a reunion, and when I started asking about some former friends I hadn't seen in years she began telling me "Oh, he is now gone," or, " he is now in very bad health".

I was so depressed and didn't want to remember them like that, so I didn't go to the reunion and never have. Too many old people there !

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenu View Post
Just got word that a girl I went to High School with was killed in a tragic automobile accident Apparently she ran off the road. It was icey and possibly texting involved.
In elementary school one of my classmates died of a liver disease (5th grade).

High school, classmate was electrocuted/died when he was crawling on top of a train (Germany).

In high school a really cute girl classmate was murdered when she moved to California to go to college (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHp6r8hIvA).

My freshman college roommate was murdered ("Dateline NBC" Reports on Case of Joseph Morrissey, the NSU Professor Murdered in Plantation | NBC 6 South Florida).

I'm the age now that I'm hearing now and then when a classmate prematurely passes away. Really make you try to take advantage of every day an live life to its fullest.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:37 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
At my 20 year high school reunion I found out that one my best friends there had died of AIDS some years earlier.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
I'm sure I've had some former classmates who have died. In fact, I've been teaching since 1998 and know of four former students of mine who have died (and those only because their deaths made the papers - there could be more who were not publicized.)

Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I will be out of high school 40 years. A number of my classmates are dead. A couple of heart attacks, cancer, a woman who shot herself in the head, a guy who was in a terrible accident and died a few years later from the damage, an alcoholic from health problems related to drinking. Not as many as you would think, though, after 40 years. Maybe 6 out of a class of 119.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 PM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
2 motorcycle accidents, 1 truck accident,2 natural causes, 4 murdered. I've only been out of high school 6.5 years now.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 PM

678 posts, read 697,505 times
one of them was shot up the street from my house
one was shot on the night of high school graduation
and the girl had a seizure.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
I've lost 2 from suicide when they were young. One from illness and one from a car accident at a young age and 2 just this year (40+ years after high school) from cancer and a heart attack. Now that we're all in our 60's I'm sure it will become a more regular affair unfortunately.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
2 motorcycle accidents, 1 truck accident,2 natural causes, 4 murdered. I've only been out of high school 6.5 years now.

4 murdered within 6 1/2 years? Wherever you're living, move.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:46 AM

55 posts, read 45,288 times
OMFG just HOW many people do I know that have already died. Not only have I known of my own high school classmates who've died, but I've known of many friends who've died from the neighboring/rival high school, and I've even had one of my own students die too. Four years ago one of my own students was murdered while walking home at night, only a few months before his graduation. It was a total cold case and never pursued. Because my city sucks and has one of the highest murder rates in the country, they just pushed it under a rug and didn't really do much investigating. There's a girl from my high school who tragically passed away as a newlywed on her honeymoon (along with her husband) during a boating accident in another country. At my school and the neighboring school there were a few who died while attending high school, or shortly after graduating, from overdoses. At the neighboring school, a friend of mine and a long-time ex-boyfriend who I really cared about both died at or near the age of 30. I think the death that affected me the most was that of my ex-boyfriend. It's been almost 10 years now, I'm now married with kids, but I STILL cannot get over it. I've had no success with any type of "counseling" for getting over it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education