Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 AM

34 posts, read 44,069 times

Advertisements

Professor Patrick Deneen explains how kids have become a generation of know-nothings -- Society's Child -- Sott.net

A good article I fully agree with. It is fairly short but makes a lot of great points and sadly is so very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:33 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
The professor lumps all off his students into one batch, with the only exceptions being due to serendipity. Sorta know-nothing of him. The article is more of a chance for him to pat himself on the back about his prestigious teaching career than anything else.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
This sort of stuff cracks me up.

Every professor thinks that their field is "the important one," and that all students should have a solid knowledge of whatever they teach for a living -- for instance the Peloponnesian war. When those standards are not met it constitutes a "crisis."

Meanwhile the Biology prof is freaking out that we won't have any future doctors, because students didn't memorize the Krebs cycle in high school. And the CS prof is freaking out that students don't understand inheritance, and jesus, how is humanity ever going to write software again?

And even worse, they always blame it on the "Educational system" , which -- news flash -- they are a central part of.

Last edited by le roi; 03-07-2016 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Here in Maryland they've been firing college presidents for saying this. Two in the last few months.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
So, have your students learn some more western history.

Problem solved.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
If a student needs or wants to know the facts referenced in the article, there are many ways available of finding the information. I've successfully navigated nearly four decades of life without knowing how Socrates died or who fought in the Peloponnesian War. Shocking, I know.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Any kid who's read Harry Potter and has Google handy should know who Guy Fawkes was.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Angry Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJonz View Post
Professor Patrick Deneen explains how kids have become a generation of know-nothings -- Society's Child -- Sott.net

A good article I fully agree with. It is fairly short but makes a lot of great points and sadly is so very true.

Darn kids these days!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
I teach in an inner-city school, and for the past 30 years, I have regularly taught my students who Socrates was, how he died and for what reason, whom he taught (Plato), whom Plato taught (Aristotle), and whom Aristotle taught (Alexander the Great). I teach about Martin Luther and his 95 theses and Martin Luther King Jr.'s practice of civil disobedience as modeled by Henry David Thoreau and Gandhi. I also throw in binary numbers, factorials, and imaginary numbers from time to time, along with dialectical materialism, Orwell's 1984, and John Locke's tabula rasa. Most of this I learned from my high school government teacher, who inspired me to teach students as opposed to teaching a curriculum.

The author of this column is absolutely correct when he says that the system has changed from one of education and enlightenment to one bereft of the transmission of knowledge in favor of testing (testing, testing) isolated skills. No longer are students guided through classic literature in search of universal truths. Now, if they study literature at all, it is in search of the author's purpose, as testing in the ubiquitous Pearson texts and tests. The goal is now to teach a content-free curriculum and the result is content-free students going off to college not even knowing what they don't know.

As I learned from Socrates, the wise man knows he is a fool. The unexamined life is not worth living.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I teach in an inner-city school, and for the past 30 years, I have regularly taught my students who Socrates was, how he died and for what reason, whom he taught (Plato), whom Plato taught (Aristotle), and whom Aristotle taught (Alexander the Great). I teach about Martin Luther and his 95 theses and Martin Luther King Jr.'s practice of civil disobedience as modeled by Henry David Thoreau and Gandhi. I also throw in binary numbers, factorials, and imaginary numbers from time to time, along with dialectical materialism, Orwell's 1984, and John Locke's tabula rasa. Most of this I learned from my high school government teacher, who inspired me to teach students as opposed to teaching a curriculum.

The author of this column is absolutely correct when he says that the system has changed from one of education and enlightenment to one bereft of the transmission of knowledge in favor of testing (testing, testing) isolated skills. No longer are students guided through classic literature in search of universal truths. Now, if they study literature at all, it is in search of the author's purpose, as testing in the ubiquitous Pearson texts and tests. The goal is now to teach a content-free curriculum and the result is content-free students going off to college not even knowing what they don't know.

As I learned from Socrates, the wise man knows he is a fool. The unexamined life is not worth living.
Wish I could rep this one a thousand times over; the handful of teachers I recall from my high school days followed the same method.

But I have to ask one very hard question; one that is probably on the minds of your bureaucrat-overlords every day:

ARE YOU SUFFICIENTLY POLITICALLY CORRECT???

Regrettably, that consideration seems to be driving (and destroying) what's left of public education more than any other factor.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-07-2016 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education