Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
In my area its so you...ehem...are surrounded with people more in line ehem...with your standards and beliefs and....ehem....cough white cough.
Meh. You could say the same about the affluent suburban public schools. Usually when someone asks for "top public schools" on relocation forums like this, it's code for upper-middle class schools with majority white kids. They're probably not going to come out and say that, but the districts recommended in those discussions (when someone's top criteria for a neighborhood or suburb is public schools) are almost invariably upper-middle class, white or Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Hmmm. I am also in the deep south and there are a good number of smart, respectable, well-behaved, hard working, college aspiring, kind and sweet African American children at my child's prep school. And many other ethnicities as well. Color of skin doesn't dictate standards and beliefs.
Oh please. In a City where we have something like 60% white these schools are close to 95% white.

Heres one of them in my area. Mostly white with a few token non whites for the demographics card.
bollesschool

Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Meh. You could say the same about the affluent suburban public schools. Usually when someone asks for "top public schools" on relocation forums like this, it's code for upper-middle class schools with majority white kids. They're probably not going to come out and say that, but the districts recommended in those discussions (when someone's top criteria for a neighborhood or suburb is public schools) are almost invariably upper-middle class, white or Asian.
I disagree. For one thing, why should parents not want good schools for their kids? Why assume everyone is a closet racist while you're at it?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I disagree. For one thing, why should parents not want good schools for their kids? Why assume everyone is a closet racist while you're at it?
Ask thatguydownsouth. He's the one that suggested parents choose private schools simply because of the racial factor, and I pointed out that the public schools people clamor for usually aren't bastions of diversity, either...

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if we declare that parents are sending their kids to private schools simply because of the racial factor, then we should probably apply that same logic to the parents who choose the top-performing public schools, too.

(Not that I agree with either of those statements. You're right- parents should want good schools for their kids. But good schools in most cases merely means good demographics.

Last edited by strawflower; 02-11-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM

997 posts, read 850,844 times
. And the proper words are "you're" and "their," it's an education forum for goodness' sake. [/quote]
If this is your best defense for these criminals you support, I feel sorry for you.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Oh please. In a City where we have something like 60% white these schools are close to 95% white.

Heres one of them in my area. Mostly white with a few token non whites for the demographics card.
bollesschool
It must be different where you are... the top private High School near me is very diverse...

See my post 40.

//www.city-data.com/forum/42912924-post40.html

The thing that is elite is nearly all, 97%, go on to college...

Old 02-11-2016, 04:21 PM

997 posts, read 850,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Christian Catholic Schools here are tops at college prep...

Bishop O Dowd is the local Catholic High School located in East Oakland California.

Bishop O'Dowd High School - Home Page

295 students graduated and 286 went on to college.

Bishop O'Dowd High School - School Profile

Again, this is an inner city school that draws student far and wide... even from suburbia.

22% African American
11% Asian
42% European White
14% Latino
10% other

30% receive financial aid...
In 2013, they had 258 graduates, only 150 took the ACT. They scored 24.2, above the national average but nothing to brag about. If every graduate would've taken the test, the average most likely would be lower.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Because many are. In my childhood, catholic schools quietly used people's fears of blacks to their advantage. Now, while they have become more diverse, their enrollment is still enhanced by people wanting to escape "less desirable" kids they have not even met. I know my experiences as the mom of black child are never worthy to posters here, but I will state my opinion again. Too many people whether dealing with diverse races or socioeconomics are quick to think the worst of public schools that aren't homogeneous. To be fair, many are simply being snobs, many sadly are just keeping up with the Jones'. I can't tell you how many people I've seen struggle to maintain an expensive lifestyle because they insisted on public schools in an upper crust town. It's not just reaching for the mortgage that kills them, but affording what's needed for their kids to not be outsiders.

As for what are good schools....I think most public schools are good. Unfortunately, they are judged by the percentage of students who aren't getting the educational support and encouragement at home or being judged on family income. I've accepted that is how people think. But I'll still defend schools. If failing schools still offer more extracurriculars than the private schools and still get kids into good colleges (no matter how few), then I know the opportunity is there. You sound like an involved parent so you should know it's not so much "wanting good schools" as it is "making good schools" through support for your child and the school system.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It must be different where you are... the top private High School near me is very diverse...

See my post 40.

//www.city-data.com/forum/42912924-post40.html

The thing that is elite is nearly all, 97%, go on to college...
Of course they do...they don't allow in kids who don't have college in their future.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Ask thatguydownsouth. He's the one that suggested parents choose private schools simply because of the racial factor, and I pointed out that the public schools people clamor for usually aren't bastions of diversity, either...

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if we declare that parents are sending their kids to private schools simply because of the racial factor, then we should probably apply that same logic to the parents who choose the top-performing public schools, too.

(Not that I agree with either of those statements. You're right- parents should want good schools for their kids. But good schools in most cases merely means good demographics.
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education