Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would have more use for learning French?
Someone living in western Canada 5 35.71%
Someone living in northern New England 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 AM

602 posts, read 504,783 times

Advertisements

In North America, who do you think would have more of a use for learning French?

Someone who lives in western Canada, where French exists mainly in officialdom (and at least one other language probably outstrips French in terms of numbers of speakers locally/provincially).

-OR-

Someone who lives close to Quebec but on the U.S. side of the border (e.g. ME, NH, VT, parts of upstate NY), where unlike most parts of the U.S. French is the most likely non-English language they'll hear in their area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
In North America, who do you think would have more of a use for learning French?

Someone who lives in western Canada, where French exists mainly in officialdom (and at least one other language probably outstrips French in terms of numbers of speakers locally/provincially).

-OR-

Someone who lives close to Quebec but on the U.S. side of the border (e.g. ME, NH, VT, parts of upstate NY), where unlike most parts of the U.S. French is the most likely non-English language they'll hear in their area.
My cousin lived in VT, only 15 minutes from the border. Took french all 4 years in high school. Never used it except to go to Paris for spring break her senior year.

I have no idea about the other option, but I suspect most people have little use/need for french but many find enjoyment in the language itself.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I don't understand the question. There are other parts of the US where French is spoken. I hear it daily.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 PM

602 posts, read 504,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't understand the question. There are other parts of the US where French is spoken. I hear it daily.
Of course there are - the places where French is the most spoken language after English in the U.S. is more limited (with northern New England being one of them). (In the majority of the U.S. Spanish is the most likely second language you'd hear.)

Old 02-22-2016, 01:48 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Northern New England. You can commonly hear French spoken in parts of Maine and Vermont.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 12,170 times
Neither. The people who will have a use for French are the people who plan to travel to a French-speaking country, usually France, but it could be Africa as well, for study or tourism. There's also French Polynesia. I haven't heard of anyone studying French in order to go to Canada.
Studying French can also be a good grounding for people who would go on to study Spanish, a more practical Romance language.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Freedom Fries

"Who would have more use for learning French?"
Someone in the military who likes cheese.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Neither.....for I would say someone who expected to work in the Pacific or the west coast of Africa.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:37 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Elementary school in upstate NY taught a bit of French. Visited Quebec some years later but before we got out of HS. Brother ahead with 3 additional H.S. French classes but still didn't care to speak it in any of the restaurants or hotel family visited.

I believe it could help if someone were to decide to move from those areas to Quebec for a job someday, or if they were in the tourist industry. I'm sure knowing languages can be very helpful.

Isn't some French or similar spoken down in New Orleans as well?

I didn't remember a whole lot of Spanish but managed a few conversations between our Italian landlords on occasion with the help of a phrase book (sometimes on hand) but that doesn't have all the words/definitions one may be looking for when checking on heat/cooling systems in a house.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
...Isn't some French or similar spoken down in New Orleans as well?...
I did some research on the Louisiana French dialects a while back. I found it to be very interesting. There's an emphasis on teaching traditional French in the schools there now, while retaining the local dialects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education