Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Maybe your district is a lot different than every other school district where I have worked in my close to 40 year teaching career, but I have never heard of a district hiring a 1 to 1 aide for a student for that reason. If a district is willing to spend an additional $20,000 or more a year, plus benefits, for just one child they have to have a very good reason.

How is the 1 to 1 aide listed in her IEP? In my area, there needs to be a very detailed written justification of why the child needs the aide someplace in the official paperwork. Usually the aide is to make sure that the child has a Free, Appropriate Public Education because without the aide the child would not receive it.

How long has she had the aide?

Was there severe bullying before the aide? And, has it stopped now that she has a 1 to 1 aide?

I still think that there is "more to this story".
Exactly this. Don't you have a copy of the IEP? You do have the right to refuse accommodations OP. Just be sure that's in the best interests of your daughter. Request a review of her IEP and get the answers you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 03:47 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
What sorts of issues did she have when you were fostering her? Has she EVER been in counseling to deal with her family of origin? What sort of guidance have YOU been given with this whole situation?

No student has an aide with them because they might get raped if they do not have an aide. That's ridiculous. What's the REAL story?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM

500 posts, read 747,980 times
The school cannot make unilateral decisions regarding her accommodations. Legally, you are a member of her education team and an integral part of the IEP team. Call an IEP meeting and bring a special education advocate (you can often find one for free in some communities).

Old 02-03-2016, 04:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Does she have 2 parents or one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education